Chances of foreigners over 60 getting covid 19 vaccination

steveb6

18 minutes ago, polpott said:

The restrictions on travel abroad will almost certainly be lifted before the end of May. I qualify anyway as needing to return for property issues.

I know several people who had a need to travel to the US in the last month who returned without issue.  That is to say, it was certainly a lot of paperwork and involved quarantine stays but they were not actually prevented from returning here.

Of course getting OUT of Thailand and admitted to another country could soon become a problem if the rise in cases keeps mounting here.  I mean up until the beginning of April, new daily cases were typically only in the double digits.  As of today, it is 2,839 new cases...in a single day!  New daily cases almost doubling in the last 10 days.  NOT GOOD NEWS AT ALL.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

On 4/22/2021 at 9:43 AM, steveb6 said:

Do you think we will be able to get it or we will have to go back to our home country?

Quote:
Thailand’s Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) has repeated its commitment to give everyone in the country – including expats and migrant workers – vaccinations against COVID-19.

Those that are likely to come in contact with foreign tourists would be vaccinated in phase 2 from May. Expats and foreign workers are likely to be vaccinated in phase 3 from June.

Source and full article HERE.

On 4/23/2021 at 3:23 AM, nickmondo said:

total over reaction by this bloke.

if he attempts to come back, he is going to need to pay for Quarantine, and also 100,000 US Dollars health insurance for the WHOLE TIME he wants to stay in Thailand.

Good luck with that.

The vaccine will be available here very shortly for anyone that wants to buy it

100k Health insurance for the whole time of your permission to stay. Likely to be 3-4 months for me. UJ steered me to an excellent provider in Thailand.

Fully aware of the quarantine rules, hopefully 7 days for me.

Equally good luck to you in getting the vaccine, in Thailand, any time soon.

Edited by polpott

3 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

Of course getting OUT of Thailand and admitted to another country could soon become a problem if the rise in cases keeps mounting here.  I mean up until the beginning of April, new daily cases were typically only in the double digits.  As of today, it is 2,839 new cases...in a single day!  New daily cases almost doubling in the last 10 days.  NOT GOOD NEWS AT ALL.

I'm going back 3rd week of June. And yes I have to go, it isn't optional. By then things in Thailand will either be a lot better or a lot worse. Hopefully the former. I'm hoping Qatar will be removed from the UK  redlist by then so that I can use my existing ticket and not have to buy another from FINNAIR say, but Thailand itself could potentially be added that that redlist ! ????

9 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

I'm going to presume foreign diplomats have all been vaccinated. How? Once the home front is adequately vaccinated, could not embassies vaccinate their citizens abroad?

Difficult to see how Embassies would meet the criteria laid down by the Thai government of an authorised medical service provider with the required qualified medical personnel, equipment and facilities to not only store and administer the vaccines but also to be able to cope with any adverse reactions - such as recipients who go into anaphylactic shock, of which there are always a small number, with any vaccine.

2 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

I'm going back 3rd week of June. And yes I have to go, it isn't optional. By then things in Thailand will either be a lot better or a lot worse. Hopefully the former. I'm hoping Qatar will be removed from the UK  redlist by then so that I can use my existing ticket and not have to buy another from FINNAIR say, but Thailand itself could potentially be added that that redlist ! ????

It also occured to me that Thailand might be raised to the "red list" for international travel.  I'm not sure what the criteria is for determining what category a country is listed in. 

I mean, if you look at the total number of active cases here right now, it's relatively small (even on a per capita basis) compared to many countries but if you look at the rising rate of daily new reported cases, that has increased dramatically in the last month.  Before April daily new cases were only as high as the double digits, but during April it has risen to almost 3,000 per day (as of today), and that is a doubling of new cases per day in just the last 10 days.

As of 19 April the American CDC rates Thailand in Level 1 (the safest category).  I wonder if that will change soon ???

