6 months stay every year ad vitam

Hello I need some information. I am French and can stay for up to 6 months in Thailand without being permanent resident. Can I renew this visa every year and stay advitam in Thailand 6 months a year? Thank for your help, regards. Alain 

Just now, Alainpm said:

METV tourist visa

You get 60 days on entry (which can be extended by a further 30 days)

Then you would have to make a border run, to get a further 60 days (+30 days).

In normal times that's no problem to do, now with the covid situation the "border run" is difficult and expensive, so currently not really an option.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Alainpm said:

Your best option is to obtain non o based on retirement. You would then obtain 12 month extension. Buy a reentry permit.

Time your visits that enable you to apply for your next extension. 

Easily done and I would guess many use that plan.

Note it would need have money in Thai bank year round.

Also could look at non O-A that gives you 2 year stay if timed correctly.

Your money remains in home country. Good option for you.

Edited by DrJack54

8 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

The METV is currently suspended and not an option.

METV- Multi-entry tourist visa (Warning: this type of visa is suspended from COVID)

STV et METV - สถานเอกอัครราชทูต ณ กรุงปารีส (thaiembassy.fr)

Although not currently a documented option, there has been a recent report on here (backed up with a copy of the stamps) indicating that an METV might once again be available. Whether it is useful is a different matter. The requirements that must be satisfied each time you want to enter Thailand mean that few would wish to make use of the multiple entry feature. That is especially the case as long as 60-day Covid extensions are easy to get.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Although not currently a documented option, there has been a recent report on here (backed up with a copy of the stamps) indicating that an METV might once again be available. Whether it is useful is a different matter. The requirements that must be satisfied each time you want to enter Thailand mean that few would wish to make use of the multiple entry feature. That is especially the case as long as 60-day Covid extensions are easy to get.

That was from a US Consulate in the USA.

I could find no such disclaimer on that site, but still believe it was issued in error.

The UK, France, China and the US all apply via the E-Visa online site now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/22/2021 at 7:27 AM, Tanoshi said:

The METV is currently suspended and not an option.

METV- Multi-entry tourist visa (Warning: this type of visa is suspended from COVID)

STV et METV - สถานเอกอัครราชทูต ณ กรุงปารีส (thaiembassy.fr)

It's too early for your post. When I scrolled down to it, I was almost blinded.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/22/2021 at 3:55 PM, DrJack54 said:

Your best option is to obtain non o based on retirement. You would then obtain 12 month extension. Buy a reentry permit.

Time your visits that enable you to apply for your next extension. 

Easily done and I would guess many use that plan.

Note it would need have money in Thai bank year round.

Also could look at non O-A that gives you 2 year stay if timed correctly.

Your money remains in home country. Good option for you.

Wow that looks like the best option to start things without blocking 800000 on a Thai account on the first year. It's not before 2023, so i have time to see things come (or change).  Thanks a lot. 

thanks to all for your unvaluable help. I wish i were in Thailand now. Will be there in october at the earliest. Before deciding to sell (or rent year round) my airbnb condos in France some years ahead, I'll start prospecting places and begin with 2 months stays every 8 months,  then 6 months stays or more, depending on many choices/factors that might play. I have a job i like in France, there is no hurry and it's not an escape from a place i don't like. But I love Thailand, life there and the climate. But I need to be sure if i can fit there for the long term. Cheers

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/23/2021 at 11:17 PM, Alainpm said:

thanks to all for your unvaluable help. I wish i were in Thailand now. Will be there in october at the earliest. Before deciding to sell (or rent year round) my airbnb condos in France some years ahead, I'll start prospecting places and begin with 2 months stays every 8 months,  then 6 months stays or more, depending on many choices/factors that might play. I have a job i like in France, there is no hurry and it's not an escape from a place i don't like. But I love Thailand, life there and the climate. But I need to be sure if i can fit there for the long term. Cheers

"Invaluable" i mean, sorry for the mistype

On 4/24/2021 at 4:17 AM, Alainpm said:

I'll start prospecting places and begin with 2 months stays every 8 months, 

Then start with either a TV or VE entry.

Both can be extended for 30 days.

By next year the METV may be available again.