Bank deposit slip for retirement extension

I am going to Immigration tomorrow to do my retirement extension. To save time I went to the bank today to a) get the account balance statement letter beforehand, while at it I also did b) the 100baht deposit and updated my balance to today as well. Coming home I realized that item b needs to be done the same day that I submit my application, which means tomorrow, not today.

Question: does it have to be a deposit done at the bank in order to produce a deposit slip/receipt? I am thinking of for tomorrow doing a deposit (transfer from another account) from my tablet then going to the bank just to run the bank book through the update machine in order to have it on record. In other words, would the update shown on the bank book sufficient? Or does the officer really really want to see the deposit slip/receipt?

Thank you in advance for any input or experience you might want to share, much appreciated.

8 minutes ago, fishtank said:

Bank letter and bankbook has to show the same balance on the same day.

They will probably accept it being done the day before.

Notice I said "probably"

Re "the day before" I had mine accepted in Chaeng Wattana no question asked.  But now I'm in the outback, aka Samut Prakan, I feel the need to be more "diligent" just in case...Anyway re bank letter I thought it could go back one week (ie one week old max) - it says something to that effect (in Thai) on Immig website.

13 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Some banks (Bangkok Bank for sure) do not require a deposit to update passbook but others may require a deposit.  Normally updated passbook is what they need to see AFAIK.  

What I have in mind is do a deposit (ie transfer from another account) via app on my Ipad, then go to the update machine and run the bankbook through to get the deposit on record. I'm just wary in case the officer insists on seeing a deposit slip...

1 hour ago, fishtank said:

Bank letter and bankbook has to show the same balance on the same day.

They will probably accept it being done the day before.

Notice I said "probably"

Phetchabun definitely no. it must be on the day, Bank letter, statement of account and updated book.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

Bank letter, statement of account and updated book.

Phuket immigration will only accept a statement (from me) dated the same day.

My Bangkok Bank branch can only produce a statement one day in arrears...in other words, dated the previous day. Even if I deposit 100 baht, it won't show up on the statement until the next banking day, so says the branch.

Anyone had success with Bangkok Bank producing a statement dated the same day?

This is all I have ever done in the way of a bank letter / statement .

I also copy the name page of my bank book and the relevant 3 month/12 month pages.

The bank then signs and stamps them.

This has been accepted by Immi. every year.

Screenshot 2021-04-22 at 07.28.08.png

45 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is the bank letter for a foreign currency account. It is not same as a standard Thai baht account.

That is all I have ever used . The only action the account sees is once a year.

I took money from my account here , and put it in a seperate account for the purpose of the Immi. requirements.

There is no money coming from abroad , if that is what a "foreign currency account" is .

Edited by NE1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Some banks (Bangkok Bank for sure) do not require a deposit to update passbook but others may require a deposit.  Normally updated passbook is what they need to see AFAIK.  

As with all things .....depends on the immigration office. The OP did not mention.

At CW they often like to see "activity" on day of application.

My recommendation to OP would be to make a deposit/withdrawal with the teller and ask her to photocopy that last page showing the deposit on day of application.

Not so easy if bank not handy to imm office.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, NE1 said:

That is all I have ever used . The only action the account sees is once a year.

I took money from my account here , and put it in a seperate account for the purpose of the Immi. requirements.

There is no money coming from abroad , if that is what a "foreign currency account" is .

That is not the standard letter for a Thai baht account. It must be foreign currency account or it would not show the balance in in pounds. It says fixed deposit account but it is clearly a foreign currency account.

How is it a foreign currency account , when it was opened with Thai baht from my main account which is in Thai baht ?

The letter is not a templated or standard letter , it is drafted up at the bank on the day I ask for it .

I thought a Foreign currency account is money coming into that account from a foreign country.

This has never happened.

Or are you saying for all these years they have been doing it wrong ?

20 minutes ago, NE1 said:

The letter is not a templated or standard letter , it is drafted up at the bank on the day I ask for it .

Are you using that letter at immigration?

The template for a standard letter is in Thai and does not covert your balance to a foreign currency.

Example of one is here. bank letter.pdf

• Like 1

My experience, is that Kasikorn Bank needs something to have changed in your account before the system will give an update. 

My I/O, Phayao will only accept an update dated the day of visa extension, not the day before.  Might depend on the I/O, but I only know Phayao.  At Phayao, they have a written statement, in English, giving all requirements for Retirement extension.  Clearly says update on the day of extension.

21 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Are you using that letter at immigration?

yes , that was the whole idea of my post showing the letter. 

I have used it , with date and monetary amendments for a long time.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

As with all things .....depends on the immigration office. The OP did not mention.

At CW they often like to see "activity" on day of application.

My recommendation to OP would be to make a deposit/withdrawal with the teller and ask her to photocopy that last page showing the deposit on day of application.

Not so easy if bank not handy to imm office.

That what I'll do, just to show "activity" of the day of application ie today...And hoping Immigration will accept the bank letter of "the day before." Strangely enough, even though the bank manager warned me before issuing the letter that the update would be updated as of "the day before" (of yesterday), when the letter was handed to me the update was up to the last minute (4:00pm of 04/21/21)! In other words the 15 minutes going back and forth re "the day before" was for naught. (Krungsri bank)

Somehow I felt in past experience at CW that what the officer was looking for was the consistency of having (enough) money in the bank year in out. Mine was always above the threshold and I could almost hear the lady officer breathe a sigh of relief when she saw those rows of zeroes up and down the pages.

