Driving licences: New international permit to drive can be used in 84 countries and for three years

webfact

I dont know if this applied all over Thailand, Last year before covid here in Phuket you could not rent a car without an IDP maybe some places would but I know a car rental place got fined a couple of times, 2000 baht a pop 

My daughter was due to come I checked a couple of place's and they said the same

19 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I dont know if this applied all over Thailand, Last year before covid here in Phuket you could not rent a car without an IDP maybe some places would but I know a car rental place got fined a couple of times, 2000 baht a pop 

My daughter was due to come I checked a couple of place's and they said the same

Are you saying the car rental place got fined for renting a car out to someone who didn't have an IDP. Who fined the rental company ? It may be the rental company policy, but there is no law that says the renter needs an IDP.  In theory the company could rent out a car with no license, its up to them. 

Does that mean If I lend my car to someone without an IDP, do I get the fine ???

Edited by Peterw42

Whatever rumors are spread here.

In  Germany you must not drive longer than 6 months on a license issued by a country outside of EU or EEA. And this is not from an uninformed copy/paster but from the responsible German office.

(Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure)

https://www.bmvi.de/SharedDocs/EN/Articles/StV/Roadtraffic/validity-foreign-driving-licences-in-germany.html

You hold a foreign driving licence that was not issued in a Member State of the European Union (EU) or in a state party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area (EEA) and you take up residence in the Federal Republic of Germany.

If you hold a driving licence from a state that is not a member of the EU or the EEA, this licence will be valid for six months after you have established your normal residence in the Federal Republic of Germany. After this period, your driving licence will no longer be recognized.

Wish I had the corresponding text from Thai department of land transport.

But do not assume you can drive legally for 3 years with a foreign IDP!

Edited by KhunBENQ

14 hours ago, impulse said:

If Thailand issues 1968 IDP's valid for 3 years, doesn't that mean they now accept other countries' 1968 IDPs valid for 3 years?

Of course bilateral. That's why I pointed to this as the real news here (for certain visiting/moving foreigners).

If a country ratifies this treaty then of course they accept foreign IDPs of the same type.

And this news circulates since quite a while.

(I sent a mail to a mate in Germany on March 20 about it)

Edited by KhunBENQ

18 hours ago, Covedian21 said:

There's a time when my country of origin had kept my license because they thought I had a glass of wine too many. 

But when I came back, I just used the Thai license ( totally legal) and i didn't even ask to get my License back.

So, it's useful, without giving anybody here an illegal tip. 

in the case of a prang , I'm not sure how the insurance would sort that one out 55

I suppose you could say the DUI wasn't you

46 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Whatever rumors are spread here.

In  Germany you must not drive longer than 6 months on a license issued by a country outside of EU or EEA.

Nobody here has been spreading rumors about the regulations in Germany.

But you just started it, because what you just said here doesn't even match what the quote, which you provided, says.

Posters seem to be confusing 2 different things:

1. An IDP issued in your home country based on having a DL there which allows you to drive abroad. This can also then be used to apply for a Thai DL..

2. An IDP issued in Thailand based on having a Thai DL which can then be used to legally drive in other countries than Thailand. This will be useful for those expats who no longer have a valid DL in their home country, for example. This is what the article discusses and is I think a new development.

7 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Posters seem to be confusing 2 different things:

1. An IDP issued in your home country based on having a DL there which allows you to drive abroad. This can also then be used to apply for a Thai DL..

2. An IDP issued in Thailand based on having a Thai DL which can then be used to legally drive in other countries than Thailand. This will be useful for those expats who no longer have a valid DL in their home country, for example. This is what the article discusses and is I think a new development.

But point 1 has also changed, even if the article doesn't specifically mention it. Because now an IDP based on the 1968 convention can be used in Thailand, previously this wasn't officially possible because Thailand hadn't ratified the 1968 convention.

Some people here are just confusing things,

In Europe as far as i know you are allowed to drive if you hold a valid IDP.

It does not matter if it is valid for three years.

The law states that if you reside longer than a certain period in a country you are considered to be a resident there and there fore you must have a valid license issued in that country.

So a IDP is valid for three years to use in different countries but not if you live in a country for over a specified time.

Same goes for Thailand,jackdd.

59 minutes ago, jvs said:

The law states that if you reside longer than a certain period in a country you are considered to be a resident there and there fore you must have a valid license issued in that country.

Law of which country? I have never seen a law which says this, but please provide a link / quote of this law, I'm always willing to learn something new.

59 minutes ago, jvs said:

So a IDP is valid for three years to use in different countries but not if you live in a country for over a specified time.

