Phuket to make foreigners pay for COVID test, Thais get it for free

Jonathan Fairfield

49 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Dude I will give you the 500 to stop the lies about not sparing the 500 baht.  You just will never understand that It is not about the 500 Baht no matter how many more times it is said.  Give the 500 baht montage a rest.  It is the principle of the issue at hand.  You just can not see past your hand blocking your eyes from seeing it.  Enjoy your continual 500 baht, throwing the toys from the pram, didn't get a lolly montage as well.  Many on here know the true score unlike those with views who believe it is just about money like you seem to think of our principled view.

The queue to get into Phuket at Sarasin bridge fight now is kilometres long and a 90 minute wait.

I don't think they will be the slightest bit worried about a few farangs who were not planning on coming anyway spitting their dummy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RobMuir said:

I think I explained it clearly. I hope you find happiness wherever you choose. Thailand isn't for everyone. Thais don't sweat the small stuff and people who complain incessantly are shunned socially.

Good luck.

Thailand is my home and guess what? I've never been shunned socially and revel in my family and friends associations including Thai's who also share the same core values in life. 

However if you're not happy with that and those like me, then all I can say is that Thailand is not for everyone. I do hope you find comfort in your part of Thailand as much as I do in mine.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

happy expats would stop being embarrassed by them and they themselves could find happiness somewhere else.

So your embarrassed by folks who find principle in issues and see an issue that is far from the money you folks insist we are discussing. Sorry I embarrassed you.  You know nothing about myself, nor do I care to know anything about you and your circumstances.   You obviously think everything is black and white.  Sorry you believe your both the judge and jury. You might learn some humility from your peers instead of being wound so tight.  Do you have principles for more than just what affects you. Do you think of how things might affect others, yeah I thought not.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

You are now the judge of what Thai’s do and don’t want?

You seem unable to grasp that while you seem perfectly happy with dual charging there are a vast proportion of people who find it distasteful. 

Because you are a door-matt does not mean you are correct in believing everyone else should be happy being treated as such. 

Dual charging in any capacity, wherever it happens to whomever it happens is distasteful - there is no way to dress it up or polish this - its wrong. 

If you find it so important to subsidise Thai people, pay tax on any earnings in Thailand?

Many already do, so why should they then be charged extra ?

How about paying tax on any money you bring into the country - you want to support the Thai people so badly.... how about donating to a Thai charity (I know your BS answer to that, yeah, you do already, we believe you !)... 

You seem to think the Westerners who do not like dual charging (or this policy) are sulking expats while those who like it are happy !!!... what idiocy is that ???? 

Its perfectly reasonable to have an opinion about a policy, to voice that opinion on a forum designed for such discussions without slipping into a depression, the mere idea that you think those with a negative opinion of this dual pricing policy are sulky and unable to find happiness is utterly moronic, idiotic and lacks a basic intelligence when attempting to bring forward comprehensive argument for this policy. 

Perhaps what you really mean is...  Are those of us who dislike dual charging going to let it affect our life in Thailand? and the answer to that would be of course not, but we have no opinion on such policies and this is the place to discuss such opinions.

If you can’t separate discussion of an opinion on a forum from someone unable to find happiness then you really are struggling to grasp reality.

I have paid millions of baht tax in Thailand and don't have a problem with it.

I would have a problem if i knew that tax was being used to subsidize your Phuket holiday though.

As for charity I have probably given away more than you have ever earned.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You are now the judge of what Thai’s do and don’t want?

You seem unable to grasp that while you seem perfectly happy with dual charging there are a vast proportion of people who find it distasteful. 

Because you are a door-matt does not mean you are correct in believing everyone else should be happy being treated as such. 

Dual charging in any capacity, wherever it happens to whomever it happens is distasteful - there is no way to dress it up or polish this - its wrong. 

If you find it so important to subsidise Thai people, pay tax on any earnings in Thailand?

Many already do, so why should they then be charged extra ?

How about paying tax on any money you bring into the country - you want to support the Thai people so badly.... how about donating to a Thai charity (I know your BS answer to that, yeah, you do already, we believe you !)... 

You seem to think the Westerners who do not like dual charging (or this policy) are sulking expats while those who like it are happy !!!... what idiocy is that ???? 

