Phuket to make foreigners pay for COVID test, Thais get it for free

Jonathan Fairfield

21 minutes ago, taxin said:

Reports are there is no testing being done at the land border. Can anyone clarify, or does anyone know someone who has entered Phuket by air in the last 24 hours who has been asked to do a test ?

I really believe this “news” should be clarified first before the Thai bashers take the bait. 

The officials have said that tests are only carried out at the land border if you come from a red zone, so yes there will be a few people going through with no need for testing, maybe you're referring to that?

At the airport they've found one case already, so a free two weeks in a field hospital for this Thai.....

Phuket Starts Rapid Tests, Finds 1 Case at Airport

https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-680813

• Like 1

On 4/21/2021 at 1:19 PM, Smithson said:

One thing stands out, the Thai teacher talking about safety. It was just a week or two ago that a kid drowned in Kalasin during an excursion. Not the first time, also I remember kids dieing after being forgotten in mini vans and getting stuck in caves after being taken down by teachers. Then there's the unregistered motorbikes ridden to school by kids with neither helmets or licenses, which is fine as long as the hair and uniform are correct.

Australia is safety obsessed, the 'she'll be right mate' attitude seems a thing of the past.

Rape and sexual assualt of students by teachers here isn't that uncommon here, often almost tolerated. That would have been an interesting discussion with their Aussie counterparts.

Then there's freedom of expression...

17 hours ago, RobMuir said:

So exactly the same as in Australia, where only locals can get a Medicare card and discounts on medicine.

The headline and the way it is written will stir up all the PC brigade who like to endlessly claim they are victimised "It's not fair"

500 baht.

Who cares? 

It's not exactly the same at all There are tourists and there are long stay expats , if you had same in Australia , hence staying long time you would qualify for at least the blue medicare card , so it would be free .

Sure if a tourist ( well there would be none of them ) charge them the 500 .

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. If you don't pay income taxes in Thailand why would you expect free medical care?  How can you come from a rich country and expect a poor country to provide you with free services?  Pathetic!

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shy coconut said:

I don't see a problem, but then again I didn't understand the fuss about the 

ESL either.

Why should any country pay for non nationals? If my home country was shelling 

out for holiday makers getting free tests then farage would be all over the internet

crying about it.

Farage is too busy selling his online birthday greetings to worry about foreigners now 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RobMuir said:

Well, the PC brigade better harden up. This is South East Asia, not Cottonwool Nannyland.

Expecting the Thai taxpayer to foot the bill for our Phuket holidays is a bit much.

If you don't like it then apply for citizenship. 

500 sounds fairly reasonable to me.

many of these posters are from countries that has wiped their chins their whole lives, I wouldn't of expected any less of a reaction than this wailing..

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BenBen23 said:

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. If you don't pay income taxes in Thailand why would you expect free medical care?  How can you come from a rich country and expect a poor country to provide you with free services?  Pathetic!

Have you looked around you recently? Mercedes, RR, Porsche.... shopping malls full of every high end brand name. World class private hospitals and condos and houses with eye watering price tags. Who do you think is driving/buying/shopping?

• Like 1

It is never a surprise to hear westerners (never seen any Asians) complaining again and again. Just simply dont visit Phuket. Not calling for a mass boycott, it's a decision not to go to places that discriminate or upset you. Phuket people are always moaning about the government not allowing tourists. Perhaps they only want Asian visitors.

Just dont go.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

we support dual pricing !!!!  

I agree that 500 baht is not excessive and I did not come here expecting any free medical from Thai people/government...

But dual pricing is everywhere, at least in USA... I can give countless examples... 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

It's not about the money, it's about the principle

500 baht isn't close to a days interest on the principle...

For me, the higher principle is I am not Thai and there is no need or reason for Thai people to pay for my medical... 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ganesh108 said:

You say you speak Thai, but you 'namaste'  the shop owner. Okaaay.

Btw, I'm sure any farang who enters a shop with folded hands (a.k.a. 'wai') is seen as an utter and complete fool by the shop owner. But what do I know, I've only been here a few decades.

I agree. Maybe he means he speaks Hindi?

1 hour ago, taxin said:

Reports are there is no testing being done at the land border. Can anyone clarify, or does anyone know someone who has entered Phuket by air in the last 24 hours who has been asked to do a test ?

I really believe this “news” should be clarified first before the Thai bashers take the bait. 

Just got tested at the land border. Asked why the 60% price hike since yesterday, got told go to own country 

Strange my Thai wife never got any of this attitude when we lived in the US for the last 3 years 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

National Health Security Office (NHSO)

I suppose if you pay your national insurance, you'd expect the jab for free in line with Thai citizens

....otherwise I can't see why you should have a free jab. You have a certified income so use it.

• Like 1

I am normally against dual pricing - but that's on things like entry to national parks etc.  For that reason I choose not to visit Thai national parks, even the one near my Thai home.

However, the headline on this subject in my e-mail notifications read: Dual Pricing DISGRACE.  Disgrace? Why should a foreigner who chooses to either live in or visit the country expect Thai taxpayers to pay for them to be tested?

Providing those foreigners that pay social security and income tax in Thailand are exempt from this charge, I see nothing wrong with it - 500 baht doesn't seem excessive. When I eventually return to Thailand, I will have to pay for a test when leave the UK, at least 1 test when I return to the UK - possibly 3 and they are a lot more than 500 baht each. Those charges apply to everyone leaving and entering the UK, regardless of their nationality.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, RobMuir said:

So exactly the same as in Australia, where only locals can get a Medicare card and discounts on medicine.

The headline and the way it is written will stir up all the PC brigade who like to endlessly claim they are victimised "It's not fair"

500 baht.

Who cares? 

Probably the many foriengners who pay tax and social security should care or what are they paying  it for. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TimCM said:

Just got tested at the land border. Asked why the 60% price hike since yesterday, got told go to own country 

Strange my Thai wife never got any of this attitude when we lived in the US for the last 3 years 

And your wife said nothing when you had this sort of racist silly answer ?

She should have asked to the man\lady answering that to you if he\she was

ready to pay for all her expenses when you will be back to ''your'' country

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kingofthemountain said:

And your wife said nothing when you had this sort of racist silly answer ?

She should have asked to the man\lady answering that to you if he\she was

ready to pay for all her expenses when you will be back to ''your'' country

She is very non confrontational but was not a happy camper

No need for him to pay for her as I come from a civilized country where discrimination is illegal 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Excel said:

I wrote no such post so please before you reply perhaps you should check what it is you are talking about. I don't come from Australia and would have no idea of their medical schemes.

yeah I realised that afterwards and posted a correction to your reply. Perhaps you should be the one checking before you reply also.