1491984325_snapshot_2021-04-24at9_43_31PM.jpg.c4665a24585cd311f6644f7da8e56b19.jpg

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/map-and-travel-notices.html

When you look at the entire world, Thailand still seems to be a pretty safe place...at least according to the latest updates from the American CDC, so personally speaking, I'm just staying put here in Thailand until I hear otherwise.

2107622480_snapshot_2021-04-24at9_41_24PM.jpg.715d3815a057847fcb089f73746bf1ae.jpg

Edited by WaveHunter

1 hour ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Difficult to see how Embassies would meet the criteria laid down by the Thai government of an authorised medical service provider with the required qualified medical personnel, equipment and facilities to not only store and administer the vaccines but also to be able to cope with any adverse reactions - such as recipients who go into anaphylactic shock, of which there are always a small number, with any vaccine.

In an open letter from the US Embassy sent to all US Citizens living here that are registered to receive important notifications of interest by email (STEP program), they made it clear that the embassies would not be playing any role in administering vaccinations to citizens living overseas. 

BTW, If you are a US citizen and not enrolled in the STEP program, you should be.  Here is the link to sign up:

https://step.state.gov/

2144168074_snapshot_2021-04-24at10_03_02PM.jpg.d2441887d97ed66d063ea815ecc67111.jpg

Edited by WaveHunter

On 4/22/2021 at 10:00 AM, Jingthing said:

Something else to consider for anyone flying back home for jabs

It's highly likely that booster jabs will be needed later perhaps annually to deal with mutations, etc. 

It's unknown at this point whether MIXING vaccine brands will be OK or not.

Several European countries have started mixing vaccines, for those whose first dose was Astra Zeneca Denmark and Norway I think, plus maybe France but not so sure. I am not sure what sort of testing they have done as trials on mixing have only just entered second stage in the UK. 

6 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

It also occured to me that Thailand might be raised to the "red list" for international travel.  I'm not sure what the criteria is for determining what category a country is listed in. 

It is a combination of the infection rate and trend, as well as vaccination rate (where Thailand will not rate well) but I don't know the exact formula.

Edited by Tuvoc

On 4/22/2021 at 3:05 PM, polpott said:

Will be stopping off at the pub opposite my house before starting my quarantine. Pint of Stella and full monty on order. I believe that GPS signal is unable to differentiate between my house and the pub beer garden. 20 yards apart.

that's how quarantine is supposed to work, spread it around a bit before isolating 

6 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

It is a combination of the infection rate and trend, as well as vaccination rate (where Thailand will not rate well) but I don't know the exact formula.

All I know for certain is that, based on most recent reports from US CDC and Johns Hopkins data,, Thailand is STILL a far safer place to be right now compared with the US or UK, based on cases per million of population. 

All things considered, I just think it's a better bet to stay here in Thailand and wait for the vaccines to eventually become available than to just "jump out of the frying pan and into the fire" by returning home (to a Level 4 country) to get vaccinated now.

I mean if you look at a graph of cumulative cases of COVID per million of population, it becomes pretty clear.  A little over 700 cases per million (here in Thailand) is less than 1% of what it is in the US

2092793383_snapshot_2021-04-25at10_28_16AM.jpg.01422f80337fd18a2b3e9eb89c5b1951.jpg

Anyone who wants to track the latest data for Thailand or their own home country can easily do so at https://ourworldindata.org/covid-cases

Edited by WaveHunter

2 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

All things considered, I just think it's a better bet to stay here in Thailand and wait for the vaccines to eventually become available than to just "jump out of the frying pan and into the fire" by returning home (to a Level 4 country) to get vaccinated now.

I agree with you. In my case I cannot stay put, I need to go back. if I could stay here until later in the year I would. Of course I will get vaccinated when I return, but that is not why I'm returning.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

I agree with you. In my case I cannot stay put, I need to go back. if I could stay here until later in the year I would. Of course I will get vaccinated when I return, but that is not why I'm returning.

I understand.  I'm planning to return to the US eventually as well (probably at the beginning of 2022) but I just want to have good memories of Thailand once things start to improve here, instead of how things are right now which frankly is pretty depressing compared to pre-Covid..

