How Important is Music in your Life?

Pilotman

I am sure Tarka would feel the same!   LOL

No but seriously, for me I have been a professional pop musician most of my life and cannot do without it, but draw a line at most of the stuff since 2000.

With radio like 103 or 96, it is the banal comments of the 'DJs' which bug me, the adverts and the station identifiers. You even get them on Classic FM, which I personally listen to before sleep after a couple of Sudoku games.

As for Radio 4, simply get the BBC Sounds App on your PC or phone, bluetooth it to your car radio and Robert is your father's brother. Many of the PODcasts on BBC are abysmal, as some are good.

Global is good for LBC, which is music free, plus loads of smooth & relaxing music stations, and for 60s lovers there is Caroline Flashback, non-stop without any ads.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, bobbin said:

My music is currently just under 100GB.. Hundreds of albums, multiple thousands of songs, all at 320 quality..

How do you decide which to play or are they on permanent shuffle? How many years would that take?

Sadly I only have 50GB, mostly FLAC, but if I deleted any I have not listened to for say 1 year, I would have much more disc space. If in the middle of the night I woke up wanting Atomic Rooster, I would download off P Bay and off I would go.

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

How do you decide which to play or are they on permanent shuffle? How many years would that take?

Sadly I only have 50GB, mostly FLAC, but if I deleted any I have not listened to for say 1 year, I would have much more disc space. If in the middle of the night I woke up wanting Atomic Rooster, I would download off P Bay and off I would go.

I have only occasionally used shuffle, but I like it..  i always default to personal choice though.

I know FLAC is an upgrade to 320, the only quality I will download. Unfortunately, the combination of almost 4x the file size of same album at 320, and the fact that my playback set-up is laptop (ugh) or JBL BT speaker means I stick to 320.

I used a 80GB Ipod for many years but the battery eventually began giving less and less playback time. Now I use my next to latest phone with a 128GB memory card as a dedicated player. Sound quality is fine, with many Android players available.

8 minutes ago, Crossy said:

BBC Sounds on your phone is your friend.

I listen to Radio 2 - Ken Bruce or Gary Davies with a smattering of Tony Blackburn (yes, he's still alive, still using the same jokes he used on Radio Caroline in the 60s).

Is Steve Wright still on the radio?

He used to be so funny.????

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, faraday said:

Is Steve Wright still on the radio?

He used to be so funny.????

Definitely, every afternoon on Radio 2.

I recall a "survey" when he was on Radio 1 that found that of all radios that were switched on at 3PM on  a weekday, 80% were tuned to Steve Wright in the Afternoon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To respond to @Pilotman's OP. 

I really can't abide loud music in bars or eateries, I like to be able to have a conversation (when people put their phones down), the regular volume stuff just fades into the background noise.

In the car I cannot imagine driving without the radio, I like to be entertained so I don't make "mix tapes" just have an easy on the ear DJ, reasonable tunes and awful jokes. And, of course PopMaster!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

Music really has no place in my life and I hardly ever listen to it. 

The examples you give are just of listening to other people's selections they make for you. Utter passivity.

I listen to MY music and some stations on internet radio, where you can find hundreds. Yes, that's important. Makes exercise a lot more pleasant, too. I just got a new portable DAC and the best set of earbuds I've ever had and am blown away by the quality possible nowadays in small packages.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Definitely, every afternoon on Radio 2.

I recall a "survey" when he was on Radio 1 that found that of all radios that were switched on at 3PM on  a weekday, 80% were tuned to Steve Wright in the Afternoon.

Unless Steve is on holiday when the program is called Steve Wright in the Afternoon, with Trevor Nelson, or The Ken Bruce show with Gary Davies, Dotun Adebyo Show presented by ????  . Surely the Beeb could call it say, The Morning Show with????, or The Afternoon Show with?????.

Edited by KannikaP

Just now, KannikaP said:

Unless Steve is on holiday when the program is called Steve Wright in the Afternoon, with Trevor Nelson, or The Ken Bruce show with Gary Davies, Dotun Adebyo Show presented by ????. Surelty the Beeb could call it say, The Morning Show with????, or The Afternoon Show with?????.

I don't think it would work, like "Royal Mail" "Steve Wright in the Afternoon" is a recognised brand that has existed for more years than I care to remember.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I don't think it would work, like "Royal Mail" "Steve Wright in the Afternoon" is a recognised brand that has existed for more years than I care to remember.

But so confusing for first time listeners!  LOL

About 3 times a week late night I play my electric guitar and bass with head phones on through a guitar and bass App. Occasionally will pick my acoustic up for a song or three. I listen to my daughter's and wife's  music when in the car (Blue tooth) with them but normally very seldom will put some music on to listen to by myself, but will sing a song now and then when just doing something. For room filler I have a habit of turning the TV on to give extra company.

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

I am sure Tarka would feel the same!   LOL

No but seriously, for me I have been a professional pop musician most of my life and cannot do without it, but draw a line at most of the stuff since 2000.

