Phuket to make foreigners pay for COVID test, Thais get it for free

Jonathan Fairfield

14 hours ago, RobMuir said:

So exactly the same as in Australia, where only locals can get a Medicare card and discounts on medicine.

The headline and the way it is written will stir up all the PC brigade who like to endlessly claim they are victimised "It's not fair"

500 baht.

Who cares? 

"...Exactly the same in Australia?".  I beg to differ, the point being this about Thailand, not currently part of Australia.

As for the cost.  Seemingly it is an insignificant amount, which can be paid by those who decide to forgo anothers generosity to cover the fee.  

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Something I wrote about this topic 15 years ago. Some things have changed.

Whilst farang are often charged more than Thais, there are many things that work in our favour. I am let off by traffic police all the time, for example, especially with my little one in the car. I can get discount that Thais wouldn't have the nerve to ask for, and better service in shops. Bank workers go out of their way to help me. I don't lose face very easily, which enables me to get away with a lot more than my Thai brothers and sisters.

People remember me which used to be a bad thing when I was a 'naughty boy' Now it is an advantage. Thai people are not all after money(anymore than foreigners) and the longer I live out of Bangkok/tourist areas, I realise this.

I hate to hear the farang saying, "they can't do this to me, do you know what would happen in United Farangland if they did this?". Quite simply, I have started a new life in a country, which will never accept me as one of them, even if I pass a degree in Thai, become a monk, or have Toxin's daughter as a "mia noi".

I have to chill out and adjust certain ideas and attitudes. I must remember that this is not my home country, and therefore has different ways of doing things. Christ, that is one of the reasons I love it here. I used to want them to keep doing the things I liked and stop doing the things I didn't like. What a <deleted>y attitude!

Realise what I can change and what I can't. Don't let the things that you can't get on top of you, they're not worth it. Once you have done this, weigh up the pros and cons of living in a new land and decide if it is for me or not. I have not been sentenced to live in Thailand, it is my choice.

Some things like double pricing are the Thai way an I sometimes think I should simply respect their decision - when I do this I usually see that they have a valid reason for doing something that thought 'racist' or unfair.

It's my fear of being take advantage of that I have to address. "can't have them Thais getting the better of ME, the almighty!

I know that if I want to become a Thai citizen I can, but when I weigh up all the pros and cons, I would rather keep my British passport.

Once you've seen one temple, you've seen them all anyway.

Corruption breeds only further corruption. We can only try to help them with this problem.

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Again it isn't about the 500 baht, it is the principle about the inequality that it represents.  I could afford the test a million times over and then some, but again not the point.

How much does an Australian Tourist Visa cost?

For a 3 month Australian tourist visa the total cost is 30,000 Thai baht and included in our fee are all costs incurred during the visa application. Embassy fee, translations etc., do not incur an increase in the quoted price.You only pay a 10,000 baht deposit to start the process.

As opposed to the lovely Thais giving me a free visa on arrival.

• Confused 1

If you do not pay taxes in this country then why do you feel that you should receive the same cost breaks that those who do receive? The cost of the "rapid" test is free to Thais as it should be. For that matter every country should be vaccinating their citizens for free let alone testing. But that is a different issue.

So 500 Bht is what about $16 or 15.90 Euros? It is not a big deal. But I get it ... it is the principle of the thing. However, when did anything in this country that we are and always will be "guests" in (no matter what we spend, length of our stay, our involvement with our communities, etc) has there been any focus on principles, logic, or basic common sense? 

To get to a beach, and being over 59 as therefore unable to get any vaccine privately or otherwise... taking a test "rapid" or not is simply what is required. I get it. I am far more ticked off when I go to buy something from a shop only to have the wife (a Thai) get a cheaper price than I did. Actually, though she hates it, she will confrontation the shop person as to why the higher price for the Farang. 

1 hour ago, Ramdas said:

Fyi any other parts of the world the practice of double pricing is illegal but in Thailand they find any reason to keep tourist away from coming, it’s just wrong and unfair but they don’t seem to care, shame on you ☹️

I've experienced it in Spain, Australia, USA, and Scotland. It is not illegal. 

• Like 2

I don't see a problem, but then again I didn't understand the fuss about the 

ESL either.

Why should any country pay for non nationals? If my home country was shelling 

out for holiday makers getting free tests then farage would be all over the internet

crying about it.

