How Important is Music in your Life?

Pilotman

On 4/24/2021 at 12:55 PM, Ralf001 said:

Love music and love it loud, not allowed to play it loud at home so have stuffed one of the Skoda's full of gear (4 12" subs and 2 sets of Focal 3 way components all running active (no passive cross overs)).... pushes 130DB quite nicely.

Enjoy it while you can..  555

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Thanks, I intend to. In saying that Iam thinking of upgrading the car and am not sure if I would embark on the huge task to move it all over.

I think you may have missed my point..

I just read an article in the Guardian  a few days ago about the large numbers of musicians (and people who like to listen to loud music) suffering from hearing loss and tinnitus from loud music.. Loud enough and even a single event can result in permanent damage.. They describe the damage as similar in effect, to their careers, as losing a hand.

135db is louder than a jet engine..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bobbin said:

I just read an article in the Guardian  a few days ago about the large numbers of musicians (and people who like to listen to loud music) suffering from hearing loss and tinnitus from loud music.. Loud enough and even a single event can result in permanent damage.. They describe the damage as similar in effect, to their careers, as losing a hand.

Rarely does the volume knob go past 50% so don't worry too much about my hearing.

• Confused 1

On 4/24/2021 at 5:17 AM, bangkok19 said:

I'm 66yo and I thought my high frequency hearing was 'shot' until recently...

I just upgraded the cartridge on my Turntable and I'm hearing instruments I never heard before (on previously played tracks).  Cymbals, hi-hats, tambourines, triangles and hidden xylophone notes from the depths of the vinyl are now attacking my ears within!  Amazing!

Music is my therapy!

Try downloading a Signal Generator so you can measure up to what frequency you can hear. I am 73, pro musician most of my life, loud music etc. 11KHz is my limit, so be it from vinyl or flac or CD, I don't think any hidden percussion will be revealed to me.

6 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Rarely does the volume knob go past 50% so don't worry too much about my hearing.

The physical position of the volume knob means nothing. Depends what is going into the amp as to what comes out.

On 4/24/2021 at 12:55 PM, Ralf001 said:

Love music and love it loud, not allowed to play it loud at home so have stuffed one of the Skoda's full of gear (4 12" subs and 2 sets of Focal 3 way components all running active (no passive cross overs)).... pushes 130DB quite nicely.

How many Skodas do you have?   LOL. 

So you are driving the subs with one amp, and the Focal 3 ways with what.....three more amps. 

Do you drive to local parties or funerals, park up, open the doors and play your 130dB to all & sundry?

Edited by KannikaP

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

The physical position of the volume knob means nothing. Depends what is going into the amp as to what comes out.

I know what is going into the amps and out.

A well powered SQ system sounds far better than a simple head unit with 4 speakers attached.

I choose how far to turn the volume depending on mood and music style.

• Confused 1

How many Skodas do you have?   LOL. 

So you are driving the subs with one amp, and the Focal 3 ways with what.....three more amps. 

Do you drive to local parties or funerals, park up, open the doors and play your 130dB to all & sundry?

2 Octavia's.

Its an active system, each speaker is powered by its own amplifier channel.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2021 at 5:55 PM, Ralf001 said:

There was a time that the Lucky Star 2 bar on Pattaya Walking Street used to play music very loud. AC DC on setting 11 is extremely enjoyable. Sadly they must have been told to reduce the volume because on my next visit it was no more than background noise.

18 hours ago, bobbin said:

I once walked across the park in front of the Grand Palace while they were erecting a large bank of speakers for an upcoming concert of some sort. I made the mistake of walking close to the front of them while they were playing some music. So loud I think I'd have gone stone deaf had I stayed in front of them. After I got out of the way, I did check to see if my ears were bleeding.

Here in Thailand I love every note on the scale.    I have had blissfull experiences with DOE, RAE,  MEE, FAH ,   SO ,  LAH  , TEE ,   and DOE ( she was worth a second chorus) 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

There was a time that the Lucky Star 2 bar on Pattaya Walking Street used to play music very loud. AC DC on setting 11 is extremely enjoyable. Sadly they must have been told to reduce the volume because on my next visit it was no more than background noise.

wasn't your last visit in 2006 ?

