Another Marathon of paperwork -Thai Wife ext.

On 4/22/2021 at 4:47 PM, GreasyFingers said:

Writing you full name is a new one too, before it was just the signature on every page.

Last year in Trat; 6 photos 2 copies; cut out photos from your A4s stick them to their A4s with a pre-printed Name......................Sign.......................????

dafter by the minute, I am of the opinion all this extra BS is for them to keep their jobs. 

• Like 2

I went through a similar exercise with the last two marriage visa extensions, each year just the run around by these clowns at IM was for more paperwork, they could not ever point me to the legal requirement for the additional requests. 

As the legislation indicates IM visa approvals are always at the discretion of the IM officer; my wife was in in tears both times.

I decided ok enough of this <deleted> i can see what these unscrupulous charters are up to; forcing me to use a visa agent to enhance their financial wellbeing.

Found a great agent; he moved me to a retirement visa (as I am an old fart), paid the required IM benevolent fund money and bob's your uncle everything happens each year now with no hassles and a  minimum of paperwork.

There is a price to pay for sanity here and you just have to bite the bullet.   

Money can buy you anything you like in Thailand as you see daily from all the news items. 

This says it all   https://www.nacc.go.th/english

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

"And I'm guessing you don't have money in the bank"

I have ample, thank you for you kind concern

Whilst never used a marriage visa for my retirement  visa i still use same agent who dealt with my company and work permits years ago and no i never have to go to immigration

I prefer this system obvously each to their own

• Like 2

12 hours ago, fishtank said:

Good post.

People having problems are having them because they do not provide the easy correct documents.

Never had a problem in 17 years.

Immigration are easy to deal with.

Simple as that.

May I point out that IMO, the majority of IOs are well mannered, but there are too many who are not. On another occasion, I won't bore you with all the details, but an IO said to me "come back tomorrow and bring your wife"  I live about 60Ks away, I said "No! I want to see your boss" the boss arrived and in a very pleasant manner, took my side and sorted it out.

• Like 2

On 4/22/2021 at 5:19 PM, potless said:

It seems like pure provocation. Probably designed to "encourage" an applicant to cough up some money either directly, or through an agent, to smooth the process. Disgraceful;.

There is a choice. Do it their way or your way. I believe the quote is "He chose poorly"

• Confused 1

On 4/22/2021 at 4:47 PM, GreasyFingers said:

It is on my list, but I do update any changes from year to year. The old passport request is a new one (I was there in January) and they did not need even a copy of the original visa.

Writing you full name is a new one too, before it was just the signature on every page.

You can obtain from UK stationery shop a small stamp with your name imprinted, a wee ink pad, and you are done. I believe you can also get an actual copy of your signature imprinted, that would really <deleted> them off. But don’t forget to buy 2 different shades of blue inkpads.

My commiserations.   No consolation, but I did my Marriage extension last Tuesday/21st in Phuket.   No issues, exactly the same as last year and the year before that.   I keep the required documentation as scanned copies including Marriage certificate, wife ID card, house book etc, ready for printing, so the only extra chore is the wife going to the local Amphur for the new Kor Ror 2.   Even the 2 photos of us together, inside and outside the house, are the original photos from some years ago.   For me anyway, as easy as the Retirement extensions I did previously.   Oh, never had a home visit either.   I guess that it helps that we live less than 15 minutes from the Immigration Office, and whether doing an extension or 90 day report (5 minutes tops, drive through) we co-incide it with a visit to one of our favourite restaurants for lunch.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

I am only going to refer to No1 of your 7 points. I do not agree with this at all, sure, you start of with a wai and be very pleasant when handing over your passport for your 90 day report.

The officer looked at my passport, then in a hostlle manner he accused me of being on a 25 day overstay, I stood up, then said in the same manner he showed me, something like "nonsense!  OK I will go and get you 20.000 Bt from the bank". Then told him to give me my passport back, again in the same manner he showed me.

