Phuket to make foreigners pay for COVID test, Thais get it for free

Jonathan Fairfield

They only reasonable way should have been:

1) All Thais and all those foreigners who pay taxes in Thailand: free.

2) All the the others: pay.

Instead, the decision is made on the old xenophobic-like base.

Ok, somebody may say: 500 baht, who cares?  Ok, but if you travel with a family of 4 is 2000 thb. Who cares? Ok who cares to go to Pukhet, afterall.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, farangroby said:

Also in Koh Samui they do the same thing, last Friday I did a swab with my Thai wife at the Nathon Public Hospital: she had for free and I paid 1,950 baht.

Wer'e foreigners and never the Thais miss an opportunity to remind us

Was about to suggest that 500 will turn in to 750 or 1,000 soon , when the corrupt officials realise they are answerable to nobody .

1950 baht huh ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, joe jadore said:

I have lived in and loved Thailand for many years now, I'm a ex profiler/body reader, since January last year I have "daily" seen the visible derision, disapproval and sadly the dislike in "SOME" Thai people! Being a human mobile lie detector, means I can decipher peoples attitudes from the other side of the street. I used to love all the smiles and hello's, for me it was a huge part of the joy of living here!

It's not the lousy 500 baht, it's the attitude! When I namaste and speak Thai to a shop owner, the reception I get is 100% different if I spoke English only. That's great, but why?

Sadly I belive a lot of Thais think that it was foreigners who brought this horrible pandemic into their paradise, and ruined their lives, incomes, business's and yes their health. The reality is that in all probability it was Chinese people who inadvertantly brought it in, to begin with. Nearly every country in the world has been infected  by someone from another country.

I'm covid negative and very healthy, I'd just like the smiles to come back and be genuine!

Dear Government, stop bartering over the costs, get the vaccines and put them in everybody's arms!!!

Not mine thanks.

I will follow once this mass experimentation will be completed.

You may offer your arm, I will appreciate it.

Just now, whitfield said:

I have to have a minor op next week.  Hospital says i must have a covid test before.  Cost 3500 baht.  I think I'll drive to Phuket for a quick test.

Wrong test, the rapid tests for entering Phuket are for detecting anti bodies, the PCR test is the one you need for Hospital, so no I wouldn't bother pursuing your idea

11 hours ago, RobMuir said:

o exactly the same as in Australia, where only locals can get a Medicare card and discounts on medicine.

Medicare card discounts for medicine in Australia? Never heard of that before. Source please! 

So exactly the same as in Australia, where only locals can get a Medicare card and discounts on medicine.

The headline and the way it is written will stir up all the PC brigade who like to endlessly claim they are victimised "It's not fair"

500 baht.

Who cares? 

Exactly! you just have to look at other countries and you would have to pay there!

• Confused 1

So exactly the same as in Australia, where only locals can get a Medicare card and discounts on medicine.

The headline and the way it is written will stir up all the PC brigade who like to endlessly claim they are victimised "It's not fair"

500 baht.

Who cares? 

Well, praise the Lord and send me the money. After all, it's only thb 500 - and who cares?!

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Blot said:

In the last 6 months, and on 4 occasions, I have been charged between 4,500 and 6,000 Baht for Covid tests by Bangkok Hospital Group. 

You probably got a different test though. In Phuket they do a rapid antigen test (testkit production cost about 2USD without logistics), you probably got a PCR test (testkit production cost about 30USD, plus hospital fees to pay e.g. the hospital admin, rent and the person with safety gear that gets your sample, ... - unless state subsidized, a PCR tests costs in total 120USD or more in most countries, especially at airports and private hospitals).

A PCR test analysis has to be done in a lab, so it takes longer to get the result. An antigen test can be done by anyone, cheaply and quickly, no lab required, results delivered in 10 mins or less. You get what you pay for though, antigen tests are more unreliable with a higher chance that your test result is wrong (both ways). They would not be accepted for international travel to most countries.

On 4/22/2021 at 9:16 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Not in Menudo, it is yummy.  But the BS is cleaned from the intestines unlike the BS thrown out by the Phuket testing cost of 500 baht.

There is <deleted> all around the world, you have to live with it, or in the west die from it.

Nothing to be gained from continuous whinging.

• Like 1

Members on this forum take issue with the principle not the money plus, when considering the forever brouhaha about re-energising the tourist trade, the message presented is far from encouraging. 

The spirit of goodwill at this time from Thai officialdom - where is it? 

Anyway, it isn't dual pricing, it is  either free for Thais or a fee for foreigners. The only saving grace is the fee itself is little to worry about. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

You along with another poster are making a huge assumption on one of the most basic facts. Expats here are either retired or working. Those working locally such as my son pay local taxes. So why do they have to pay?

Because they are so rich. (but perhaps unkempt)

• Confused 3

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

My trip I had scheduled for Cape Panwa was going to put probably between 150K and 250K ThB into the local economy, Resort stay, renting a car, going to eat at the local eateries, doing some shopping to buy some pearls for my Mother back in the States, and then enjoying a boat trip out to the islands and back over a 10 day period, but alas that will not be happening either.

I want to go on vacation with you.

• Like 2