2 hours ago, fceligoj said:

Same as going to a hospital where Thais get services for free and/or may have to pay 30 baht.  I have had two consultations, one general and one specific.  the first one 350 Baht and the 2nd - 650 baht.  If I were in the US as a foreign, the fee just to see a doctor would be about 5-$ (1,500 baht) or more.

So, what is your point if you can get a rapid test for 500 baht (or about $10 US)?  Seems pretty cheap to me.

The point is in this topic we are not discussing the cost of medical consultations

If you really think that the 500 bahts are the problem

i am sorry to inform you that you totaly have missed the point

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ganesh108 said:

You say you speak Thai, but you 'namaste'  the shop owner. Okaaay.

Btw, I'm sure any farang who enters a shop with folded hands (a.k.a. 'wai') is seen as an utter and complete fool by the shop owner. But what do I know, I've only been here a few decades.

I have even seen some farangs ''wai'' the 7\11 cashier or the cleaner

i mentally facepalm every time i see it

17 hours ago, DavisH said:

Well, that's a surprise ????

Well, UK citizens returning to the UK must pay privately for 3 pcr covid tests, 100 pounds a pop (4300 baht), before full admission to the country. Those already here get testing for free. Not so different to Thailand.

https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/expats-condemn-phukets-xenophobic-rapid-test-payment-policy

Expats living in Thailand are up in arms after Phuket officials confirmed that foreigners arriving on the island would have to pay for a rapid Covid-19 test that is free for Thais. The testing requirement is part of new restrictions now in force to combat the spread of the virus. However, it is not the cost of the test – 500 baht – that has angered so many expats, but the fact that officials see nothing wrong with charging people based on their nationality.

Edited by metisdead
14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Somewhat outrageous...  

But... in fairness, the 500 baht charge is not quite the excessive rip off I was expecting when I read the headline. 

That said: Thailand could make inroads to cover up its xenophobic practices if it offered free tests to those who can show they have solid ties to Thailand.... i.e. Those with Work Permits, Driving Licences, Yellow House Books, Pink ID, those on Non-Immigrant Visas etc... 

And yet further contributing to both feet in the mouth..... Isn’t Thailand desperately ‘hurting’ for tourism to improve.... Yet, what does it do ????.... 

......... It announces to the World...  we support dual pricing !!!!  

It really is a shame and embarrassing on behalf of those Thai’s I know that Thailand so frequently and reliable trips up because it has both feet in its mouth. 

Ultimately, it is issues such as this which may just make me think... Nah, why should I bother going to Phuket.... 

I have lived inThailand for many years and have never felt the urge to go to Phuket, mainly because of all the negative comments I see on here re foreigners being "ripped off" (taxis etc, dual pricing to visit parks etc.)  So this is yet another reason not to go, and another reason for "tourists" to avoid the place! - "See those things at the ends of your legs? They're called feet - now here's a gun! .........."

• Like 2

Reports are there is no testing being done at the land border. Can anyone clarify, or does anyone know someone who has entered Phuket by air in the last 24 hours who has been asked to do a test ?

I really believe this “news” should be clarified first before the Thai bashers take the bait. 

• Haha 1

For those saying, "500 baht, who cares????"

OK, now it's FREE for you...........

1.  If you wait in line for 11 hours, while other wait 10-minutes

2.  People know you are different, not the same

3.  Strange looks, "farang and falang" and "covid" words heard

4.  You are SEGREGATED because of your passport

5.  You are labeled more dangerous because of your passport

OMG.......it's only 500 baht.....   you have a brain, use it

Oh, girls over here...... let's exploit you.   it's the same.  wrong is wrong

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

If you can’t see that it’s absolutely nothing to do with 500 baht then you really are a lost cause.  Discrimination however it manifests is wrong but I guess you’re too focussed on the 500 baht  to see beyond that.

I see way ahead of you guys, because you are so wrapped with knocking Thailand, the whole bloody world is laced with pretentious fake moralising hypocrites, discrimination is alive and well, despite attempts to make life appear otherwise by the 'conformists' so just give it a rest eh, because knocking Thailand is becoming boring, especially if one is such a hypocrite to do so and continue living here under the pretence that having the 'right attitude' will make a difference!!! One of the endearing things about Thailand is that it is different, vive la difference!!!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1