How Important is Music in your Life?

Pilotman

Just now, Eindhoven said:

Is that 1000 Watts RMS or Peak? ????

RMS mate. Chevin A500 & 100 amps. Dbx Driverack, Bass cabs with 2 x 15 JBL K130s, tops with E Voice 10 + tweeter. All sitting doing nothing under my stairs now.

No good if you couldn't pick out each individual instrument and follow it. So if the drums didn't sound like a real drum kit playing; the system had to be improved.

That's why I cannot abide by the people who listen to MP3 and say that they cannot tell the difference between that and Lossless/Hi Res.

Cannot take such people seriously. ????

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, adammike said:

I couldn't imagine life without Spotify.There's magic out there,sadly and predictably you won't find it on the BBC or any of the mainstream channels or in any hit parade.

Spotify, TuneIn radio or radio garden should be enough for most.Get yourself a network integrated amp/tuner I have a Marantz pm7000n cheaper options are available.

Or download those apps onto your PC or phone, you don't need the expensive radio.

Just now, holy cow cm said:

I gave most of my instruments 20 years ago to my nephew and his dad in the USA. I brought a Yamaha acoustic electric with me but over 10 years ago the wife decided to put it on a shelf and it fell and broke the neck. Finished it. But anyway for here I have a few guitars acoustic and electric (Fender and Takamine and local brand) and a few basses ( Fender Jazz and Ibanez) hanging around I bought here. Daughter has a nice full 88 weighted key keyboard with a Fender Strat son has a Local nice brand guitar and a Fender Squire P-Bass guitar. So this is the best way I get my music jollies off nowadays opposed to recorded music.

A way to keep the family together. ????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

I gave most of my instruments 20 years ago to my nephew and his dad in the USA. I brought a Yamaha acoustic electric with me but over 10 years ago the wife decided to put it on a shelf and it fell and broke the neck. Finished it. But anyway for here I have a few guitars acoustic and electric (Fender and Takamine and local brand) and a few basses ( Fender Jazz and Ibanez) hanging around I bought here. Daughter has a nice full 88 weighted key keyboard with a Fender Strat son has a Local nice brand guitar and a Fender Squire P-Bass guitar. So this is the best way I get my music jollies off nowadays opposed to recorded music.

Get Cakewalk by Bandlab on your PC, free, fully working DAW. Amazing.

I'm with the OP.  Music irritates me, especially when it's used as backing on speech programmes.  Even BBC Radio 4 is guilty of using silly music in news programmes like PM, The World At One / Tonight.  If I want to listen to music, I will.  But these days it's forced on us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

I'm the same way. I prefer silence or talk-radio podcast from my home state. I used to work with a lady that absolutely hated the sound of birds singing. I couldn't understand that, but to each their own.

She would have hated this then:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lots of talk about old UK radio stations I've never heard of but hey..

I'm from Canada..

And I'm fine with 320 quality mp3s..

How do you think I ended up with 100GB of music?

Last but definitely not least, I'd wager that most of us discussing this right now can no longer hear the highs anyway..

2 hours ago, BigStar said:

The examples you give are just of listening to other people's selections they make for you. Utter passivity.

I listen to MY music and some stations on internet radio, where you can find hundreds. Yes, that's important. Makes exercise a lot more pleasant, too. I just got a new portable DAC and the best set of earbuds I've ever had and am blown away by the quality possible nowadays in small packages.

Can you tell me more about your portable DAC?

I have a set of earbuds that I paid over $300 for, that I don't use because nothing I have can push them to a decent volume.. Impedance too high I guess..

23 minutes ago, bobbin said:

Can you tell me more about your portable DAC?

I have a set of earbuds that I paid over $300 for, that I don't use because nothing I have can push them to a decent volume.. Impedance too high I guess..

You can drop some serious coin on DACs. And I don't want to pay much postage or Customs, either. Now I don't claim they're best, but I found the Fiio DACS well-reviewed enough to take a chance on (read the reviews) on the lower end, an M3K, for the casual portable listening I do nowadays.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20210422000844&SearchText=fiio+portable+dac

And I think it offers the best sound my ears can possibly detect at my age! Equalization could be better but I'm fine with it. 

