Phuket to make foreigners pay for COVID test, Thais get it for free

Jonathan Fairfield

1 minute ago, wensiensheng said:

I’m retired, I don’t pay thai taxes or thai health fund, I never expect anything for free.

I have never been disappointed in that expectation. A win win situation ????

You don't pay Thai taxes so I assume you do not live here ? so why comment ? That is unless you do live here and are ignorant of the fact that most things you buy here are subject to VAT. That last letter is the giveaway "T".   That is Tax.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

You're perfectly welcome to leave Thailand and return to your home country if you don't want to be around those so called "unbalanced moaners." 

The moaners come free with Tvisa, not Thailand, none in my part of the woods Brian, all seem to be down your end, in a tourist destination complaining tourists get charged more ????

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RobMuir said:

Well, the PC brigade better harden up. This is South East Asia, not Cottonwool Nannyland.

Expecting the Thai taxpayer to foot the bill for our Phuket holidays is a bit much.

If you don't like it then apply for citizenship. 

500 sounds fairly reasonable to me.

Ok, then I suggest being consistent: Highway toll e.g. for Thai 30 Baht, foreigners 300 Baht. Isn't that a good idea? And so on...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

My Scottish friend from Perth, Australia, had become an Oz citizen, so he got cheaper much than me. He was also not a member of the club. We both paid guest fees. 

I agree that foreigners with Permanent Residency should get the discount, and those who pay tax. Last time I went to Scotland, we visited a castle on Royal Dee side and had to pay more than the locals. 

I can get the test free because I have integrated into my new society, something that many foreigners I know have no intention of doing. 

Many would like to have the same status as you or gain permanent residency, but as you know the numbers are limited and you need to meet certain requirements instead of it being open to anyone living here with a spouse or having invested in the country.  No equality.

3 minutes ago, 473geo said:

The moaners come free with Tvisa, not Thailand, none in my part of the woods Brian, all seem to be down your end, in a tourist destination complaining tourists get charged more ????

Because they do, simple as that and not only tourists get charged more, expats working or retired too. Thats what this thread is all about.

By the way I see no moaning tourists in Phuket either, because there are none. This decision was the nail in the coffin.

7 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Because they do, simple as that and not only tourists get charged more, expats working or retired too. Thats what this thread is all about.

By the way I see no moaning tourists in Phuket either, because there are none. This decision was the nail in the coffin.

So what do you thin k about the laws for me retiring, as a Thai, in the USA? I have to invest 16,000,000 baht. Retirees should not be treated the same way as people who work and pay taxes here. 

1 hour ago, Excel said:

We are talking about Phuket, not any of these other places.

go back and read your own post. You used Oz an example of dual pricing and stated unequivacly that Medicare was ONLY available to locals. I was simply pointing out that your statement was incorrect. So if anyone's comment was irrelevant with regards to Phuket it was yours.

7 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

So what do you thin k about the laws for me retiring, as a Thai, in the USA? I have to invest 16,000,000 baht. Retirees should not be treated the same way as people who work and pay taxes here. 

I've never delved into it but you may have a point there? I'm from the UK. Thats a little off topic though and would encompass many aspects of the system which could also include why does a US, UK or European passport allow you to travel more freely throughout the world. Defining all the reasons why and justifying it if that were the case would take an essay.

Edited by Bkk Brian

12 hours ago, RobMuir said:

Well, the PC brigade better harden up. This is South East Asia, not Cottonwool Nannyland.

Expecting the Thai taxpayer to foot the bill for our Phuket holidays is a bit much.

If you don't like it then apply for citizenship. 

500 sounds fairly reasonable to me.

Applying for citizenship is easier said than done. That said 500 baht is not expensive so I’m not going to get too worked up about it. 

27 minutes ago, Hoppyone said:

It’s worth noting Thais no need to pay for Covid vaccine if visiting or have visa or stranded in Australia,

Do you want Thailand to become a nanny state?

Australia has a Plural society, Thailand does not. Accept it!

Many people come here and think Thais love them. The young, sexy girls in the bars want to sleep with the old, fat men; everyone smiles (but they haven't learned the 13 different Thai smiles). 

When you integrate into society, learn the language etc, you learn that most Thais don't like foreigners. Accept it! 

I have heard Thais say that they are not going to certain places as there are too many 'farang'. I've heard Thais say they don't like or are scared of Black people, Indians, Burmese, etc.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, charmonman said:

Applying for citizenship is easier said than done. That said 500 baht is not expensive so I’m not going to get too worked up about it. 

It’s about principle not money. Foreigners who pay tax in Thailand should be treated same as Thais in term of medical treatment. Covid-19 test or treatment should be free of charge for everyone regardless of your nationality 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Raymonddiaz said:

It’s about principle not money. Foreigners who pay tax in Thailand should be treated same as Thais in term of medical treatment. Covid-19 test or treatment should be free of charge for everyone regardless of your nationality 

I disagree.

If you pay tax in Thailand, you should have health insurance. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

And why should Thailand  pay for foreigners health care ?

You folks are incensed. This is not dual pricing, it is a medical charge that you

as a visitor are not entitled to.

I have paid taxes in Thailand for 28 years & as a non immigrant now retired

i in no way expect the Thai people to pay for any kind of healthcare of which this is part.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Your still stuck on Retirees here not paying their share.  Many retiree's did work here, many did pay taxes and paid into SS, just because we are a foreigner does not mean that we did not pay taxes here.  Moving to the US, had you not worked or paid taxes and had a visa and then a green card for the US in order to go there and live you would have to pay money into the system in order to obtain your visa/green card just like the retiree's who come here to retire, but if your married to a US Citizen once a Visa is obtained and then the green card you are a permanent resident unlike here.  No comparison.  For those that have spent many years here they can not get a similar treatment by being married to a Thai, or by having worked here.  To make a long story short.  It is in-equality, not well thought out and racist in nature because there are two many variable they are unwilling to look at ergo the 500 ThB charge for testing of all foreigners regardless. 

4 minutes ago, natway09 said:

And why should Thailand  pay for foreigners health care ?

You folks are incensed. This is not dual pricing, it is a medical charge that you

as a visitor are not entitled to.

I have paid taxes in Thailand for 28 years & as a non immigrant now retired

i in no way expect the Thai people to pay for any kind of healthcare of which this is part.

If you payed taxes and SS you are entitled to the Health care system as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

To make a long story short.  It is in-equality, not well thought out and racist in nature because there are two many variable they are unwilling to look at ergo the 500 ThB charge for testing of all foreigners regardless. 

How can it be racist. I am a 6'4" Scotsman and I can get it free?

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

When they go on holiday. 

They pay the same as a non-local US citizen.  Only ones getting it cheaper are those that live locally and pay through the bonds attached to their property taxes.

• Like 1

Is this really a problem?   I have lived here for many years, but i am not a citizen.  Therefore, I do not expect to accrue the benefits of a Thai citizen.  Having said that, I believe that due to the worldwide nature of this pandemic, that all governments should have made testing, vaccinations, etc. free for everyone from the very beginning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Good then you agree to disagree with many, including myself, that it is a disgrace.

Correct, I agree to disagree.   And, the headline should be neutral, allowing the reader to decide.  It's interesting that the word 'disgrace' is not used in the article.  

• Confused 1