Health insurance for STV visa

Before doing this be aware that entering in an STV from July onward, you are no longer entitled to extension so no better than a regular TV at that point (which has no insurance requirement). And if you enter in say May or June, as I read it you will be able to get only 1 extension, not 2.

The most affordable immigration approved plan is LMG taking the maximum  200k baht deductible\.  HOWEVER  note that this leaves you effectively un insured. (In fact none of the immigration-approved policies provides adequate cover, even without a deductible). So separate travel policy strongly advised.

Everyone really needs to check their insurance and make sure they are fully covered.

As I've just found out. I was in quarantine travelling with my Thai wife and 3 year old daughter. We all had our first covid test and mine came back as inconclusive. I've had both jabs and feel 100% fine. As a result of this test I've been given 14 days extra quarantine in hospital and my wife the same in the hotel for being in contact with me. I thought I was covered by the insurance NO. So the hospital want 120,000THB for the 2 week stay and the hotel wants 100,000THB. So the total cost of our quarantine is going to be 340,000THB. Well that's a lesson learnt. I'm lucky I can afford it. How many more inconclusive tests will there be to other people that are not in a position to pay. Our total quarantine period is going to be from 12/04/21 to 01/05/21. So to all the poor people out there trying to save a penny? Please check before you fly if your not sick the insurance company will not pay. I totally understand this and accept their terms of contract. Safe travels to everyone.

• Sad 1

You can find all approved long-stay Thai insurance companies HERE.

LMG Insurance might be the cheapest, if you choose a 100k baht or 200k naht self-risk, see more HERE, just click on "Application Form" to see prices.

You will also need a Covid-19 insurance of equivalent to $100,000; you can find the official site HERE.

If you use any other than the approved insurance companies, your insurance certificate needs to be approved.

13 hours ago, Casablanca Digital Nomad R said:

Everyone really needs to check their insurance and make sure they are fully covered.

Sadly we are beholden to the Insurance Mafia.
I dont have time to check every Insurance Co. on that approved LongStay website, but I did check a few.  All have a 15-30 day waiting period for Covid coverage, among other things.

And they wont start the clock until you pass the border -- I asked.  So cannot start it in your Home Country 15+ days before you leave.

That leaves you "open" or somewhat un-insured during the 7-15 day quarantine period.

To cover Covid related during first 2 weeks, would have to buy 2nd coverage through the 2nd link -- https://covid19.tgia.org

This one has NO WAITING period.

So in essence 2 policies needed.  One from the LongStay for $100k and Covid (beyond waiting period).

2nd one through Covid19 one above, which for 30d is showing as -- Total Premium : THB 2,560

One guy recommended the Nomad Insurance (by Tokyo Marine I believe), which is great on the face of it.

https://safetywing.com/nomad-insurance/description-of-coverage.pdf

But dig deeper (Page 9) and its so dirty.

"Quarantine must be due to you testing positive for COVID-19/SARSCoV2, or you are symptomatic and waiting on diagnostic test results."

So in this guys case, "inconclusive" does not quite qualify as a positive test.  Plus by the way, the coverage is $50/day, come on.

Sure, what should we expect from $10/week insurance, you get what you pay for.. yes yes.. mostly right, but still.

Can you tell my position on Insurance by now ?

Edited by matador007
waiting period
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, matador007 said:

I dont have time to check every Insurance Co. on that approved LongStay website, but I did check a few.  All have a 15-30 day waiting period for Covid coverage, among other things.

And they wont start the clock until you pass the border -- I asked.  So cannot start it in your Home Country 15+ days before you leave.

That leaves you "open" or somewhat un-insured during the 7-15 day quarantine period.

To cover Covid related during first 2 weeks, would have to buy 2nd coverage through the 2nd link -- https://covid19.tgia.org

This one has NO WAITING period.

The 'longstay' site is for the required Health Insurance 400/40K coverage, not specific for Covid. Home - Health Insurance for Long Stay Visa in Thailand (tgia.org)

The Covid specific Insurance, also required is here Home - Covid 19 Insurance (tgia.org)

2 specific Insurance requirements, 2 specific sites.

2 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Which Insurance, with whom?

It does not matter who, and may violate Thai law to say.  As I said, and its clearly evident, these Insurance Policies have 15 (some 30) day "waiting" days for Covid coverage to kick in.  So no coverage during quarantine with just the 1 "big policy".

40 minutes ago, matador007 said:

It does not matter who, and may violate Thai law to say.  As I said, and its clearly evident, these Insurance Policies have 15 (some 30) day "waiting" days for Covid coverage to kick in.  So no coverage during quarantine with just the 1 "big policy".

