400k in Thai Bank

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That is not a official website. From the bottom of a page on that site. "This is NOT the official website of the Thai Embassy."

I could not find the exact wording of what your wrote before on the site.

scroll down the page Joe, because that's where I copied it from

2 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

If a foreigner passes away in Thailand with no Will then Thailand's Inheritance Law applies.

If you have NOT made a Last Will or Testament, or valid will, the law (intestacy rules) will determine what happens to your assets when you die. Under Thai inheritance laws this generally means that the assets will be distributed amongst the statutory heirs. Under section 1629 of the Civil and Commercial Code of Thailand there are 6 classes of statutory heirs and they are entitled to inherit in the following order:

descendants

parents

brothers and sisters of full blood

brothers and sisters of half blood

grandparents

uncles and aunts

The surviving spouse is a statutory heir, subject to the special provisions of Section 1635 Civil and Commercial Code.

I don't think you knew enough about your friends situation to comment and you evaded my previous question. There could be a number of reasons why his Thai wife(?) wasn't entitled to anything, the main one being under Thai law they were not legally married.

They do NOT apply to foreigners. As I said in previous threads, I had a farang friend who is now deceased. He did not have a Thai will or a will in his home country as he was told that his Thai wife would automatically inherit his Thai estate. She did not receive anything because there was no Thai will. His entire Thai estate went to his estranged heirs/relatives in his home country.

All you doubters/non believers can continue to believe that Thai inheritance laws apply to a foreigner/Thai situation, BUT do so at your Thai partners misfortune. 

I also have advice from 3 legal firms that Thai Inheritance Law does NOT apply

for all those who doubt what I say about the need for a Thai will, here is the process that the Thai authorities followed after the 2 death certificates ( 1 medical & 1 by the District Office ) when my farang friend passed 2 years ago:

1  The police notified the home country embassy and provided copies of both death certificates.

2. The embassy asked if the police had ascertained if there was a Thai will, the police said that the deceased's Thai wife said there was not one ( it should be noted that Thai will's include a section for you to set out your desired funeral arrangements )

3. The embassy notified the home country of the death and that there was no Thai will

4. The home country then ascertained/identified family/relatives/heirs ( not interested in whether they were estranged or not ) of the deceased and they had to arrange for his body to be repatriated to his home country, even though he wanted to be cremated here.

5. The Thai estate was distributed amongst those individuals.

6. Even though the embassy & home country were fully aware there was a Thai wife ( legally married in Thailand ) she did not receive any of his estate.

So I won't be making any further comments on this topic.Therefore continue to doubt the need for a Thai will at your own risk.

1 hour ago, TigerandDog said:

All you doubters/non believers can continue to believe that Thai inheritance laws apply to a foreigner/Thai situation, BUT do so at your Thai partners misfortune. 

I also have advice from 3 legal firms that Thai Inheritance Law does NOT apply

I don't have anything to leave so I don't need a will.

On 4/22/2021 at 4:37 PM, EricTh said:

I don't think this option is available in Thailand's banks and I have read thousands of replies regarding this enquiry in this forum for many years now.

Reply from bangkok bank regarding adding wife to my existing a/c

~~

Regarding for your inquiry, please be informed that you cannot add your wife to your existing Bangkok bank savings account. May we recommend you open the new joint account.

In the event of death, if beneficiaries would like to close and receive fund from the deceased account, the heir need to contact the branch where the account was opened and submit documents required as follows: 

• Court Order appointing Estate Executor (if such court order is not granted in your jurisdiction, an official notification issued by authorities concerned identifying lawful heirs is acceptable)  
  • Identification and Passport of the Estate Executor  
  • Power of Attorney to act on behalf of the Estate Executor (if any) and Identification or Passport of the attorney-in-fact  
  • Certificate of Death  
  • Original concerned passbook  

For all of mentioned documents above, it is highly crucial to certify every page of completely prepared document in front of Thai Embassy officer in your country together with notary public. 

The bank will consider the received information. After the approval, we will issue a draft or cashier’s cheque to the Embassy for submitting to the heir or beneficiaries.  Any operating fee during send the fund will be deducted from the deceased account. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, EricTh said:

It's too troublesome and takes a long time. There must be another way.

