Chances of foreigners over 60 getting covid 19 vaccination

steveb6

2 hours ago, bradiston said:

Here's the follow up response to trying to register for a jab at Bumrungrad:

"Greetings from Bumrungrad International Hospital.

Taking care of our patients during the covid regardless of their nationalities is our utmost priority 

Please be advised that the current COVID-19 vaccination booking with the Office of Health BMA requires a Thai ID number

However, if there is any major development in vaccination booking, we will update you in due course. 

Best Regards" etc etc

So it doesn't look like some private hospitals will be offering it.

Having reread this, I'm wondering if the hospital was simply trying to highlight the difference between their system and the BMA's, in that the BMA requires a Thai ID number, whereas theirs doesn't. Only time will tell I guess.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

Interesting point - but the annual flu jab has always been a mixed 'cocktail' for example, and in practice it's your own immune system that does all the work - so I can't see how swapping vaccine type for any boosters could be an issue?

It's not the same as in this case the world has started with a number of different vaccines using quite different technologies. The issue of mixing first and second dose has been discussed in the press with the conclusion that we don't know yet so not recommended. It's way too early to know what will happen with booster shots for all the different brands 

Edited by Jingthing

4 hours ago, Gillyflower said:

For the Pfizer there  are two injections.  I just had my first yesterday (in France) and have an appointment for the second in 6 weeks time.

That's a lesson for the Thais: in France they vaccinate without discrimination, even women.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

What app? I thought not yet released?

Samitivej hospital has a wait list you can get on, just email them.

Sheryl I am assured by someone that all I have to do is go to the Red Cross and I can get the necessary inoculations there. 

No idea where his information comes from. Or the supposed time line. 

I'm only a few blocks from Bumrungrad soi 3 Sukhumvit, so when I go for my walk tonight I'll go to the Information desk with my membership card, my pink card, and a copy of my passport data page (my real passport is with an agent doing my 90 day report). FWIW, I see the second line of my pink card is a 13 digit number. I'll ask if there is a list I can get on, been meaning to all along.

I'm 81, so if anyone has more info about a type of likely-to-be-required re-entry insurance that's hard to get for those over 75, or whatever age, I offer thanks in advance.

As for vaccine mix and match, I read an article in the Italian daily Il Giornale that there is no problem with such, but obviously we all need as much info as possible about this.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rott said:

Sheryl I am assured by someone that all I have to do is go to the Red Cross and I can get the necessary inoculations there. 

No idea where his information comes from. Or the supposed time line. 

I would take "someone"'s information with a grain of salt.

At this point vaccines are not available to the general public, period.  Once they are we do not yet know what the distribution plan will be for the public sector (of which Red Cross is a part). However the plan seems to be to have people register online via an app soon to be released by the Health Ministry. Presumably they would then be referred to a specific location. Might be hospitals, or clinics, or mass vaccination sites, we don't know yet.

Private hospitals will offer vaccines as well (no info yet on when or which vaccines) and some of them already have waiting lists you can get on.

59 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Having reread this, I'm wondering if the hospital was simply trying to highlight the difference between their system and the BMA's, in that the BMA requires a Thai ID number, whereas theirs doesn't. Only time will tell I guess.

It is a very badly worded response and unhelpful, to be sure. Seems to impkly they have no system and to direct people to the BMA system but with no details or link as to how to use that

Other hospitals doing much better, I got clear and prompt answers from both Samitivej and BNH within a few hours with directions for getting in their waiting list.

On 4/22/2021 at 2:55 PM, Jingthing said:

What kind of extension are you on? Do you intend to come back? My understanding is that there are big issues coming back but I have a hard time keeping up with the specifics of that.

5 hours ago, Henryford said:

You are a lot safer here in Thailand than in the Uk (if you believe their figures). 130,000 dead in the UK, 100 here.

Agree. A bit of an overreaction. Brazil has  3..5 times the population of Thailand and  infection rate is 30 times higher!

