New Bank rules 01/04/21 ?? insurance ?

Nothing new, been like that for awhile. Either keep searching until you find a friendly branch that is looking for new customers without having to purchase insurance or there are agents that will take you to one and handle everything for a fee.

I recently renewed my passport and went to my SCB branch to update their records. As I had 2 accounts it took an age to prepare/signoff the documents/copies.

During the process I caught a mention of insurance but acted dumb (not difficult!!) and the moment passed. No doubt the reduction in new business is having an impact on commission opportunities and every interaction with customers is seen as a chance to address that situation.

As noted earlier, keep looking but current circumstances may make it a bit more difficult to avoid the account opening 'surcharge'. Good luck.

Theres no requirement to buy their insurance. Its a little extra they try to add on.

I recently opened an account with the help of a very senior bank exec family friend and they specifically instructed the branch manager not to sell me insurance.

• Like 1

Happened to me once. Refused it and branch mgr said you must. So I did and then contacted the farang representative for that bank with a TV acc't. Not long after the bank called and asked me to come in. They returned my premium and thereafter I got VIP treatment even from tellers because I was "connected" LOL

I have this whenever I withdraw from my a/c.

The teller always says "Mister you have big money, need insurance"  and thrusts some papers at me.

When I tell her that 90% of my balance is needed to maintain my visa extension, all I get is a blank look.

• Like 2

I was in BKK bank to get some informations/codes for making internet banking, then suddenly the banklady begin to talk about assurance, I asked her about the conditions and about it was on the list for immigrations visa required assurances. She did not know. I then asked her for a price for good covering with sickness with in and out hospital covering and she find a price at 60.000 baht, I told her I would look at it at home, I think she was happy not to talk more about it. I got my internet codes and not a word more about assurance.

It looks like the staff is informed to sell this assurance things, the staff have free hands to force this sh.t on the customers, I think. In my case the bank lady was not good educated in what she was informed to sell.

My advice when you go to the bank and they begin to talk assurance, do it in the thai way, smile, be polite, talk bla bla and tell them you will be very happy to look seriously at it at home.

On 4/22/2021 at 11:21 AM, Brierley said:

The really odd thing is that last year I tried to buy covid insurance from the banks and none of them would sell it to me because I'm not Thai, I ended up buying it via Roojai.com. 

Very true the banks would only insure Thai nationals I tried and was told the same by two different banks where I have an account and ended up using Roojai they seem to be the only company that will insure foreigners for Covid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, crazykopite said:

Very true the banks would only insure Thai nationals I tried and was told the same by two different banks where I have an account and ended up using Roojai they seem to be the only company that will insure foreigners for Covid.

I have coverage with SCB that we bought as a family package. They confirmed that I am covered, not sure if you could do it as an individual.

I have insurance through the Bangkok Bank and I am 76. As it was explained to me by the international transfer manager, I am only covered for accidents and not covered for pre-existing ailments. Premium 5000 baht per year. The way that Thai's drive and ride their bikes it is easy to have an accident and if the Thai is at fault then they never have money to pay for accidents. I have had a fall and broke my wrist and the Bangkok Bank insurance paid for everything. It is not health insurance. Accident only.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, crazykopite said:

My Hospital / Medical Insurance with Allianz covers Covid they confirmed this about the middle of last year.

17 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

I have insurance through the Bangkok Bank and I am 76. As it was explained to me by the international transfer manager, I am only covered for accidents and not covered for pre-existing ailments. Premium 5000 baht per year. The way that Thai's drive and ride their bikes it is easy to have an accident and if the Thai is at fault then they never have money to pay for accidents. I have had a fall and broke my wrist and the Bangkok Bank insurance paid for everything. It is not health insurance. Accident only.

for the price of the insurance  policy the total liability is very low, I'm told that the company will only pay the first 50 to 60K baht of any claim so minor accidents only, need major healthcare and ure on ure own

A little warning on Bangkok Bank as they have one of the worst accident insurance policy's. I bought accident insurance for me and my family a year ago. I paid for my self like 2,400 bht for a 30,000 bht per accident policy.  I was told that in case of an accident, I just need to show the card and the insurance company will pay the bill. Not true as I was in a minor bike accident last year, I went to the hospital and was told that this insurance company will not pay upfront and I have to pay and will be reimbursed later on.

I was more then <deleted> off, I didn't bother going back to Bangkok bank an give them a piece of my mind as they would do nothing say sorry mister and my insurance was just about to expire anyway. I now have accident insurance with Kasikorn bank as their policy is much better as all the hospitals that covers their insurance the insurance company will pay upfront as I already used it.

Edited by time2093

1 hour ago, fulhamster said:

I have this whenever I withdraw from my a/c.

No visit to the branch without being pestered (Bangkok Bank).

This developed in Germany long ago, bank branches turning to insurance brokers.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Krungsri have been trying this on for years. I already have PIA so I simply and politely refuse their offer.

They tried again just recently, but I was able to point to my age (75) and say, 'sorry you're too late'.

• Haha 2

Buying insurance becomes required every once in a while by a bank branch. I have heard that 5 years ago when I tied to get a safe deposit box, but they eased that requirement after 10min. 
There was a special counter for insurance. Even the bank manager encouraged me to buy insurance at 1st. Bank manager plays the role.

Edited by The Theory