Chances of foreigners over 60 getting covid 19 vaccination

steveb6

2 hours ago, nickmondo said:

good luck with the 100,000 US dollars of health insurance you will need before you can re enter.

That is only for COVID and readily available to anyone up to age 99, easy to get online.

the more difficult part is if entering on a re-entry permit based on extension of stay for retirement the Embassies have for some reason been insisting on 400/40k insurance from a Thai company and that is impossible to get if over 75.

• Like 1

Here's the follow up response to trying to register for a jab at Bumrungrad:

"Greetings from Bumrungrad International Hospital.

Taking care of our patients during the covid regardless of their nationalities is our utmost priority 

Please be advised that the current COVID-19 vaccination booking with the Office of Health BMA requires a Thai ID number

However, if there is any major development in vaccination booking, we will update you in due course. 

Best Regards" etc etc

So it doesn't look like some private hospitals will be offering it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Heard from where?

There is certainly no such official policy.

And foreigners living in areas that are making advance preparation report being listed without problem.

It may not be official policy but when the 'volunteers' (who actually get paid) came to the villlage for 2 days to take names for those wishing to be vaccinated, the poo yai made it perfectly clear in several announcements, that this was for Thai only, and in a village where 70% of the locals are Myanmar or Laos, this did not go down well at all.

As for me, the sole foreigner I won't hold my breath. I will wait on the private hospitals selling the jabs, and in the meantime will continue to self isolate.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saltire said:

It may not be official policy but when the 'volunteers' (who actually get paid) came to the villlage for 2 days to take names for those wishing to be vaccinated, the poo yai made it perfectly clear in several announcements, that this was for Thai only, and in a village where 70% of the locals are Myanmar or Laos, this did not go down well at all.

As for me, the sole foreigner I won't hold my breath. I will wait on the private hospitals selling the jabs, and in the meantime will continue to self isolate.

Your Poo Yai was wrong and this is not happening everywgere. Doesn't help those in your village, I know, unless some have the courage to try to speak up and contact the COVID hotline etc.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Here's the follow up response to trying to register for a jab at Bumrungrad:

"Greetings from Bumrungrad International Hospital.

Taking care of our patients during the covid regardless of their nationalities is our utmost priority 

Please be advised that the current COVID-19 vaccination booking with the Office of Health BMA requires a Thai ID number

However, if there is any major development in vaccination booking, we will update you in due course. 

Best Regards" etc etc

So it doesn't look like some private hospitals will be offering it.

A rather odd response, suggests that one has to book through the BMA for vaccination at a private hospital? Also I was of the impression the government registrartion isn't coming online until next Month.

Wonder if foreigners with a Thai ID card (pink card) can register?

Edit: on second thought I think what they are referring to are the COVID vaccine doses currently available in a special set aside for people exposed to the Thonglor cluster.  Not the vaccines that private hospitals will be procuring.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/bma-reserves-6000-doses-of-vaccine-for-people-related-to-thonglor-covid-19-cluster/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

Your Poo Yai was wrong and this is not happening everywgere. Doesn't help those in your village, I know, unless some have the courage to try to speak up and contact the COVID hotline etc.

Yes I agree of course, it's just another example of inconsitency, at all levels.

I am afraid all the locals here are very timid and I am pretty sure none would try to speak up against this and other matters. They are in a precarious position and I hear many times 'Thai always win'.  The migrant population seems afraid of the Thai outhorities in many ways.

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, Sheryl said:

You will be able to get it when it is available. The "when" is the problem.

Ah thanks @Sheryl for actually answering the O/Ps question at last!

@Steveb63 as Sheryl says, yes you will be able to have vaccination jabs. I am 75 and I have already been registered via our village clinic.

Of course as already said, there's no telling when that will be.

Edited by Moonlover

I'd guess that private hospitals will eventually get their hands on vaccines to sell to those who are willing to pay a premium, including foreigners. And again just a guess, I think that will materialize in about 2-3 months from now.

My guess is based on production being ramped up and pressure in the West easing, as the US and Europe will have made good progress by then. That will make it easier for a country such as Thailand to purchase vaccines. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

You are a lot safer here in Thailand than in the Uk (if you believe their figures). 130,000 dead in the UK, 100 here.