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

Looking at the Bummrungbumrungbumgrad website - it looked like a cleverly worded petition to me.

They can go back to the Government and say "look at all these people who registered an interest in paying for a private jab" ..... "let us order some doses".

It didn't give any details on vaccine type, price or timescales.  

9 hours ago, jumbo said:

In the moo baan in Ayutthaya the local government hospital came to enlist all of the people living there for the vaccination

No time line, but foreigners were accepted as well

Not hearing any sound from my employer or the related Social Security nor the private hospital where my SS is registered

for those not so lucky: Why don't they buy the jab(s) in their local farang hospital? still by far cheaper than going back to base just for some stupid shots

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, thurien said:

for those not so lucky: Why don't they buy the jab(s) in their local farang hospital? still by far cheaper than going back to base just for some stupid shots

because it is not available yet and unknown when it will be, but unlikley to be soon.

• Like 2

On 4/22/2021 at 2:53 PM, polpott said:

I'm not prepared to wait and find out. Fly back to UK tonight, vaccine booked for Saturday lunchtime.

You are lucky to be British. I am German and after asking the Embassy if I could get vaccinated in Germany if I fly there I was informed that in Germany only ordinary residents irrespective of nationality are eligible for vaccination. What a disgraceful attitude. I thought the embassies are here to look after the well-being of Germans. But, here you are!

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

At this point vaccines are not available to the general public, period.  Once they are we do not yet know what the distribution plan will be for the public sector (of which Red Cross is a part). However the plan seems to be to have people register online via an app soon to be released by the Health Ministry. Presumably they would then be referred to a specific location. Might be hospitals, or clinics, or mass vaccination sites, we don't know yet.

<a href="https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/confirmed-expats-in-phuket-will-receive-covid-19-vaccines">Confirmed, expats in Phuket will receive Covid-19 vaccines | Thaiger</a><br>

Thaiger, April 1, 2021

"Officials confirmed yesterday that expats in Phuket will be included and receive Covid-19 vaccines as part of the Thai government’s vaccination scheme." (not a word in the article about cost, to either Thai or foreigner)

"A new online form launched today and Phuket’s Vice Governor advised that initial appointments will be made online only."

"Phuket will receive the Sinovac vaccines this month, and AstraZeneca doses as well, suitable for those over 60 years of age, in June."

"About 20,000 workers from 700 businesses have registered so far. The registration is available online, along with a separate site for local residents to register, which went live last Tuesday morning. People who registered previously through the Phuket Provincial Public Health Office’s Google Form do not need to re-register."

links to the original form, a form for residents to use, a form for businesses to use

"All these forms are in Thai only currently."

<a href="https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/health-ministry-launches-mobile-app-for-booking-vaccine-appointments">Health Ministry launches mobile app for booking vaccine appointments | Thaiger</a><br> Friday, April 2

"Next month, the Thai government launches the “Mor Prom,” phone app, which will allow people to make an appointment for a Covid-19 vaccine." I didn't see anything in a search of the Google Play Store, so likely they will throw something out later.

"We need to create herd immunity to prevent another outbreak and revive our economy. To do so, we do need to get the vaccine to at least half of our population." Most numbers I have seen say 70%. I have seen a statement by Dr. Fauci that this value was from the early days, and if he had to guess now with much more data available he would have said more like 90%. But the Public Health Ministry here is claiming 50%? Falang. Falang no understand Thai math.

"The app should be available from May 1 and users can choose appointment slots from June in order to receive a free vaccine at designated state hospitals and public health centres."

"Other channels are being developed for those who don’t have a phone that can download apps."

"Those who receive 2 doses of the vaccine will automatically receive a digital vaccine certificate via the Mor Prom app. This can be displayed later at any hospital in order to apply for an International Travel Health Certificate."

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Private hospitals will offer vaccines as well (no info yet on when or which vaccines) and some of them already have waiting lists you can get on.

I wonder if they are keeping paper lists, and when a vaccine becomes available you will have to register for an appointment in an online system, which if it requires a 13 digit Thai ID number, or IS the Thai government system, again excludes all foreigners.