Foreign policies maybe, which is why your advised to obtain any Insurance from the Thai approved Insurance list, where cover starts from the arrival date in Thailand.

20 hours ago, Casablanca Digital Nomad R said:

As I've just found out. I was in quarantine travelling with my Thai wife and 3 year old daughter. We all had our first covid test and mine came back as inconclusive. I've had both jabs and feel 100% fine. As a result of this test I've been given 14 days extra quarantine in hospital and my wife the same in the hotel for being in contact with me. I thought I was covered by the insurance NO. So the hospital want 120,000THB for the 2 week stay and the hotel wants 100,000THB. So the total cost of our quarantine is going to be 340,000THB. Well that's a lesson learnt. I'm lucky I can afford it. How many more inconclusive tests will there be to other people that are not in a position to pay. Our total quarantine period is going to be from 12/04/21 to 01/05/21. So to all the poor people out there trying to save a penny? Please check before you fly if your not sick the insurance company will not pay. I totally understand this and accept their terms of contract. Safe travels to everyone.

please clarify - which COVID insurance policy did you have? And was the issue the fact that the test was "inconclusive" as opposed to positive?

1 hour ago, matador007 said:

It does very much matter who or at least whether it was one of the approved Thai COVID policies vs a general health insurance policy vs an international travel policy.

Also very much matters what the issue with covering it was. That he was asymptomatic, or that the test was "inconclusive".

No problem legally to clarify these points.

Sheryl where you get this information?

Before doing this be aware that entering in an STV from July onward, you are no longer entitled to extension so no better than a regular TV at that point (which has no insurance requirement). And if you enter in say May or June, as I read it you will be able to get only 1 extension, not 2.

As much as I can find is that you can enter before september 30, but nothing about limit on extensions:

The Thailand Special Tourist Visa (STV) holders can enter Thailand starting on October 1, 2020 until September 30, 2021.

On 4/23/2021 at 11:33 AM, Tanoshi said:

Foreign policies maybe, which is why your advised to obtain any Insurance from the Thai approved Insurance list, where cover starts from the arrival date in Thailand.

I have a Thai Approved one mate, lets say it starts with P.  and 2nd word rhymes with LOSS -- and so does OP I would bet.

It has a "exclusion" that covid coverage does not start for 15 days upon entry.

The Thai Embassy, CoE all approved -- the actual policy is not checked to determine when Covid coverage starts.

If I want to be fully covered, of course I have to buy that 2nd Seperate policy to cover the waiting period.

Here is Remark at bottom from the "Brochure".  I believe you will find similar for all Thai Insurance Companies on that approved list.

remark_06_covid_15d.png.f6a3e65b34190ea276a0d61e60520981.png

I personally know what I am doing, taking a risk on first 15 days, by not spending 2600 baht to cover that with the specific Covid 19 one.

But just like to keep people aware of how these Insurance Companies play.

On 4/23/2021 at 12:14 PM, Sheryl said:

It does very much matter who or at least whether it was one of the approved Thai COVID policies vs a general health insurance policy vs an international travel policy.

Also very much matters what the issue with covering it was. That he was asymptomatic, or that the test was "inconclusive".

No problem legally to clarify these points.

As I just replied to other.  I'm on an approved (Thai) one, and they got the 15 day wait period for Covid.  Inconclusive, maybe counts as "Other" and even worse at 30d wait.  And maybe thats not even covered under 2nd Covid specific one.

As long as people understand whats going on, thats all that matters.

Maybe one day things can change.  (Like Premium goes up 100 baht for all, and coverage starts on Day 0)

Not trying to argue or anything with you, just stating facts for everyone to know.

OK so you had not one of the COVID specific policies but a general health insurance policy that includes COVID but only after a 15 day wait period which you were apparently still within.

Actually I am surprised that was accepted for a COE since the intention is to be covered for COVID as soon as you arrive, in case it is detected in quarantine.

The COVID specific Thai policies here have no wait period   https://covid19.tgia.org/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lu0uX said:

Sheryl where you get this information?

1 hour ago, Lu0uX said:

As much as I can find is that you can enter before september 30, but nothing about limit on extensions:

827958590_21.3.1STVregulationsforextension.jpg.f1e4dfd36277fbc8c1b1583bf0f20988.jpg

Bottom RH side.

If you enter before 3rd July, you'll be able to extend for 90 days one time only.

You may possibly be able to obtain 60 day Covid extensions thereafter, but not guaranteed and for how long also an unknown factor.

Edited by Tanoshi