Same goes for Thailand,jackdd.

That's correct. Contrary to many other countries, Thailand doesn't even grant you a grace period, the day you obtain permanent residency you may no longer use your foreign driving license + IDP.

People who stay in Thailand on some temporary permission to stay (tourist, non-immigrant, etc.) aren't considered as living in Thailand though (they are "temporary visitors"), thus they may use their foreign license.

Edited by jackdd

11 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Law of which country? I have never seen a law which says this, but please provide a link / quote of this law, I'm always willing to learn something new.

I just googled it for my country of origin,it is in Dutch but it states basically what i posted before.

https://www.rdw.nl/particulier/voertuigen/auto/het-rijbewijs/buitenlands-rijbewijs-omwisselen/buitenlands-rijbewijs-omwisselen-naar-nederlands-rijbewijs

I am sure it is the same for other European countries.

This is what i found on Thailand,

Once you have been in Thailand for a period extending 3 months, you will need an Thai driving licence, even though international drivers licenses are legally accepted.

29 minutes ago, jvs said:

I just googled it for my country of origin,it is in Dutch but it states basically what i posted before.

https://www.rdw.nl/particulier/voertuigen/auto/het-rijbewijs/buitenlands-rijbewijs-omwisselen/buitenlands-rijbewijs-omwisselen-naar-nederlands-rijbewijs

No it doesn't say what you said before, which was "if you reside longer than a certain period in a country you are considered to be a resident there". It is only about how to convert a foreign driving license to a dutch one.

But I assume that in the Netherlands, it will be quite similar to Germany (KhunBENQ posted this above), which says that if you are a resident in Germany for 6 months you may no longer use a foreign driving license. And as I pointed out in my previous post, similar to Thailand, just that Thailand doesn't grant a grace period, the day you obtain permanent residency in Thailand you may no longer use a foreign driving license. But this is all related to "residents" (immigrants), not about people using temporary visas (non-immigrants).

29 minutes ago, jvs said:

Once you have been in Thailand for a period extending 3 months, you will need an Thai driving licence, even though international drivers licenses are legally accepted.

It doesn't matter how often you write it, it's still wrong. Unless of course you can provide an official source confirming this statement, but so far nobody here on Thaivisa could.

Edited by jackdd

23 minutes ago, jackdd said:

No it doesn't say what you said before, which was "if you reside longer than a certain period in a country you are considered to be a resident there". It is only about how to convert a foreign driving license to a dutch one.

But I assume that in the Netherlands, it will be quite similar to Germany (KhunBENQ posted this above), which says that if you are a resident in Germany for 6 months you may no longer use a foreign driving license. And as I pointed out in my previous post, similar to Thailand, just that Thailand doesn't grant a grace period, the day you obtain permanent residency in Thailand you may no longer use a foreign driving license. But this is all related to "residents" (immigrants), not about people using temporary visas (non-immigrants).

It doesn't matter how often you write it, it's still wrong. Unless of course you can provide an official source confirming this statement, but so far nobody here on Thaivisa could.

Well it seems we disagree.What  i posted was how you can convert a license and why you have to!

It says so in the article,but of course what ever you want.

So can you tall me please why' "it is still wrong"?

I really do not understand.

What do you consider to be a resident here?

18 minutes ago, jvs said:

So can you tall me please why' "it is still wrong"?

I really do not understand.

There is no 3 months limitation to using an IDP in Thailand.

18 minutes ago, jvs said:

What do you consider to be a resident here?

It doesn't matter much what I consider to be a resident here, but Thai law (including the Thai Motor Vehicle Act, covering usage of an IDP), considers only foreigners who have what we here on Thaivisa commonly call "permanent residency status" to be residents of Thailand.

Edited by jackdd

11 minutes ago, jackdd said:

There is no 3 months limitation to using an IDP in Thailand.

It doesn't matter much what I consider to be a resident here, but Thai law (including the Thai Motor Vehicle Act, covering usage of an IDP), considers only foreigners who have what we here on Thaivisa commonly call "permanent residency status" to be residents of Thailand.

Again can you tell me why?

About being a resident or not,i am ,and i do not have permanent residency,so it is

important what you consider being a resident or not.

12 minutes ago, jvs said:

Again can you tell me why?