11 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

2 Octavia's.

Its an active system, each speaker is powered by its own amplifier channel.

So one stereo amp for the four bass speakers, or are you running those in mono, and another amp for the 2 x 3 ways, yes?

Where do you fit 4 x 12 inch speakers in an Octavia?

almost had it right    5555555555555555

pretty good for me picking a random number !

Edited by rumak
  • Sad 1

Just now, rumak said:

almost had it right    5555555555555555

That's wrong too. See the corrected post. I was having an elder moment when I posted 2009. Even though I moved away from Pattaya and ended up in Chiang Mai, I still visited Pattaya few times before I left LOS for good many years later.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

So one stereo amp for the four bass speakers, or are you running those in mono, and another amp for the 2 x 3 ways, yes?

Where do you fit 4 x 12 inch speakers in an Octavia?

4 mono amps the subs

2  6 channel amps for the 3 way components.

The stereo is in my Wagon.

11 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

4 mono amps the subs

2  6 channel amps for the 3 way components.

The stereo is in my Wagon.

I don't understand. Octavia or Wagon, or do Skoda make a Wagon?

have stuffed one of the Skoda's full of gear (4 12" subs and 2 sets of Focal 3 way components all running active (no passive cross overs)).... pushes 130DB quite nicely.

Or are you Bull S'ing us?

Just thinking of my home theatre set-up of 20 years ago.. $10K invested.. sold off piece-meal for about $500..

Luxman 5.1 Receiver 100 watts RMS per channel. 2 10 inch subs run parallel,  5 Paradigm (highly regarded Canadian brand designed with government research assistance) speakers each with dedicated amps..

That set-up would rock a 2000 square foot bungalow at half volume. Could only do that occasionally or the neighbours would have been outside my door with torches and pitchforks.. Loud.. I wouldn't have heard them knocking.

And you are running an equally (if not more) powerful set-up in an automobile.. Sound pressure to the max.

Like I said Ralf001.. enjoy while you can.. still hear.  Not trying to rain on your parade.. just a heads-up.

Edited by bobbin
  • Like 1

Says it all?Sounds great on a good audio set,nice and loud but not too of course.To all the people who have posted here,there are two great music topics on Thaivisa also,check it out!

Edited by jvs
  • Like 1

I don't understand. Octavia or Wagon, or do Skoda make a Wagon?

have stuffed one of the Skoda's full of gear (4 12" subs and 2 sets of Focal 3 way components all running active (no passive cross overs)).... pushes 130DB quite nicely.

Or are you Bull S'ing us?

Skoda Octavia RS Wagon.

1609416366_SkodaOctaviaVRSWagon.jpg.c2f33ef8f0cc1a7bd39927328ea94fff.jpg

7 minutes ago, bobbin said:

Just thinking of my home theatre set-up of 20 years ago.. $10K invested.. sold off piece-meal for about $500..

Luxman 5.1 Receiver 100 watts RMS per channel. 2 10 inch subs run parallel,  5 Paradigm (highly regarded Canadian brand designed with government research assistance) speakers each with dedicated amps..

That set-up would rock a 2000 square foot bungalow at half volume. Could only do that occasionally or the neighbours would have been outside my door with torches and pitchforks.. Loud.. I wouldn't have heard them knocking.

And you are running an equally (if not more) powerful set-up in an automobile.. Sound pressure to the max.

Like I said Ralf001.. enjoy while you can.. still hear.  Not trying to rain on your parade.. just a heads-up.

I play it at a level Iam comfortable with.

You are delusional if you think I spent extended periods of time sitting in the vehicle playing at maximum volume.

6 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

You are delusional if you think I spent extended periods of time sitting in the vehicle playing at maximum volume.

And personally, I think you are delusional to put such a powerful and expensive audio system in an estate car if you are NOT going to spend extended periods of time sitting in the vehicle playing at ANY volume. 

Where did you put the 4 x 12 inch speakers please?

7 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Not delusional..

Bit of sleight of hand in your answer though.. Thought we were talking about half-volume.. You just substituted "half-volume" with "maximum"