Chances of foreigners over 60 getting covid 19 vaccination

steveb6

2 minutes ago, polpott said:

Will be reentering with an extension of stay and a re entry permit. Both valid until late December. No issues returning for me in 1-3 months time.

What about special Covid requirements?

I had heard that you need to apply to the Thai embassy there and that reentry permits were not enough anymore.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Jingthing said:

Something else to consider for anyone flying back home for jabs

It's highly likely that booster jabs will be needed later perhaps annually to deal with mutations, etc. 

It's unknown at this point whether MIXING vaccine brands will be OK or not.

I normally travel back to the UK annually for a couple of weeks and always have a full check up with my doctor. Haven't been for 2 years due to Covid. I would welcome the booster.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, polpott said:

I normally travel back to the UK annually for a couple of weeks and always have a full check up with my doctor. Haven't been for 2 years due to Covid. I would welcome the booster.

Seems you are a man in full control of his destiny .

The world was made aware of covid 19 in early 2020 . A little over 12 months back in time . 

18 hours ago, polpott said:

Will be reentering with an extension of stay and a re entry permit. Both valid until late December. No issues returning for me in 1-3 months time.

good luck with the 100,000 US dollars of health insurance you will need before you can re enter.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, Thaifly88 said:

I have heard that Thai nationals are in the front of the queue for the vaccine. That makes no sense in terms of the spread of the virus. The virus doesn't care what nationality you are, and putting any group ahead of another , unless it is based on risk category, puts the entire country at a greater risk. Getting the vaccine is not just about an individual becoming immune, it's about protecting the entire population from infection, by vaccinating at risk groups first, then working your way down the risk curve. What passport you hold is irrelevant to your risk category. 

Funny. You're not expecting logic and reason in Thailand, are you? It's Thais First, period, no matter what.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thaifly88 said:

I have heard that Thai nationals are in the front of the queue for the vaccine. That makes no sense in terms of the spread of the virus. The virus doesn't care what nationality you are, and putting any group ahead of another , unless it is based on risk category, puts the entire country at a greater risk. Getting the vaccine is not just about an individual becoming immune, it's about protecting the entire population from infection, by vaccinating at risk groups first, then working your way down the risk curve. What passport you hold is irrelevant to your risk category. 

It works out cheaper for the Thais to be vaccinated first.  Foreigners pay for tests and treatment.  The Thai government pays for treatment of Thais.  Simple maths, lack of moral compass and greed really.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

My guess is that the Thai government is quietly preventing the private hospitals from either importing vaccines at the moment, or else stopping them from selling them if they have managed to get hold of some. After all, how would it look to the public if all the rich Thais and farangs were able to jump the queue and get fully protected months ahead of most of the locals? Given that many of the Thais are so scared of Covid (and rightly so), that might be enough of a provocation to start a full-scale revolution. It would be more tactful on the government's part if it allowed the national vaccination programme to start up in June (or whenever they can), and then quietly allowed the private hospitals to begin selling the vaccines.

That is entirely speculation on my part, or wishful thinking, or whatever you want to call it. If there's any truth to it at all, then medically it's unwise as it's not just about securing supplies of the vaccines, we all know that it also takes a lot of time to get shots in peoples' arms, so it's best to start ASAP. However, as always, politics trumps common sense.

I suspect similarly and it's understandable. There is a serious ethical problem with people buying their way into the front of the queue. It would look very very bad politically. It would have probably have been OK before things went south with the massive recent spread. But that happened so things change.

That said another thing that is objectively unethical is putting low risk Thais ahead of high risk foreigners and it seems to me that's what's going to happen.

• Like 2