ECU/tuning for Dmax and running new engine in

Smithson

In a few days I'll be picking up my Dmax 3.0L. What's the best method for running in? From memory there's a few different opinions on this.

Also I see there's lots of claims for big performance increase from tuning and fitting an aftermarket ECU, which are on Lazada for B4,000+. These have several different setting for sport or economy or towing etc. Do these work? Some have 5 star reviews from hundreds of customers, but I find it strange the such gains could be made for so little cost.

Just now, vinny41 said:

I would check to make sure  aftermarket ECU doesn't void your insurance and warranty on your isuzu as most of these aftermarket ECU do.

Leave it in auto.

Don’t rev it

Don’t accelerate hard

Build the above up for say first 1000kms.

A re-map is best but as stated will effect warranty.

If you want to blank the EGR I have the plates which I removed from ours before selling...

Thanks. That's no good about voiding the warranty, I will check when I pick it up. Do the units help anywhere near what the claim to? And while we're in the subject, what else can impact a warranty? I got a base level model and considering adding a touch screen, dash cam, reverse sensors etc., as these can be had quite cheaply.

PFMills - You'll have to explain about blanking the EGU. I tried googling but got a bit lost.

11 minutes ago, Smithson said:

Thanks. That's no good about voiding the warranty, I will check when I pick it up. Do the units help anywhere near what the claim to? And while we're in the subject, what else can impact a warranty? I got a base level model and considering adding a touch screen, dash cam, reverse sensors etc., as these can be had quite cheaply.

PFMills - You'll have to explain about blanking the EGU. I tried googling but got a bit lost.

None of the above should void the warranty, an ecu is changing how the car performs so may shorten the life of key components hence is a no-no from the car brand

I would take the five star reviews with a pinch of salt, Here in Thailand you really need to join the facebook groups for your model or brand they contain loads of information from owners and you will be able to see the pro's and con's from any add-on ecu upgrade. There all in Thai but you can get the information you need using google translate

23 hours ago, vinny41 said:

so may shorten the life of key components

Yes! My remapped Golf diesel and Honda Accord estate both ate their clutches when I boosted the power up. I was recommended a less aggressive remap for the Accord 150-170bhp, but was greedy and went for the 220ish remap which was amazing, but destroyed the clutch ( or maybe it was the paving slabs in the back that helped)