Concrete roofs

HeijoshinCool

Flat roofs in high rain areas always start to leak, eventually. They are generally used in areas of low rain-fall like North and East Africa and the ME. They also cause rooms below to become very hot.

Most countries that have high rainfall, or snow use steeply slanted roofs to shed rain and snow fast.

One of the reasons Thai style roofs are a good idea in this climate. Both for shedding rain and for the high volume of air for insulation.

Edited by KarenBravo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KarenBravo said:

Flat roofs in high rain areas always start to leak, eventually

That would indicate poor design, common in Thailand.

[flat roofs] also cause rooms below to become very hot.

This also indicates poor design, again common in Thailand.

Most countries that have high rainfall, or snow use steeply slanted roofs to shed rain and snow fast.

For snow yes it can be a common approach. Steep roofs for rain? Thatching is the only type of roof I can think of that benefits from that. Modern shingles found in Thailand on the other hand do not even allow steep roofs.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2021 at 1:49 AM, Yellowtail said:

Looks great!

I think it funny the guys going on about how bad flat concreate rood are. I think they're great.

If they are if build properly.

First problem is that they absorb heat and making cooling cost higher. Concrete building generally are clammy and not very nice to live in.

Other problem is that concrete is a bit like sponge. Concrete it self takes a long time to completely dry out and harden.  Concrete absorbs water, humidity, moisture in the air or ground.

Concrete exterior surfaces should be treated with water proof coating, ie tar or blue seal. Concrete is not water proof. Tiles are also not water proof. There needs to be an underlayment underneath. As well treated annually with a sealant. Or else water will penetrate and do damage. Create MOLD.

If concrete roof collapse you will likely be killed.  So i would avoid building with concrete other than a prison cell or your basic foundations.

Edited by Don Chance