Its perfectly reasonable to have an opinion about a policy, to voice that opinion on a forum designed for such discussions without slipping into a depression, the mere idea that you think those with a negative opinion of this dual pricing policy are sulky and unable to find happiness is utterly moronic, idiotic and lacks a basic intelligence when attempting to bring forward comprehensive argument for this policy. 

Perhaps what you really mean is...  Are those of us who dislike dual charging going to let it affect our life in Thailand? and the answer to that would be of course not, but we have no opinion on such policies and this is the place to discuss such opinions.

If you can’t separate discussion of an opinion on a forum from someone unable to find happiness then you really are struggling to grasp reality.

Perhaps Richard, if those who condemn occasional Thai opportunism, did not react as though their arm had been ripped from their body, then responses might be a little less damning

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

I would have a problem if i knew that tax was being used to subsidize your Phuket holiday though.

Why?.... The tax you pay on petrol subsides the roads I use.... You pay tax everywhere, which means in effect in part along with everyone else you are subsidising many things foreigners do in Thailand, using the pavements etc....   

I have paid millions of Baht tax in Thailand and I do have a problem with being charged more than Thai’s, I have a problem with being charged more to enter a national park. I have a problem with anything I find ill thought out or distasteful....   Of course, I can accept it because I have no choice and I’m not going to let such matters ruin a holiday. 

But, when it comes to a forum such as this where such a matter is being discussed I will voice an opinion, because thats what a forum such as this is designed for. 

I also believe it would help Thailand more not to have such matters which public embarrass them and has the potential to cost them visitors in the long run. All the small things sometimes add up. 

I want to see the tourism industry in Thailand thrive again. IMO, these steps are not steps in the right direction. 

3 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

And this highlights the silliness in your thinking - making claims you can’t possibly know to be true or to back up. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Do you have any Thai friends?... They discuss and complain about many of the same things we do - the overlap in opinions is often quite overwhelming.....  

.... Discussions and debates over the dinner table are interesting and funny, sometimes serious, sometimes political, sometimes cultural...  

People are the same, we discuss topical matters. 

That much of the population is uneducated and happy-go-lucky not to care about or discuss such matters does not mean debates and topical matters are not discussed.... Anyone who can read Thai forums such as Pantip will recognise the overlap in topics... 

We (foreigners) don’t like the road fatality stats here in Thailand, this view point is mirrored by every Thai I know, we discuss it on this forum, its discussed on Thai forums, its discussed over beers at the dinner table etc etc...  

Thai’s discuss and debate topics which interest them. Just because some Westerners have not be exposed to the parts of society capable of discussing and debating such issues does not mean all thais are the ‘dumb happy go lucky’ folk we see around us...   this image is flawed, 

Yes. Hundreds of Thai friends, I am very popular.

And I read Thai. 

I suggest you read the op link and you will see what you are claiming just isn't true. The main jist of it is that the rapid covid test is now free for them, and they are very happy about it despite what you are claiming, which is more about what you want to believe.

I strongly suspect your Thai language skills are very limited which would also limit you socially.

Read the link then get back to me.

2 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Perhaps Richard, if those who condemn occasional Thai opportunism, did not react as though their arm had been ripped from their body, then responses might be a little less damning

I can’t disagree with that... Some people do seem to be so butt-hurt by such issues. Perhaps I too appear this way. 

I have strong opinions on dual pricing. It doesn’t ruin my day, nevertheless, IMO its quite wrong.

• Like 1

Yes. Hundreds of Thai friends, I am very popular.

Must be all those charitable causes you support ! ????

And I read Thai. 

I suggest you read the op link and you will see what you are claiming just isn't true. The main jist of it is that the rapid covid test is now free for them, and they are very happy about it despite what you are claiming, which is more about what you want to believe.

I am quite certain all Thai’s are happy their test to enter Phuket is free. I am also happy that the test is free for Thai’s. I also believe such a test should be free for everyone. 

I strongly suspect your Thai language skills are very limited which would also limit you socially.

Read the link then get back to me.

Nope.. No more time to get into a debate with someone making half-witted assumptions...  

My limited social life is about to kick in as its Friday evening....   

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Why not look at his and my first post on the first page of this tread where they were both reasoned and factual posts on the topic. Then look at the first responses we got from those labeling us the PC Brigade and much worse. Then think about which posters immediately reacted as though their arm had been bitten off.