My point is that without a test the deaths registered as ie, lung infection or other ailments. Hiding the true covid-19 death rate

• Confused 2

22 hours ago, steveb6 said:

Has anyone heard any information about the possibility of foreigners staying in Thailand over 60 getting the covid-19 vaccination. Do you think we will be able to get it or we will have to go back to our home country?

Yes, all foreigners will be offered free Covid-vaccination according to news articles published in Thaivisa, the vaccination program should begin from June 1st...????

3 hours ago, Henryford said:

You are a lot safer here in Thailand than in the Uk (if you believe their figures). 130,000 dead in the UK, 100 here.

I think you'll find that current numbers (as opposed to the historical numbers you're looking at) for the 2 countries are close to identical, particularly if you add on to the Thai numbers an arbitrary percentage for the indubitable under-testing & under-reporting. Add to that the fact that the trends in the two countries seem to be moving in opposite directions.....

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

A rather odd response, suggests that one has to book through the BMA for vaccination at a private hospital? Also I was of the impression the government registrartion isn't coming online until next Month.

Wonder if foreigners with a Thai ID card (pink card) can register?

Edit: on second thought I think what they are referring to are the COVID vaccine doses currently available in a special set aside for people exposed to the Thonglor cluster.  Not the vaccines that private hospitals will be procuring.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/bma-reserves-6000-doses-of-vaccine-for-people-related-to-thonglor-covid-19-cluster/

Pink card is useless I think. If the holders can read Thai they can try registering with the app. I got through to the point where it asked for a Thai ID number and gave up.

Maybe Bumrungrad is linked to the BMA database. It would make sense if a central database of vaxees is to be kept, which it obviously needs to be. I've asked for clarification but got none.

In any case, let's see what happens May 1st, which of course just happens to be a holiday, as is 2nd and 3rd (and 4th?) I believe. 

25 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Yes, all foreigners will be offered free Covid-vaccination according to news articles published in Thaivisa, the vaccination program should begin from June 1st...????

Um, sources? Thaivisa news articles? Not sure of their validity, have to say.

23 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Assuming foreigners are going to be behind all Thais in the queue, my big question is so when can we get it? Even this year?

I watch the Thai Government official  CCSA briefing every day that is presented in English and specifically aimed at ExPats and it drives me crazy that this question is never addressed clearly and concisely.  The closest they have come is to say that Foreigners will "become eligible during Phase 3 beginning in June".  That's it, nothing more detailed than that one sentence remark which is so ambiguous as to be practically meaningless ????

I mean, what does that even mean to "become eligible"?  As usual here in Thailand, I guess we just have to wait and see.

If you want to follow the CCSA daily briefings in English here is a link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZm2cNO4O3M&t=670s

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, khunPer said:

I sent e-mails to British embassy asking for advice, waste of time.  So i have put my name on a list at a private hospital, and wait until a vaccine becomes available

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Pink card is useless I think. If the holders can read Thai they can try registering with the app. I got through to the point where it asked for a Thai ID number and gave up.

Maybe Bumrungrad is linked to the BMA database. It would make sense if a central database of vaxees is to be kept, which it obviously needs to be. I've asked for clarification but got none.

In any case, let's see what happens May 1st, which of course just happens to be a holiday, as is 2nd and 3rd (and 4th?) I believe. 

What app? I thought not yet released?

Samitivej hospital has a wait list you can get on, just email them.

4 minutes ago, bluemoonpattaya said:

I sent e-mails to British embassy asking for advice, waste of time.  So i have put my name on a list at a private hospital, and wait until a vaccine becomes available

Which hospital?

13 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Um, sources? Thaivisa news articles? Not sure of their validity, have to say.

There's one article HERE.

Thailand’s Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) has repeated its commitment to give everyone in the country – including expats and migrant workers – vaccinations against COVID-19.

Those that are likely to come in contact with foreign tourists would be vaccinated in phase 2 from May. Expats and foreign workers are likely to be vaccinated in phase 3 from June.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I suspect similarly and it's understandable. There is a serious ethical problem with people buying their way into the front of the queue. It would look very very bad politically. It would have probably have been OK before things went south with the massive recent spread. But that happened so things change.

That said another thing that is objectively unethical is putting low risk Thais ahead of high risk foreigners and it seems to me that's what's going to happen.