I and many others have added our wives as 'authorised users'.

They even issued mine a separate debit card for the Savings account.

Took about 20 minutes for copies of her ID and signatures, issue of debit card.

5 hours ago, wilkis333 said:

Reply from bangkok bank regarding adding wife to my existing a/c

Perhaps the wrong question

Adding your wife to the account would make it a joint account.

You should have asked that you want your wife to have access to your accounts, but not named on the account. If your not specific, don't expect them to think and maybe suggest an alternative.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

I and many others have added our wives as 'authorised users'.

They even issued mine a separate debit card for the Savings account.

Took about 20 minutes for copies of her ID and signatures, issue of debit card.

Maybe some banks allow it and not other banks. What is your bank name?

10 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Maybe some banks allow it and not other banks. What is your bank name?

Bangkok Bank and I've also assisted others to do the same at Kasikorn Banks.

The only difference being Kasikorn will no longer issue a debit card for a Savings account other than to the account holder.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Perhaps the wrong question

Adding your wife to the account would make it a joint account.

You should have asked that you want your wife to have access to your accounts, but not named on the account. If your not specific, don't expect them to think and maybe suggest an alternative.

Email content to bangkok bank

`I would like to know can I add my wife to my existing bangkok bank savings account as an 'existing user', somewhat different than a joint account. Her name will not appear on statements, letters, or Passbook that may be used for Immigration purposes.´

@Tanoshi is correct. 

I just added my wife as signatory to my BBK personal account today.

No change in account number or name ....still in my name only.

BUT, I had to go to the branch where I first opened the account. 

At first they said I had to fill this passbook first, then on issuing a new passbook  she could add her signature. 

I insisted NO, I want it here and now.

(Wife going overseas next week)

So had to get some kind of government authority form (luckily available at the nearby TOT shop), then 30baht stamp (actually one 20B and 2 x 5baht stamps only available at another nearby shop.....which cost B44 to purchase )

Back to the bank, more forms and signatures, then a new passbook produced which cost B100.

All done, but took a lot of pushing and insisting after the "mai di" stage.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, orchidfan said:

I just added my wife as signatory to my BBK personal account today.

I think it's more a case of finding a well trained member of staff that knows their services and how to do it. I originally simple asked my branch was there any way my wife could access my funds without her name being added to my account as Immigration stipulated the account had to be in my sole name.

The girl immediately reached for some forms had my sign 3 sample signatures, then asked would she like a separate debit card for the Savings account (200 baht per year fee applies).

I don't recall having to get tax stamps, but be wrong, it was some time ago.

Many others have done the same, I know, whilst others hit a brick wall. TIT

I did complete it at the same branch I opened my accounts with, but not sure if that's relevant.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wilkis333 said:

`I would like to know can I add my wife to my existing bangkok bank savings account as an 'existing user', somewhat different than a joint account. Her name will not appear on statements, letters, or Passbook that may be used for Immigration purposes.´

I would have worded it slightly different, but you've no guarantee the person dealing with your email understands it, or is familiar with the procedure.

In my opinion your much better going in branch and try to find someone who speaks English.

Don't let your wife do the talking, you may think she understands, but she rarely understands enough, or backs of a confrontation when the first answer she gets it 'no can do', which translated usually means  'I don't know' because of my lack of knowledge and experience.

Just move onto a different member of staff and you can get different answers.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

I would have worded it slightly different, but you've no guarantee the person dealing with your email understands it, or is familiar with the procedure.

In my opinion your much better going in branch and try to find someone who speaks English.

Don't let your wife do the talking, you may think she understands, but she rarely understands enough, or backs of a confrontation when the first answer she gets it 'no can do', which translated usually means  'I don't know' because of my lack of knowledge and experience.

Just move onto a different member of staff and you can get different answers.

100% correct. 

Find the right, English speaking senior staff and insist what you want. 

My wife us very fluent in English,  but I had to do the explaining and why.

I think the form a.d tax stamps were an interim authority for her to be able to be a co~signatory. 

But it worked.

• Like 1