Edited by WaveHunter

17 hours ago, Kinok Powell said:

Thinking of doing the same.Can you please tell me where you got your covid test to fly?

Bangkok Pattaya Hospital. 5th floor, main building. Need an appointment.

Tested 9am results at 3pm. 3800 baht payable on receipt of 2 copies of certificate.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, steve187 said:

that's how quarantine is supposed to work, spread it around a bit before isolating 

Not for me, I don't have Covid and had my first AZ vaccination yesterday. Zero adverse effects, not even a sore arm.

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

All I know for certain is that, based on most recent reports from US CDC and Johns Hopkins data,, Thailand is STILL a far safer place to be right now compared with the US or UK, based on cases per million of population. 

Untrue. Thailand and UK have almost identical populations, less new cases in UK yesterday compared to Thailand despite UK doing vastly more testing.

Thailand may have been safer a few weeks ago, not now.

On 4/22/2021 at 2:47 PM, Jingthing said:

Eventually but apparently we're behind all Thais even if you're in high risk groups.

Such as:

Over 65

Comorbitities such as lung disease indicating asthma, diabetes, etc.

Obesity

Age 60 is not considered a high risk group.

It doesn't seem humane but it does seem nationalistic. 

If they refuse vaccinate us why should we have to pay dual priced health care if we get Covid-19? Personally I refuse to pay more than Thais in this case ????????

On 4/23/2021 at 2:42 PM, Kinnock said:

Yes ..... to get maximum benefit you really want to vaccinate the most active spreaders first, irrespective of nationality - which is a totally irrelevant factor in any real vaccine strategy.

If logic was applied rather than politics, you'd start with health workers and sex workers, then schoolchildren, then the working population, then the elderly.

Us old-uns can be comparatively isolated while waiting for our vaccines with no impact on the economy - and we may also get the benefit of the health and sex workers being vaccinated. ????

So logic tells me if a sex worker gets jabbed then I jab the sex worker, that may count as my first of two jabs...or am I off base a little. :)!

• Haha 2

On 4/25/2021 at 1:24 PM, polpott said:

Untrue. Thailand and UK have almost identical populations, less new cases in UK yesterday compared to Thailand despite UK doing vastly more testing.

what was the wait like at heathrow immigration?

15 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

what was the wait like at heathrow immigration?

Flew into Manchester. Immigration had a cursory look at my paperwork and I was through. Quickest transit from plane to baggage carousel I have ever had.

However walking through the green lane I was pulled. Searched, intimately questioned and had my passport taken away for enquiries about my record. Took an hour and wasn't allowed to phone my friend, who was waiting outside for me. 

Not 100% sure why but suspect that Schipol immigration had set me up after a horrendous experience there.

First time that I have been stopped by customs anywhere in the World.

Edited by polpott
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, MarcIssan said:

So logic tells me if a sex worker gets jabbed then I jab the sex worker, that may count as my first of two jabs...or am I off base a little. :)!

Indeed; 1st jab to prevent Covid, but maybe also 1st jab for some STD??????555

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, polpott said:

Flew into Manchester. Immigration had a cursory look at my paperwork and I was through. Quickest transit from plane to baggage carousel I have ever had.

However walking through the green lane I was pulled. Searched, intimately questioned and had my passport taken away for enquiries about my record. Took an hour and wasn't allowed to phone my friend, who was waiting outside for me. 

Not 100% sure why but suspect that Schipol immigration had set me up after a horrendous experience there.

First time that I have been stopped by customs anywhere in the World.

Good you only got questioned intimately, you could have experienced the same quality service physically. 555555

• Haha 1

On 4/25/2021 at 1:24 PM, polpott said:

The UK still has 80K active cases. How many of them could potentally infect others as they may be 'home isolating'. They still have 2000+ cases  da, reducing mostly due to the vaccination drive. Don't expect Thailand to see the case numbers the UK had.