Because that's what is written in the Thai law: http://web.krisdika.go.th/data/law/law2/%C301/%C301-20-9999-update.htm

มาตรา ๔๒  ผู้ขับรถต้องได้รับใบอนุญาตขับรถและต้องมีใบอนุญาตขับรถและสำเนาภาพถ่ายใบคู่มือจดทะเบียนรถในขณะขับหรือควบคุมผู้ฝึกหัดขับรถเพื่อแสดงต่อเจ้าพนักงานได้ทันที เว้นแต่ผู้ฝึกหัดขับรถยนต์ตามมาตรา ๕๗

ในกรณีที่ผู้ขับรถเป็นคนต่างด้าวซึ่งได้รับอนุญาตให้อยู่ในราชอาณาจักรเป็นการชั่วคราวตามกฎหมายว่าด้วยคนเข้าเมือง ผู้ขับรถซึ่งเป็นคนต่างด้าวนั้นจะใช้ใบอนุญาตขับรถตามมาตรา ๔๒ ทวิ ขับรถในราชอาณาจักรก็ได้ และในกรณีนี้จะต้องมีใบอนุญาตขับรถดังกล่าวพร้อมด้วยเอกสารตามที่ระบุไว้ในอนุสัญญาและหรือความตกลงที่มีอยู่ระหว่างรัฐบาลไทยกับรัฐบาลของประเทศนั้น ๆ เพื่อแสดงต่อเจ้าพนักงานได้ทันที[๔๗]

มาตรา ๔๒ ทวิ[๔๘]  ในกรณีที่มีความตกลงระหว่างรัฐบาลไทยและรัฐบาลต่างประเทศว่าด้วยการยอมรับใบอนุญาตขับรถภายในประเทศซึ่งกันและกัน คนต่างด้าวซึ่งได้รับอนุญาตให้อยู่ในราชอาณาจักรเป็นการชั่วคราวตามกฎหมายว่าด้วยคนเข้าเมือง และมีใบอนุญาตขับรถที่ออกโดยพนักงานเจ้าหน้าที่หรือสมาคมยานยนต์ที่ได้รับอนุญาตจากรัฐบาลของประเทศที่มีความตกลงดังกล่าวกับรัฐบาลไทย อาจใช้ใบอนุญาตขับรถของประเทศนั้นขับรถในราชอาณาจักรได้ตามประเภทและชนิดของรถที่ระบุไว้ในใบอนุญาตขับรถนั้น แต่ต้องปฏิบัติตามอนุสัญญาและหรือความตกลงที่มีอยู่ระหว่างรัฐบาลไทยกับรัฐบาลของประเทศนั้น ๆ และตามบทบัญญัติทั้งหลายในส่วนที่เกี่ยวกับหน้าที่ของผู้ขับรถตามพระราชบัญญัตินี้

Google translate:

Section 42.The driver of a vehicle must obtain a driving license and must have a driving license and a photocopy of the vehicle registration manual while driving or supervising a driving trainee to show to the competent official immediately. Except for the trainee driving under Section 57

In the event that the driver is an alien who is permitted to stay temporarily in the Kingdom under the law on immigration. An alien driver may use a driving license under Section 42 bis to drive a vehicle in the Kingdom. And in this case, the said driver's license, along with the documents specified in the existing conventions and / or agreements, between the Thai government and the government of that country, must be obtained for immediate display to the official.

Section 42 bis [48] in the event that there is an agreement between the Thai government and the foreign government on mutual acceptance of the domestic driving license. An alien who is permitted to stay temporarily in the Kingdom under the law on immigration. And has a driving license issued by a competent official or a motor vehicle association licensed by the government of the country that has such an agreement with the Thai government The driver's license of that country may be used to drive in the Kingdom according to the type and type of vehicle specified in the driving license. But must comply with the existing conventions and or agreements between the Thai government and the governments of that country and the provisions in respect of the duties of the drivers under this Act.

The most important part:

ในกรณีที่ผู้ขับรถเป็นคนต่างด้าวซึ่งได้รับอนุญาตให้อยู่ในราชอาณาจักรเป็นการชั่วคราวตามกฎหมายว่าด้วยคนเข้าเมือง

In the event that the driver is an alien who is permitted to stay temporarily in the Kingdom under the law on immigration

This means people on tourist, non-immigrant, etc. visas / extensions. It doesn't include people with permanent residency status.

Immigration laws use the same wording, if you want to confirm it with another person just show the above Thai sentence to an immigration officer the next time you are at the immigration office, and ask him if this includes you. He will confirm this.

On 4/22/2021 at 4:32 PM, sweatalot said:

I'm confused ...

what home country? Thailand?

Or do you need a UK driving license if you want to drive in the UK with an IDP issued in LOS?

You are confusing yourself mate, stop thinking.