Phuket to make foreigners pay for COVID test, Thais get it for free

Jonathan Fairfield

6 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

yeah I realised that afterwards and posted a correction to your reply. Perhaps you should be the one checking before you reply also.

When you wrongly respond to a person, it is good manners to apologise for an incorrect response for that person, clearly manners is something not in your toolbox, sunshine.  man-up and be polite enough to apologise, we are all waiting for it

14 minutes ago, Excel said:

When you wrongly respond to a person, it is good manners to apologise for an incorrect response for that person, clearly manners is something not in your toolbox, sunshine.  man-up and be polite enough to apologise, we are all waiting for it

the apology was there by clearly stating that it was a correction. Same horse different jockey The end result is the same, an admission that an error was made. If you can't see that, then that's your problem. Also if you had correctly read the post that I originally relied to you wouldn't have jumped to conclusions. 

Edited by TigerandDog

10 hours ago, bluejets said:

Never had a problem with any "dual pricing" in Thailand.

One is a visitor to their country and should respect their ways in every way.

One should respect their ways?

Happy to extra in a restaurant due to your nationality? Great, full respect.

How about dodging drunken drivers? Great, full respect.

Dual pricing at hospitals? Great, full respect.

National parks? Great, full respect.

When does your "full respect" stop, when you pay double? 10 fold as in National parks? How about when you need a PET scan, but because you are not Thai, there is a great little add on for the hospital of 25%? 

Or will keep taking it like good little boy? Great, full respect.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

you get it better now or still not ?

nope don't get it - - - another double pricing whine... and the fire analogy also does not compute... 

it's always the principal... and in this case, it is not like you are not getting something in return... next thing you will be wanting 30 baht medical, but only at the best private hospitals... 

As for me, I would pay the 500 baht and say thank you na krubp... 

It is just the same old attitude thing.. some of us feel grateful that we can so easily retire here w/a minimum of hoops and others feel that they are such a blessing to have as a guest because they buy beer and noodle soup that the govt should do more for us.. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I went to Phuket in 1985. Paradise! I went back  twelve years ago and vowed it would be the last time. The goose that laid the golden egg had been cooked. So sad.

Edited by Gandtee
spelling
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Ricebarnandrooms said:

Really!!   Are you not paying your share of tax and NI?   I have paid a fortune in tax over the years and with farang having to have a high minimum wage we pay more than thai.  I’m a citizen in everything but name so I should be able to get a test the same as thai. 
perhaps you haven’t contributed, but many of us have!!

Well then for you it should be free. And it most likely is. I have farang friends who in national parks showed their work permit or pink id card (can't quite remember) and paid the same as Thais. 

In my case I've never worked here in Thailand, so I've never paid any taxes and so I don't expect the Thai government to pay anything for me. They're not my momma and I am not a kid who needs his momma to pay for everything.

And trust me, there are more expats in Thailand which are retired, enjoying life, digital nomads, tourism,.... than those which are working...

Edited by expatjustice

20 hours ago, kotsak said:

No lessons learned.. at all!

.... not unlike those who believed otherwise ... ????

BTW, 500thb - why bother, look at it like any other entrance fee ... ????

Edited by ttrd

6 hours ago, RobMuir said:

And a hell of a lot more to get a visa to enter Australia. Free for Aussies to enter Thailand.

Where are the PC brigade then?

I can't understand why all these whiners live in Thailand? 

I can't understand it either.  14 pages of whining about a perfectly reasonable charge.  Dual pricing of some sort exists lots of places.  Heck, at the community college where I worked in the US there was a 3-price system--in-state, out-of-state, and foreign.  I think in-state residents over 65 years old got a discount, too. 

My Dad, who died just shy of his 95th birthday, had a saying that seemed to serve him well.  'Don't sweat the small stuff.'  This definitely falls under 'small stuff'.  

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

@Jimbo53 Show me where you obtained what you posted from the article especially this section.

I never obtained it from anywhere,but if like myself you have had a W.P. and pay monthly Social Security,then its obvious you will be covered under the Thai Health System.

2 minutes ago, Jimbo53 said:

I never obtained it from anywhere,but if like myself you have had a W.P. and pay monthly Social Security,then its obvious you will be covered under the Thai Health System.

Thats not stated in the order so how do you know? Its states all foreigners, tourists or expats

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jimbo53 said:

How is it obvious.  The article and the Governor has said All Thai's Free, All Foreigner's 500 Baht, and the day prior it was 300 Bhat.  Try again, and Thanks for playing.  Assuming anything is full of pitfalls for you and the person your assuming understands.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 473geo said:

Well the toolbox certainly sprung open today showing those who clearly have lost their love for Thailand!! Or are just miserable tight gits!!!

It is rumoured a farang has visited our area of issan from Pattaya who arrived with him not sure, but a whole village is now closed off

Double the charge for those who have forgotten they are guests of Thailand and care more about  500 baht, or the cost of an extended covid recovery in hospital, than spreading the disease

For me I have had 5 covid tests 3 in the UK 2 in Thailand, quarantine 15 days, 14 further days of daily temperature checks, and I would not bother about a further 500 baht expense

Happy to assist your efforts Thailand, and thank you my Thai family and friends for making me feel so welcome in these uncertain times

????????????????????????

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Can you then give an example of where this is replicated in another country, ie getting a covid test to travel within the country? One charge for foreigners and another charge for locals?

Comparing dual pricing in other countries has little to do with the situation we are talking about here where its a health matter in an emergency.

I'm taking my Dad's advice and not sweating the small stuff.  Feel free to keep whining.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Must frustrate the hell out of you knowing we are right about it being the principle of the matter and not the money, why else would you be trying your best to get your lumps in when you clearly have missed the target.

As I said to the other guy, whine away.  

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, RobMuir said:

So exactly the same as in Australia, where only locals can get a Medicare card and discounts on medicine.

The headline and the way it is written will stir up all the PC brigade who like to endlessly claim they are victimised "It's not fair"

500 baht.

Who cares? 

I'm with you, who cares. 500 Baht is certainly not expensive, so I don't think that's a rip off.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1