I'm sure  this "ethics" issue is at the heart of it all but more importantly as you alluded to, it is really a political issue (the optics of a non-Thai being vaccinated before a Thai National).

That's really a very poor argument when you think about it.  The whole point of vaccinations is to protect the entire population, not just the individual.  It should not be a matter of Thai vs Non-Thai.  It should really be a matter of vaccinating those who are most likely to spread the virus first, and that clearly would be the high risk people regardless of whether they are Thai or non-Thai. 

Towards that end, every means of getting vaccines into people should be aggressively pursued and that means allowing private hospitals to procure and administer the vaccines to those who can pay. 

I don't see it as a matter of people with money being unfairly allowed to the front of the line.  I see it as a win-win for Thai and non-Thai alike because every single person who becomes vaccinated is one less person who will spread the virus.  To me, THAT'S what really makes sense.

Considering that the trajectory of new cases is spiralling out of control lately (record 2,070 new cases today), it seems that eliminating all roadblocks to the vaccine rollouts (such as this private hospital debate) is more important than ever.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Something else to consider for anyone flying back home for jabs

It's highly likely that booster jabs will be needed later perhaps annually to deal with mutations, etc. 

It's unknown at this point whether MIXING vaccine brands will be OK or not.

Interesting point - but the annual flu jab has always been a mixed 'cocktail' for example, and in practice it's your own immune system that does all the work - so I can't see how swapping vaccine type for any boosters could be an issue?

18 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

What app? I thought not yet released?

Samitivej hospital has a wait list you can get on, just email them.

I did. I registered with 4 all told. They all initially replied saying I had been added to the list, but Bumrungrad then followed it up with the above.

The app I mentioned was in fact a Line group, so not really an app. But it works like one. It's the one you asked about before. You said you couldn't find it using the English translation. I replied with its Thai name but the mods here removed it. Not very helpful.

7 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I'm sure  this "ethics" issue is at the heart of it all but more importantly as you alluded to, it is really a political issue (the optics of a non-Thai being vaccinated before a Thai National).

That's really a very poor argument when you think about it.  The whole point of vaccinations is to protect the entire population, not just the individual.  It should not be a matter of Thai vs Non-Thai.  It should really be a matter of vaccinating those who are most likely to spread the virus first, and that clearly would be the high risk people regardless of whether they are Thai or non-Thai. 

Towards that end, every means of getting vaccines into people should be aggressively pursued and that means allowing private hospitals to procure and administer the vaccines to those who can pay. 

I don't see it as a matter of people with money being unfairly allowed to the front of the line.  I see it as a win-win for Thai and non-Thai alike because every single person who becomes vaccinated is one less person who will spread the virus.  To me, THAT'S what really makes sense.

Considering that the trajectory of new cases is spiralling out of control lately, it seems that eliminating all roadblocks to the vaccine rollouts (such as this private hospital debate) is more important than ever.

Yes ..... to get maximum benefit you really want to vaccinate the most active spreaders first, irrespective of nationality - which is a totally irrelevant factor in any real vaccine strategy.

If logic was applied rather than politics, you'd start with health workers and sex workers, then schoolchildren, then the working population, then the elderly.

Us old-uns can be comparatively isolated while waiting for our vaccines with no impact on the economy - and we may also get the benefit of the health and sex workers being vaccinated. ????

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, khunPer said:

There's one article HERE.

Ok, I read the link. But there are a lot of ifs and buts ("expats are likely to be vaccinated") and anything Anutin says is just hot air for me, plus that article is already 2 months old. Everything changes here on a daily basis in my experience, that's the point I'm trying to make.

5 hours ago, nickmondo said:

snip

The vaccine will be available here very shortly for anyone that wants to buy it

rumours or for real ...  what hospitals ?   on another thread i saw a list of hospitals  but now cant find it 

I suspect that, as usual in Thailand, where you live and who you know will greatly influence the outcomes for each of us. Living in the Big Smoke life is impersonal and you get to follow the government's 'rules' as they evolve obscurely over the next 6 or more months.

But if you live in rural Isaan (for example) then who your partner is and how well you are both known in the area and particularly to your local doctor & nurses may well produce a different and more positive outcome for you. You may find you just get added to the queue and may pay a small & quite reasonable non-Thais-only fee, or none at all.

We'll all know soon enough. No point losing sleep over it now.

• Like 1