If your sound's OK from your phone or whatever, you may consider a portable amp:

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20210422002710&SearchText=portable+headphone+amp+dac

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I am from Canada, and when Sirius satellite radio came out I bought one of the first ones.

Now you can stream online - I download and save to a USB for portable tunes.

You need to sign up to a package, but mine is $10 a month so not breaking the bank. Hundreds of channels - no adverts

https://www.siriusxm.ca/

Also a .com for USA

You need to use a VPN to access

29 minutes ago, moogradod said:

«What is high-end audio? What is high-end sound?

It is when the playback system js forgotten, seemingly replaced by the performers in the listening room.

It is when you feel the composer or performer is speaking across time and space to you. It is a feeling of a physical rush during a musical climax. It is the ineffable roller-coaster ride of emotion the composer somehow managed to encrypt in a combination of sounds.

It is when the physical world disappears, leaving only your consciousness and the music.

That is high-end audio»

I liken it to listening to a hologram.  The room disappears.

06ABEBE7-FE36-4A6A-A712-2749C75F29E3.jpeg

• Like 1

Well guess for me it is quite important depending on my mode depends what I need. Sometimes a classic to relax, sometimes 60s/70s to reminisce and other times anything really. The type is not really important as much as when I want to listen. Bit bi-polar when it comes to music as right now listening to  Armin van Buuren live at Ultra Music Festival Miami 2017. 

• Like 1

Music used to be very important to me, but not so much now. I have a flash drive with music I like that I play when driving, otherwise I have dozens of CDs sitting in a box that rarely gets opened now. Unfortunately being of an age when mortality is a big deal, music from my past makes me melancholy, as it reminds me of better days, and I can't stand the new stuff- all electronic rubbish, far as I'm concerned.

There is a local station that plays only 50s, 60s and 70s music, which I often have on, but it's just background and I couldn't tell you what was on for the last hour.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bobbin said:

I doubt it's just you..

But music has a big role in my life! I can adjust my mood by playing it.. for the better of course.

My music is currently just under 100GB.. Hundreds of albums, multiple thousands of songs, all at 320 quality..

You are missing out on one of life's pleasures.. and during these times we can use all the pleasure we can get.

I only listen to real music on vinyl, reel to reel, cassette, minidisc and CD. I do admit to Spotify in my car when I am away from home.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

With old age I have become one dimensional. Always used to study with music in the background but now cannot read and understand while it is playing. Put my favorite music on USB for the car but now never listen to it, too busy concentrating on the driving.

Have downloaded most of my vinyls & CDs to digital but rarely listen to any. Not having a good sound system is part of that.

As for the poster who's music cut off is 2000, mine is 1980.

22 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I wasn't always like this,

so, you understand how many many others do enjoy music... 

old people get cranky... 

If you get annoyed easily, expect to be annoyed often... this is a noisy place where people like their music loud.. 

1 hour ago, elgenon said:

contributes to physical and mental well being.

Alz patients who are pretty out of it, will come to life and noticeably become happy and responsive when presented w/a walkman with music from their youth... 

When i woulds sing old songs to and with my 90 yr old mother, she would brighten immensely and go from pained to looking like an enthused child... 

7 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

so, you understand how many many others do enjoy music... 

old people get cranky... 

If you get annoyed easily, expect to be annoyed often... this is a noisy place where people like their music loud.. 

you are making an assumption that a dislike of music means I and cranky, which I'm not, No, I don't like noise of any kind, but that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate that others do, so long as they keep it to themselves and don't impose it on me. 

2 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

so long as they keep it to themselves and don't impose it on me. 

sure, sure... Thai like to share the music and so turn it up loud... 

sounds like the definition of cranky to me... you just don't realize it. 

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Alz patients who are pretty out of it, will come to life and noticeably become happy and responsive when presented w/a walkman with music from their youth... 

When i woulds sing old songs to and with my 90 yr old mother, she would brighten immensely and go from pained to looking like an enthused child... 

Also music is based on math and benefits students and their minds in many ways along with other arts. Unfortunately the arts are first to be cut in American schools. Many educators and politicians see them as unnecessary fluff.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

sure, sure... Thai like to share the music and so turn it up loud... 

sounds like the definition of cranky to me... you just don't realize it. 

what, because I don't like noise imposed on me by inconsiderate (often) unsociable people?  That is a very odd definition of cranky.