Harsher COVID Measures Possible

snoop1130

7 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said harsher disease control measures may be imposed if existing ones fail to control the latest wave of COVID-19.

Thaiwrath said:

Close shopping malls at 8.30pm ????

And if that doesn't work then form a committee to consider asking police authorities if they wouldn't mind enforcing the rules that you already issued .... please?!.

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, austhai said:

Asymptomatic should be allowed to self quarantine at home unless the government want to cover the cost. No one without symptoms should be used to make money & held against their will.

No one with symptoms should be used to make money and held against their will. 

Only those who require hospitalisation under conventional terms should be hospitalised.

This of course costs, those who are not on the Thai social healthcare system and can’t receive free healthcare should have insurance which covers Covid-19.

I think if a foreigner requires hospitalisation (for anything) they have to be able to cover their costs. 

Of course, if that foreigner is working and has contributed to Thailand and paid tax, they should also be covered by the Thai healthcare system. 

There are grey area’s of course....   but charging someone who is perfectly healthy to be held in a field isolation facility is insanity.... I can’t see it happening.

But, I can envisage the possibility foreigner who is asymptomatic being expected to isolate in a private hospital and suffer the costs, which in this case, IMO is highly unfair, particularly if there is an issue with their insurance not covering asymptomatic hospital stays / isolation. 

6 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Encouraging people to travel was one of the reasons for the extended Songkran holiday

There were a number of newspaper articles back in March before the Thonglor/Ekkamai debacle.

One from the BP

"People would be allowed to travel across the country to celebrate, the PM said, but each area must impose measures to prevent the virus spreading.

Gen Prayut said he wanted to see the economy improve and people’s income boosted by tourism activities over the long holiday.

He therefore vowed to ease restrictions ahead of the festival so that people had enough time to plan their trips and make hotel reservations."

With apologies to BKKBrian who was  quicker than me.

"Encouraging people to travel was one of the reasons for the extended Songkran holiday"

Yep, 4 days not 3 this year, thanks to the additional so-called "stimulus" holiday on Monday 12 April.

"Gen Prayut said he wanted to see the economy improve and people’s income boosted by tourism activities over the long holiday"

All that this additional holiday ended up stimulating was the COVID-19 virus, I think.

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Seriously though, while Covid-19 is definitely an issue, one of the other issues is the potential for over reaction...  

... wash your hands, wash your hands and then wash your hands some more... 

... don’t touch your face, eyes, mouth etc... then wash your hands again...  

IMO.... this protects us the most...  I don’t think getting a hair cut is an issue unless someone carrying the SARS-CoV-2 virus in the salon is coughing and spluttering.

.....  Now trying sneezing on a flight and look around at all the ’stink-eye’ being levelled at you !!!

A sneeze, a cough, a scratchy nose is now viewed as a major offence !!!

Hysteria has definitely taken hold and it has done for over 12 months...  its time to apply common sense surely...  IMO shutting down restaurants and hair salons is not the battle front against Covid-19. 

Restaurants are higher risk than hair salons as people remove their masks to eat. 

We now know most infections are from breathing in droplets. Your emphasis is just wrong.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Restaurants are higher risk than hair salons as people remove their masks to eat. 

Are you really worried about contracting Covid-19 in a restaurant ???? (or a hair salon). 

Personally, I don’t see any risk at all - unless someone starts coughing and spluttering everywhere. 

I see far greater risk in placing my hand on the escalator, pressing the buttons in a lift, pushing a door handle, signing for the bill in a super-market with a shared pen, receiving change when paying with cash because the vendor doesn’t accept contactless payment..... 

Of course, all of those situations where I do see risk can be countered by washing my hands and using sanitising gel. 

Face masks....  I know its a subject of huge debate and I’m happy to wear mine, but I believe the only good they do is to prevent the spread from those pigs who sneeze and cough and forget the basics of human hygiene by covering there mouth and nose. 

Thus: If people are in a restaurant eating and behaving normally, I don’t see any elevated risk whatsoever, none at all - unless of course a totally obnoxious a-hole sneezes carelessly (and happens to be carrying SARS-CoV-2).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

We now know most infections are from breathing in droplets. Your emphasis is just wrong.

We know ????.... 

I think you mean.... amongst other primary factors, transmission is also thought to be from breathing in the aerosol expelled by a contagious person when in close proximity. 

People don’t breath out droplets, they cough out and sneeze out droplets of varying size which land on surfaces which a person touches then hand to mouth transmission occurs. 

Of course, there is also the risk of a contagious person breathing out out aerosol (to which the SARS-CoV-2 virus is attached) and another breathing that contaminated aerosol in, but that does not happen across a room. In an enclosed space that does not happen beyond 1.5 meters (allegedly), unless the AC is particularly strong etc. 

Thus: intelligent social distancing measures in a restaurant ’should’ be sufficient. Of course, nothing is water tight, but is shutting down more businesses an effective solution ?

