Phuket to make foreigners pay for COVID test, Thais get it for free

Jonathan Fairfield

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Somewhat outrageous...  

But... in fairness, the 500 baht charge is not quite the excessive rip off I was expecting when I read the headline. 

And yet when it was a fee for all, Thais and Farangs, it was 300b !!

To me thats what I find even worse than the Thais free / non Thais pay.. That when charging non Thais, they jack the price by 60 something %.. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Well well... such an inviting situation.. How many countries is it illegal to discriminate with 2 pricing policy. In Australia companies have been fined massive amounts.. Government many years ago was taken to court..

They want our business investments and money for their economy and choose actively to extort.

So welcoming and so much for equality.

Not in the Kingdom.. Lets take our money to other countries without extortion by government ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wonderful they bemoan lack of the tourist baht, but those stay here year on year providing income and sup[port to many are to be charged for a test because the Thai Government are too stingy to provide both locals and foreigners ( especially ) expats with free testing and I believe free vaccinations .

Unlike most of the countries all these expats come from where in order to maintain national security and the health of the nation, anyone living there gets free vaccine. 

Typical Thai shortsightedness, overt racism and xenephobia. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

pls note they are running out of RapidTestKits now already and surely need them for poor buggers much more than for rich farang (who are not THAI anyway). Those who don't want to cough up the thb 500 just go to some other holiday destination e.g. Chiang Mai and her fine beaches...

• Sad 3

1 minute ago, PGSan said:

Is simply unwanted and off-topic.

And where do ethics come into any of this? 

Whats simply unwanted and off topic? 

Ethics are part and parcel of this decision have you not noticed or just don't know the definition of ethics?

• Like 2

Whining Guests ????    Thai health care is nationalized and supported by tax payers. Health care rights are not included in any of the visa fees we pay so what's the complaint? 

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Wuvu2 said:

Whining Guests ????    Thai health care is nationalized and supported by tax payers. Health care rights are not included in any of the visa fees we pay so what's the complaint? 

They should be for covid, is  it  that hard to understand, by  doing this foreign people  will  avoid any tests at  all so  keeping covid  spreading.

• Thanks 1

In case 500THB is  a reason to not go to Phuket well you don't go as you will complain on everything you have to pay for. Fist of all: you are not a Thai civilian, so you don't have to expect the same advantages as a Thai. I case you want the same advantages as in your home country, you stay there, so easy it is.

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, RobMuir said:

Well, the PC brigade better harden up. This is South East Asia, not Cottonwool Nannyland.

Expecting the Thai taxpayer to foot the bill for our Phuket holidays is a bit much.

If you don't like it then apply for citizenship. 

500 sounds fairly reasonable to me.

The salient point escaping you is the poor message it sends out. The tourist industry is on its @rse here and those coming will cover in spending many times more than the cost of the test and they need every tourist $ they can get. This simply propagates the price discriminatory price gouging image and illustrates the utter incompetence of those in charge who imagine people are banging on the door to get in. A rude awakening awaits. 
Get it now ?? ????‍♂️ 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, easydoor said:

In case 500THB is  a reason to not go to Phuket well you don't go as you will complain on everything you have to pay for. Fist of all: you are not a Thai civilian, so you don't have to expect the same advantages as a Thai. I case you want the same advantages as in your home country, you stay there, so easy it is.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) update

Overseas visitors to England, including anyone living in the UK without permission, will not be charged for:

• testing for coronavirus (even if the test shows you do not have coronavirus)
  • treatment for coronavirus – including for a related problem that affects some children called multisystem inflammatory syndrome
  • vaccination against coronavirus

No immigration checks are needed.

See GOV.UK: NHS entitlements for migrants for information in other languages.

1 minute ago, PGSan said:

No dictionary needed.  Also no ethics are involved here (whatever dictionary you use).  

No ethics for you in this, I see, enjoy your life.

I'll stick to the core values of ethical decision making, non discriminatory practice and anti xenophobic behaviour, its stood me well so far in my life and my children. Thats whats important to me.

• Like 2