How long must foreigners wait for this (last in line behind Thais?), how much will it cost (hospitals can legally overcharge foreigners by five times their Thai price), etc.

One advantage might be that if multiple brands of vaccine become approved by the Thai government, and at least one private hospital imports and distributes the brand you want, you can get your own choice of vaccine (possibly if you are willing to pay "at any price").

Edited by dave s

On 4/23/2021 at 7:19 AM, jumbo said:

In the moo baan in Ayutthaya the local government hospital came to enlist all of the people living there for the vaccination

No time line, but foreigners were accepted as well

Not hearing any sound from my employer or the related Social Security nor the private hospital where my SS is registered

Same here in Buriram. They came this morning and put my name on the list. No timeframe given. 

20 hours ago, bradiston said:

Here's the follow up response to trying to register for a jab at Bumrungrad:

"Greetings from Bumrungrad International Hospital.

Taking care of our patients during the covid regardless of their nationalities is our utmost priority 

Please be advised that the current COVID-19 vaccination booking with the Office of Health BMA requires a Thai ID number

However, if there is any major development in vaccination booking, we will update you in due course. 

Best Regards" etc etc

So it doesn't look like some private hospitals will be offering it.

If the top private hospital in Thailand that thrives on international health care can't offer a vaccine then nobody can. 

5 minutes ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Frankly, airport & plane are biggest risks. You're jumping from the frypan here to the fire there to get a vaccine which may not (or may) be protective from variants. Only worth it if you've got money to burn, otherwise stay home & sit it out.

Could n,t agree more... minimum of 16 plus hours taxi airport and flight back to the Uk.not for me, then the hassle of getting back here again. I declined the invitation to have the vaccine in the uk on the reasons just stated....instead i will get Covid19 insurance with Roojai 450 to 850 baht.....and sit it out.

• Thanks 2

Private hospitals are going to Import there own Vaccines so dig into your own Pocket and have your own choice of Vaccine which i am told will be around 2000 - 3000 Baht , i say money well spent instead of hanging around for a free Chineese or Russian Vaccine..

• Like 2

On 4/22/2021 at 8:53 AM, polpott said:

I'm not prepared to wait and find out. Fly back to UK tonight, vaccine booked for Saturday lunchtime.

Dont you have too home quarantine first for 10 days?

I know someone who went back recently she needed to do her quarantine first and she was booked for vaccine the day after her quarantine finished.

23 hours ago, nickmondo said:

total over reaction by this bloke.

if he attempts to come back, he is going to need to pay for Quarantine, and also 100,000 US Dollars health insurance for the WHOLE TIME he wants to stay in Thailand.

Good luck with that.

The vaccine will be available here very shortly for anyone that wants to buy it

Buy ???

Every other country provides it free

• Confused 1

Having read comments from polpott I get the feeling that once he tries to return from the U.K. he will have mega issues my wife who went to the U.K. and had a valid extension of stay as well as her re entry permit was not allowed to return to Thailand . I can visualise polpott turning up at some airport with his passport duly stamped only to be turned away I did note that there was no mention either from him of having a return flight . I wish him look but without all the requirements required and it is considerable plus what would be a 7 or 10 night quarantine stay in Bangkok I think he will be drinking a lot more pints of Stella back in the U.K. !

Edited by crazykopite

9 minutes ago, pattayapip said:

Thank you for your e-mail.

Thank you for contacting Bangkok Hospital Pattaya.

In response to your inquiry, please be informed that the service for COVID-19 vaccination is not yet available in our facility. 

We have already pre-ordered the COVID-19 vaccines from the supplier and we will be offering it to Thai nationals and Non-Thai residents following the approval of FDA Thailand. Most likely, it will be available by end of June. More details will be informed once vaccines are commercially available here and we will announce accordingly via our website.

Also, we have included you on our waiting list and we will send direct e-mail to you for your information. Thank you.

You can bet on dual-pricing

• Like 2