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I think your understanding of how this virus spreads is very flawed.

Fair enough.... I think your understanding of how this virus spread is very flawed !!!. 

You seem to think a person who is positive can breath and person 5 meters away can contract Covid-19. 

Perhaps thats possible in perfect conditions, i.e. a fan, strong air-con etc blowing the sputum of a symptomatic person across the room. 

But... look at the who is in these restaurants, not people with symptoms (who have a high viral load and ar coughing and sneezing), just people...  Of course, its possible some ‘could’ be carrying the SARS-CoV-2 virus (quite likely IMO). 

Will others in that restaurant definitely contract Covid-19 because someone in there was ‘breathing’ ?

Will anyone outside of a 1.5m radius breath in the water droplets (aerosol) from the positive persons breath ????

The risk with transmission of SARS-CoV-2 is far less to do with breathing in the aerosol of another and far more to do with hand to mouth transmission from touching surfaces onto which the ‘fresh’ aerosol of a ‘positive’ person has fallen. 

Thus: If correct measures are taken, surfaces are regularly cleaned, we are careful what we touch and wash and sanitise our hands we have minimised the risk.

There is no need to shut down businesses, those same businesses can simply ask people to employ common sense measures. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, austhai said:

Asymptomatic should be allowed to self quarantine at home unless the government want to cover the cost. No one without symptoms should be used to make money & held against their will.

Self quarantine is the same as confining a monkey inside the house with the gate unlocked, do you think the monkey will not go out of the house?

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Andycoops said:

All due to the government encouraging the citizenry to travel over Songkran and merrily spread the virus to the four corners of the Kingdom.

Harsher measures is just what they want to suppress opposition to their incompetent administration.

I also note that the billionaire health Nut is keeping quiet and out of site recently, since the surge in cases.

Until today recommending herbal remedies.

13 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Seriously they should ban eating indoors at restaurants and hair salons.

Why on earth hair salons???

they have nto been implicated in outbreaks anywhere that I know of and why would they be?

28 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Why on earth hair salons???

they have nto been implicated in outbreaks anywhere that I know of and why would they be?

Then you haven't been paying attention as salons have at times been closed in many countries.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/covid19-hair-nail-salons-safety-risk

As I already said lower risk than restaurants. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Then you haven't been paying attention as salons have at times been closed in many countries.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/covid19-hair-nail-salons-safety-risk

As I already said lower risk than restaurants. 

Countries have closed them, yes.

But not a single outbreak cluster ever found due to one that I know of.

Simple mask wearing should suffice.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

BANGKOK, April 22 (TNA) – Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said harsher disease control measures may be imposed if existing ones fail to control the latest wave of COVID-19.

But Anutin has said that Covid-19, the virus from Wuhan is stagnating in two weeks. Why impose harsher disease control measures. Today’s figures are up.

E3B71DA5-6979-47B7-8049-E5850C1F31E2.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Countries have closed them, yes.

But not a single outbreak cluster ever found due to one that I know of.

Simple mask wearing should suffice.

Again I didn't suggest they were the highest risk.

But I think you well know probably the majority of people don't have the snuggest fits on their masks so that with close prolonged contact there is definitely risk. Also considering how many cases are asymptomatic. 

The point is that nobody wants full lockdowns but there are additional measures that could be done short of that. 

21 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

harsher disease control measures may be imposed if existing ones fail to control the latest wave of COVID-19.

If???????????????????

Over 2,000 new cases today, the existing control measures have clearly failed, now get on and do something about it!

Stopping all non-essential travel is the only way you will do that, not tinkering around with convenience store opening hours, or what can be served with a meal.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Andycoops said:

All due to the government encouraging the citizenry to travel over Songkran and merrily spread the virus to the four corners of the Kingdom.

Harsher measures is just what they want to suppress opposition to their incompetent administration.

I also note that the billionaire health Nut is keeping quiet and out of site recently, since the surge in cases.

Yea letting Songran go ahead and people crowding everywhere was clearly quite a big mistake. That was expected since the numbers were already high at the time. Of course nobody wants lockdowns but now would probably be the time for more restrictions with over 2000 daily cases. Funny to think that there was a lockdown in April 2020 with some 100-150 daily cases but hardly any restrictions now with 2000 cases????

• Like 1

On 4/22/2021 at 4:26 PM, Danderman123 said:

Symptomatic Covid patients should be hospitalized. If hospitals run out of beds in Thailand, then we are all in big trouble. 

If they don't need active treatment why hospitalise someone. BTW I am a retired Hospital Doctor. Negative feedback from the ThaiVisa medical experts inevitable now...

2 minutes ago, Antiparovian said:

If they don't need active treatment why hospitalise someone. BTW I am a retired Hospital Doctor. Negative feedback from the ThaiVisa medical experts inevitable now...

You are suggesting that Symptomatic Covid patients should not be treated?