Phuket to make foreigners pay for COVID test, Thais get it for free

Jonathan Fairfield

9 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

The fact is when it was first announced, the charge was 300 baht for all arriving in Phuket, but then they realized this would kill all local tourism so changed it to free for Thai's and 500 for foreigners. 

So yes the PC brigade have every right to be up in arms over this.

At present who would want to go to the end of the world. My daughter was there about 3 weeks ago and she sent me a viedo. It was her and a friend walking on the soi, and only a couple of motorbikes went by during her recording. Phuket nah not because of 500 bhat but the fact it is dead

3 minutes ago, 473geo said:

I'm surprised they have not requested you move back to your home country, must be quite tiresome for them to continue to live in a place that causes such an affront and discomfort

Its their family home, they were born here, why would they want to see me move back without them because of this?

• Like 1

Why was the Rapid Test for foreigners entering Phuket increased from ฿300 to ฿500 after just one day? Was it to cover the cost of the decision to allow Thais to do the test for free? I’m told these test kits cost as little as ฿150-฿200 each

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

Its their family home, they were born here, why would they want to see me move back without them because of this?

You would not wish to take them to land of the free and no double pricing?

It is 500 baht after all!!!!

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Well the toolbox certainly sprung open today showing those who clearly have lost their love for Thailand!! Or are just miserable tight gits!!!

It is rumoured a farang has visited our area of issan from Pattaya who arrived with him not sure, but a whole village is now closed off

Double the charge for those who have forgotten they are guests of Thailand and care more about  500 baht, or the cost of an extended covid recovery in hospital, than spreading the disease

For me I have had 5 covid tests 3 in the UK 2 in Thailand, quarantine 15 days, 14 further days of daily temperature checks, and I would not bother about a further 500 baht expense

Happy to assist your efforts Thailand, and thank you my Thai family and friends for making me feel so welcome in these uncertain times

So your blaming the farang because the village is closed off, not the people that returned with him!!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

No I do not wish to take them out of their home country where my daughter goes to a good international school that thankfully teaches right and wrong. Its not about the amount of money what is it you don't get about this?

That you are moaning about something that is really inconsequential is what I get out of this? I wonder how often you get your blood pressure checked do you pay?

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AhFarangJa said:

Vote with your feet, boycott the place. Maybe then the message will get across, though I doubt it.

I am still an advocate of a system whereby when you enter a country you are subject to the same rules as foreigners in your native country. For example, if you enter U.K. the questions would be.............

1- can a foreigner own land and house in Thailand......No...........ok, neither can you here

2 - Can a Foreigner run a business 100% - No.......ok , neither can you...........

3 - You want a 1 year visa........sure.....please deposit 20,000 Pounds into a bank, with no interest, and no withdrawals........

And the list goes on.

I am still happy to live here with my family, I just wish we could have a more level playing field.

You really cannot see the attraction of Thailand and why it is necessary to prevent foreigners from buying up the place?

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Equality and discrimination are not inconsequential to me, my family or my friends. Its as simple as that, my blood pressure is fine thanks, its not a big deal for me or my family to avoid these situations but apparently pointing it out on this forum and staying on topic with the subject matter does cause problems with you.

Seek and you shall find

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

You along with another poster are making a huge assumption on one of the most basic facts. Expats here are either retired or working. Those working locally such as my son pay local taxes. So why do they have to pay?

if you have insurance they pay for that,what the big deal!

• Confused 2

I got a free (rapid) covid test in Songkhla this week. Whether this is a Phuket decision to charge, or I got it free because of my Thai social security card (I wasn't asked for my number) I don't know.

Foreigners can afford to pay for this rapid test, so part of me thinks it's fair enough. Many comments in here are angry with the principle, but this is no surprise, so if you want it, pay for it.