Edited by watthong
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, watthong said:

...,...l could almost hear the lady officer breathe a sigh of relief....

Similar experience. I changed to FD account. Perhaps I just imagined it, the immigration officer had a smile as there is basically nothing to check.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, watthong said:

Re "the day before" I had mine accepted in Chaeng Wattana no question asked.  But now I'm in the outback, aka Samut Prakan, I feel the need to be more "diligent" just in case...Anyway re bank letter I thought it could go back one week (ie one week old max) - it says something to that effect (in Thai) on Immig website.

When I transferred my stamps to a new passport at CW 2 days ago the IO wanted the bank updating showing THAT day (it seems that confirming you are complying with your Extension conditions has also become part of the transfer process).  The problem if you don't perform some kind of transaction is that when the bank updates the book it will only show the last date there was a transaction.  I do mine while I'm on the way to CW via another banking app, making a small transfer to BKK bank.

When I renewed my Extension a few months before the IO said maximum 7 days old for the account ownership letter.

Edited by SooKee
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, SooKee said:

The problem if you don't perform some kind of transaction is that when the bank updates the book it will only show the last date there was a transaction.

Run the book through twice.  The first run will show the last transaction and that date.  The second run will show the current date (that you want for immigration) and the balance.  Try it next time you are at the bank.   At least BKK bank.  Maybe not all banks.

Edited by LivingNThailand
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

Phetchabun definitely no. it must be on the day, Bank letter, statement of account and updated book.

To clarify:-

The bank letter must be dated on the day of application with the latest balance showing (as per passbook).

The Statement must be obtained on the day, but shows the previous days balance (i.e. doesn't include the transaction on the day).

The bank passbook must have been updated on the day to show the transaction (balance agrees with bank letter).

What I do is go to the bank before it opens, take out the Immigration Fee (1,900), update the book in the update machine, then when the bank opens go in to get the letter and statement.

Edited by foreverlomsak
date error fixed

35 minutes ago, LivingNThailand said:

As I recall you are trying to get your Non-O visa.   It looks like you haven't solved your problem.  Have you talked to the bank manager again?  

Yes, still trying to get the Non-O. Haven't returned to the bank yet. On covid extension until June 13.

40 minutes ago, LivingNThailand said:

My original suggestion is to go to the bank and get the letter and bank book update and then go back the next day to get the statement.  Might work.  Ask the bank manager.  Phuket gives you seven days to use the letter.  But I always go within 2 days.  

Yes, the bank manager said this is possible, but the IO outside room 103 said "everything TOO-DAY!" (i.e., with today's date). The IO gave me a phone number to call, so I will ask the bank manager to call and perhaps they can sort it out.

24 minutes ago, SEAsia Traveler said:

Yes, the bank manager said this is possible, but the IO outside room 103 said "everything TOO-DAY!" (i.e., with today's date). The IO gave me a phone number to call, so I will ask the bank manager to call and perhaps they can sort it out.

Sorry if this is off topic, but this guy needs some help.

So you are saying the guy outside room 103 said you had to have docs dated same day you apply?

There is a Phuket Volunteer Website  https://piv-phuket.com/

You should check it out.  The volunteers reply quite quickly if you need to send them an email.

The website says under non-O for financials 

The same ( financial and others )  requirements will be requested as for the 1 year extension (first time extension) for which the Non-O is intended to be used for.

And under retirement it says

Signed and stamped bank letter AND Signed and stamped bank statement showing the required money and duration before application date. (Max 7 days old)

So you have up to 7 days to get them the docs.  Anyway, good luck.  I hope the bank manager can help you.

18 hours ago, watthong said:

Question: does it have to be a deposit done at the bank in order to produce a deposit slip/receipt? I am thinking of for tomorrow doing a deposit (transfer from another account) from my tablet then going to the bank just to run the bank book through the update machine in order to have it on record. In other words, would the update shown on the bank book sufficient? Or does the officer really really want to see the deposit slip/receipt?

CW, retirement extension, 'banked money' method, Bangkok Bank.

Bank letter acquired in town the day before extension application, accepted.

Account book updated at BKK Bank CW branch day of extension without any deposit, accepted.

My experience, another's might not be the same.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, LivingNThailand said:

So you are saying the guy outside room 103 said you had to have docs dated same day you apply?

Yes. On the first day I encountered him, he said "everything same day", and when I returned changed his rule to "everything today". I think he wants to create obstacles to flex his power.

Signed and stamped bank letter AND Signed and stamped bank statement showing the required money and duration before application date. (Max 7 days old)

Yes thank you, I got that in writing from the IO helpers on my last visit. I will use it to make my case next time if necessary.

Edited by SEAsia Traveler

2 hours ago, LivingNThailand said:

Run the book through twice.  The first run will show the last transaction and that date.  The second run will show the current date (that you want for immigration) and the balance.  Try it next time you are at the bank.   At least BKK bank.  Maybe not all banks.

Using the CDM machine?  I won't use them now since I had one screw up completely and overwrite a page of entries that was about 70% full rather than start from the first free line.  Caused no end of grief with needing to get sheet insert from the bank as the last few FTT entries couldn't be read then all the explaining to the IO.  Not sure if asking the teller to update it twice would achieve the same result but for the sake of taking 30 seconds to do a transfer I'll stick with that.  Thanks for the info though.  CDM machines are 'red card' for me though.

Where the statement is concerned I just get one, for 13 months.  At BKK Bank Silom it's THB 100 up to 6 months then 200 for 12 months plus so I pay 200 and get a 13 month statement. 

Edited by SooKee