How Important is Music in your Life?

Pilotman

I try to avoid listening to music as I end up drinking more and staying up til the early hours. Both of which I regret the next day. I have no interest listening to music in the car either as my focus is driving. Occasionally I have it on but it's swiftly turned off when I need to park as I can't hear the rear beapers when reversing.

• Sad 1

On 4/22/2021 at 11:54 AM, KannikaP said:

How do you decide which to play or are they on permanent shuffle? How many years would that take?

Sadly I only have 50GB, mostly FLAC, but if I deleted any I have not listened to for say 1 year, I would have much more disc space. If in the middle of the night I woke up wanting Atomic Rooster, I would download off P Bay and off I would go.

I am also an ex professional musician playing bass guitar and keyboards. I'm sure you already know. On my smartphone I have my music divided into playlists, country Music 1 and 2, pop music, gospel music. Elvis songs, Roy Orbison songs.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, alien365 said:

I try to avoid listening to music as I end up drinking more and staying up til the early hours. Both of which I regret the next day. I have no interest listening to music in the car either as my focus is driving. Occasionally I have it on but it's swiftly turned off when I need to park as I can't hear the rear beapers when reversing.

Luckily I do not have rear beepers so can keep my music playing when I am reversing.

23 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

A bit baffled by your comments here. Are you saying that you don't like much of the music produced since 2000 or that you don't like much of the 'popular' music produced since then?

I'm the same, the nineties was the last pop that I know, Celine Dion with My Heart Will Go On. Beautiful South, Don't Marry Her, and Boyzone, No Matter What. these songs were as good as anything from the sixties or seventies.

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Popular music was never my thing. 60's stuff that my mum listens to was acceptable. But beyond that I developed my own musical tastes and rejected most pop music. 

So I won't have much idea of the artists involved unless named.

I prefer music without auto-tune and with human input rather than synthesised. 

Post2000/pre Rap? Still trying to get my head around that.  What is pre Rap? Rap has been around a long time in different forms,  certainly long before 2000, so again confused by that combo.

Excuse me, but we were talking about music here. ????

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, keithkarmann said:

I only listen to real music on vinyl, reel to reel, cassette, minidisc and CD. I do admit to Spotify in my car when I am away from home.

You like it low quality and inconvenient then...........vinyl, reel to reel, cassette, minidisc (when did they disappear? )? 

7 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I'm the same, the nineties was the last pop that I know, Celine Dion with My Heart Will Go On. Beautiful South, Don't Marry Her, and Boyzone, No Matter What. these songs were as good as anything from the sixties or seventies.

Bay City Rollers were OK as well. RIP Les.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Started playing in a group in 63, Shadows, Beatles, until one day in 64 I heard a song called Don't Worry Baby by a little known American group called The Beach Boys, and that was it. 

I had been in choir in school doing Gilbert & Sullivan etc and appreciated vocal harmonies, so for me The Carpenters, Manhattan Transfer, Four Freshmen, HiLos, Singers Unlimited, Take That!, many others. 

I started playing professionally in 65, there was the obvious Elvis, Roy Orbison, but as far as groups go I was mostly influenced by The Byrds, and Chris Hillmans bass playing. Also did the Shadows, Beatles and Beach Boys.

• Like 1

I enjoy listening to most music.. .. sometimes it’s Metallica to get me 

out of funk ... music can take back in time... sometimes listen to block

out everyone talking at the same time. Sometimes I just quietness and

enjoy.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Music is a question of balance, i.e. the right balance. Wrong choice, and sound level, of music at wrong time makes it unbearable awful, whilst right choice, and sound level, of music makes it a pleasant experience...????????

PS: I have a professional background in sound and music, and music has been good to me, making my early retirement in Thailand possible – "thank you for the music"...????????

• Like 2

The OP was ' How important is music to you in your life ?'

" Music was my first love .it will be my last .'

Thank you very big Queen.  Even my grand chidren listen to Queen.

Why not a vote on here for your fav. all time recording.  Mine is Bohemian Rhapsody . So there !

I play guitar too, so couldn't live happily without music. You can take my TG but not my guitar.

Given that, when I'm not playing, I like quiet. Well as quiet as it can be given the constant ringing in my ears.

• Like 1

I know what I dont like,

Heavy metal

Heavy rock

Rap

To me they are a soul less noise, but as said, each to their own.

I can listen and enjoy most music, take Elvis, some is Ok, coukdnt listen to an album and that goes for alot of artists, i"m more of a buffet listener, bit of everything, not just one flavor.

• Like 1

I grew up with music in my life and could not imagine life without it. Also married a girl with a love for music albeit diffrent styles but we do meet in the middle so to speak. 

Im glad to say my 13 yr old is developing his own tastes, western and Thai.

• Like 2

music is number one in my life and has been for decades.  i spend thousands of dollars on the best audio equipment and i am considered an audiophile, but a music lover first.  been to thousands of concerts.  love all genres, travel to KL when it was open regularly for the Symphony.  my folks loved it as well.  have maybe 3T of music on HD all hi-res flac.  and buy lots of downloads from Presto and Qobuz.  would like to see a center for the performing arts built here, but it won't happen. Thais have no taste in music.

Edited by malibukid
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Bay City Rollers were OK as well. RIP Les.

That's a bit sad. A documentary came up on Youtube last week on the Bay City Rollers and I watched  it. They had some fun pop songs but my memory is being in primary school and all the girls liked them .

Didn't realise the opening of Saturday Night inspired the Ramones with Blitzkrieg Bop.

Sad how they got ripped off by their manager too. Sure they had a lot of fun though. 

• Like 2

Music is the same as animals. If you must insist, keep it/them to yourself. Mrs can't drive (or be driven) anywhere without Thai pop at appreciable volume. She and her friends sing the same songs at karaoke. Having said that I enjoy the live Thai bands at the semi-outdoor restaurants and jazz whenever I get the chance. To name one especial album I enjoy anytime without suffering a headache; 'Wave' by Antonio Carlos (Tom) Jobim.