With radio like 103 or 96, it is the banal comments of the 'DJs' which bug me, the adverts and the station identifiers. You even get them on Classic FM, which I personally listen to before sleep after a couple of Sudoku games.

As for Radio 4, simply get the BBC Sounds App on your PC or phone, bluetooth it to your car radio and Robert is your father's brother. Many of the PODcasts on BBC are abysmal, as some are good.

Global is good for LBC, which is music free, plus loads of smooth & relaxing music stations, and for 60s lovers there is Caroline Flashback, non-stop without any ads.

A bit baffled by your comments here. Are you saying that you don't like much of the music produced since 2000 or that you don't like much of the 'popular' music produced since then?

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

I wasn't always like this, far from it, but the negative feeling has grown over the years.  Silence is truly golden for me. I wonder how many otters feel the same, or is it just me; again. 

I'm the same way. I prefer silence or talk-radio podcast from my home state. I used to work with a lady that absolutely hated the sound of birds singing. I couldn't understand that, but to each their own.

Just now, holy cow cm said:

About 3 times a week late night I play my electric guitar and bass with head phones on through a guitar and bass App. Occasionally will pick my acoustic up for a song or three. I listen to my daughter's and wife's  music when in the car (Blue tooth) with them but normally very seldom will put some music on to listen to by myself, but will sing a song now and then when just doing something. For room filler I have a habit of turning the TV on to give extra company.

I didn't bring mine with me; so it has to suffice listening to other people's tunes.

Just now, KannikaP said:

For me, a vast majority of post 2000/pre Rap popular music is not as amenable as that which went before. But when you have been brought up in the 60s, it takes some beating.

Popular music was never my thing. 60's stuff that my mum listens to was acceptable. But beyond that I developed my own musical tastes and rejected most pop music. 

So I won't have much idea of the artists involved unless named.

I prefer music without auto-tune and with human input rather than synthesised. 

Post2000/pre Rap? Still trying to get my head around that.  What is pre Rap? Rap has been around a long time in different forms,  certainly long before 2000, so again confused by that combo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eindhoven said:

Popular music was never my thing. 60's stuff that my mum listens to was acceptable. But beyond that I developed my own musical tastes and rejected most pop music. 

So I won't have much idea of the artists involved unless named.

I prefer music without auto-tune and with human input rather than synthesised. 

Post2000/pre Rap? Still trying to get my head around that.  What is pre Rap? Rap has been around a long time in different forms,  certainly long before 2000, so again confused by that combo.

Started playing in a group in 63, Shadows, Beatles, until one day in 64 I heard a song called Don't Worry Baby by a little known American group called The Beach Boys, and that was it. 

I had been in choir in school doing Gilbert & Sullivan etc and appreciated vocal harmonies, so for me The Carpenters, Manhattan Transfer, Four Freshmen, HiLos, Singers Unlimited, Take That!, many others. 

Just now, KannikaP said:

Started playing in a group in 63, Shadows, Beatles, until one day in 64 I heard a song called Don't Worry Baby by a little known American group called The Beach Boys, and that was it. 

I had been in choir in school doing Gilbert & Sullivan etc and appreciated vocal harmonies, so for me The Carpenters, Manhattan Transfer, Four Freshmen, HiLos, Singers Unlimited, Take That!, many others. 

You were doing ok until you mentioned Take That! ???? A few of the others I hadn't heard of, but get the picture now.

I eschewed pop music for the likes of Thin Lizzy, The Crusaders and all sorts. Anything but pop music. ????

1 minute ago, Eindhoven said:

You were doing ok until you mentioned Take That! ???? A few of the others I hadn't heard of, but get the picture now.

I eschewed pop music for the likes of Thin Lizzy, The Crusaders and all sorts. Anything but pop music. ????

Are you saying that Thin Lizzy or The Crusaders are NOT pop(ular) music, even when they have both had several No. 1 selling singles?   LOL

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Are you saying that Thin Lizzy or The Crusaders are NOT pop(ular) music, even when they have both had several No. 1 selling singles?   LOL

Of course that is what I am saying. They needed to make money too. Don't think The Crusaders had too many number ones. Maybe Street Life....and that's my least favourite. But I was glad for their success and played it from the rooftops on our wardrobe sized speakers...to introduce The Crusaders to the locals.

Kids eh?

Edited by Eindhoven
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Of course that is what I am saying. They needed to make money too. Don't think The Crusaders had too many number ones. Maybe Street Life....and that's my least favourite. But I was glad for their success and played it from the rooftops on our wardrobe sized speakers...to introduce The Crusaders to the locals.

Kids eh?

I threaten to play Sgt Pepper at full blast through my old 1000 watt PA system when ever the temple starts at 5am. But can't afford a divorce!   555

• Haha 2

I couldn't imagine life without Spotify.There's magic out there,sadly and predictably you won't find it on the BBC or any of the mainstream channels or in any hit parade.

Spotify, TuneIn radio or radio garden should be enough for most.Get yourself a network integrated amp/tuner I have a Marantz pm7000n cheaper options are available.

• Like 1