Thai police warning: Don't respond to SMS's about 200K windfalls and free Covid tests

webfact

9pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

The tech crime arm of the Royal Thai police announced that some people had fallen victim to bogus SMS's allegedly emanating from leading banks.

The messages said that customers had won between 100,000 and 200,000 baht.

Others used the ruse of saying their account had just had 50,000 baht removed, please respond.

While yet more promised free Covid-19 tests to anyone foolish enough to respond.

Pol Col Siriwat Deephor said that victims' personal data was asked for and if given was used to empty people's accounts, reported Sanook

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-04-22

18 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

If people cannot work out that they have not entered a competition and still won something then in my opinion they are too stupid to even own a bank account.

If an SMS supposedly from a bank said 50,000 baht had been removed from your account it would raise peoples interest. But surely one would go to the bank in question... not give details over the phone?

I guess as long as people fall for these scams they will keep popping up, there is nowt as stupid as folks............

Have to go now to check my emails, my friend the widow Princess in Somalia should be sending my share of her 32 million dollar inheritance that was stuck in a Swiss bank until I sent her the 1,000 dollars fee to release the funds.....

• Haha 1

I am locked in a dispute with Lazada - they owe me 1060 baht for a returned item.  To get it they want a copy of my bankbook + PASSPORT.  I've tried to point out how risky this is & I am unwilling to do it.  It's been ongoing for six weeks already!