Edited by Bkk Brian

25 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

A comment that was predicted.  You believe your the only one who has done what you just splattered your post with.  If you believe that a test being required and being paid for by the Thai Government is subsidizing someone's vacation then your definitely far of the track here.  You may also want to think about the migrant workers that will also be traveling to Phuket for jobs as well, having them pay the 500 baht is also xenophobic.  You just can not see the inequity and principle with this issue in its entirety, and believe it is just about whiney, moaning, unhappy expats.  Keep that thought up, you might one day run into a situation where the light clicks in your head and this issue comes back and makes you realize how the stubborn an obstinate view you had was wrong.  Once again, it is not about the money but about the principle and totality of the issue and how it affects more than just us as folks who live here.  It also affects my GF and her daughter who are non Thai, and many of their fellow countrymen and women.  

Edited by ThailandRyan

16 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Glad to see you finally admit that this is about the principal of condemning Thai opportunism as you stated.  We are not acting like our arm was ripped from our body, we are voicing our opinions on how it affects many others. Thank you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

You just can not see the inequity and principle with this issue in its entirety, and believe it is just about whiney, moaning, unhappy expats.

Can you provide a link from the whiney, moaning, unhappy migrant workers?

Harden up.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

It also affects my GF and her daughter who are non Thai, and many of their fellow countrymen and women.  

Who had no plans to go to Phuket anyway.

Why carry on like a pork chop about something that doesn't make the slightest difference to your actual life?

Some are obsessed with endless Thai bashing.

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yes I did but my surprise at your self serving dubious boasting got the better of me sorry my bad

Well at least you admitted now you were wrong in your assumptions that the Thais were anti this measure. 

Credit to you. And credit to me for helping you understand the reality.

Just now, RobMuir said:

Well at least you admitted now you were wrong in your assumptions that the Thais were anti this measure. 

Credit to you. And credit to me for helping you understand the reality.

? mate you've lost the plot my little pork chop, buck up a bit, you're cracking

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I don't pay income taxes here or anywhere else, do I expect free medical care in Thailand no, I have full private cover, it costs me in excess of 100k baht per annum. I did come from a rich country, I don't expect a poor country, if you are referring to Thailand to provide me with free services, I am not asking for the test, they are, so it should be free as it is for Thai's, why else would they offer us free vaccinations, but then want to charge us for a test that they want us to take, doesn't make sense.

If I wanted to get tested, sure,  should pay for it, but it would be better business management to just leave things alone in times like this when businesses are suffering and have no charge for test conducted that are a requirement of the government or Phuket, I can see those in businesses in Phuket rolling their eyes back on this one as they know it's going to cost them in the long run.

Pathetic it is !

Still, you benefit tremendously from the low cost of living in Thailand. How much have you saved living there? They don't have to allow you to be there at all. They are dealing with a very tough situation. The least you can do is... well nothing I guess... or you could just pay 15$ and thank your lucky stars you are not in England, Australia or the United States. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Glad to see you finally admit that this is about the principal of condemning Thai opportunism as you stated.  We are not acting like our arm was ripped from our body, we are voicing our opinions on how it affects many others. Thank you.

Indeed it can affect many others in this case relieving the financial burden on the Thai healthcare system to allow more Thai people to benefit

On 4/22/2021 at 3:55 PM, Fairynuff said:

Have you looked around you recently? Mercedes, RR, Porsche.... shopping malls full of every high end brand name. World class private hospitals and condos and houses with eye watering price tags. Who do you think is driving/buying/shopping?

Are you serious?  The average Thai person makes 350$ a month working 10 hours a day 6 days a week. There is no public education or social pension. The luxuries you are talking about are out of reach for 90% of citizens. Those luxuries are there for you. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Are you serious.  Why would anyone other than a Thai pay 10 MThB for a 25 sqm Condo, and 6 MThB for a Mercedes, when for the same amount an expat could invest in properties elsewhere and buy the same Mercedes for 1/3rd of the price and not in this country.  The jacked up prices are not for anyone here but the Hi-So's and the Government coffers to milk those who have money so the brown envelopes get bigger.  You really believe they care about anyone below themselves.  Those luxuries, although affordable to some expats are not there for the expats by design.

On this I have to agree