He then took me to his boss, asked me to wait outside the bosses office, then everything was sorted out in two mins.

Don't be a member of the "scared of your own shadow" brigade. Treat people as they treat you, no matter who they are, IOs or not.

Nah...You were lucky....bad advice

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Which Embassies issue passports?

Many accept applications for them and then give it to you when it has been received by them from a person's home country.

I don't think very many still actually produce them now.

• Thanks 1

On 4/22/2021 at 4:43 PM, EricTh said:

This is ridiculous. What if we lost our old passport?

That's what I said, the rules keep on changing everytime a new immig. boss comes in.

Why the need for an old passport when the visa has already been transferred to the new passport? 

By right, they should have a scan copy of all the extensions in their own computer system. Why the need for tons of documentation when they don't keep it in their computer system?

Thailand is a laughing stock who still require tons of photocopying when everywhere else is going digital.

Thailand 4.0 has been O.O since it's inception, the idea of computerisation or digitalisation is remove paperwork not increase it but the Thai bureaucracy is so dumb it can't work this out.

• Like 1

Ugh, barely few sentences in I had an inkling this would be Chiang Mai. Oh, joy.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm due for a new passport soon. 

OP, if you see this... Just curious, were you staying here long enough that the visa you initially entered this country in were in your previous passport? Thanks!

Edited by ttkeric
Added a question for OP

7 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

is there any benefit to going for the marriage visa over a "retirement visa"

You can work with a "marriage visa"   obviously you also need a work permit and a job !  ????

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, johng said:

You can work with a "marriage visa"   obviously you also need a work permit and a job !  ????

Yes that's a reason...but I hear getting a WP is maybe even worse and more cumbersome than a marriage visa. Imagine having to do both every year.

On 4/22/2021 at 4:35 PM, robblok said:

Sad to hear, when i was married and used this extension it was always a problem. Looks like they hate that kind of extension.

The people who do retirement have it much easier. 

disagree. Been extending this way for years. Once you get know what your office requires, it's a no brainer..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ttkeric said:

Ugh, barely few sentences in I had an inkling this would be Chiang Mai. Oh, joy.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm due for a new passport soon. 

OP, if you see this... Just curious, were you staying here long enough that the visa you initially entered this country in were in your previous passport? Thanks!

Irrelevant as they have you on file and they are the ones who transfer the extension to your new passport. I am due for a new passport as well because they do not like my last passport pages because they have been stapled to death. I have only been asked once 10 years ago to bring the old passport. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

I visited years ago but don't like chilly temps, smoke and western idiots by the truck full, so thankfully I never found that out..

Actually with the borders closed CM is very enjoyable right now. Even had rains clearing the air. But the last 2 days have been exceptionally hot because humidity has been high. Immigration last year was a breeze but this report doesn’t sound good for this year. 

Edited by holy cow cm
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Thats just not true (generally). I have been using that office since it opened AND went there 3 days prior to ask and get all the written requirements and they STILL changed things on the day !

Did they say anything about a home visit  before visa will be granted ?

3 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Actually with the borders closed CM is very enjoyable right now. Even had rains clearing the air. But the last 2 days have been exceptionally hot because humidity has been high. Hi migration last year was a breeze but this report doesn’t sound good for this year. 

There's an old Canadian saying that I just made up " there's always a bright side to a s*** storm"...

33 minutes ago, Denim said:

Did they say anything about a home visit  before visa will be granted ?

Home visit was last year, they said not this year may be in year 3 or 5. So leaving it open for them to throw that little gem in whenever it suits.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, problemfarang said:

another good reason to use agency. This is also what IO wants so they can make extra money. Simple as that. This is also confirmed a year ago from 1 of my good IO friends.

Tbh i dont mind to pay 15K 1 time in a year instead of seeing a IO face. Agency no headache and so easy... 

Could you clarify ? 1500 or 15,000 ?