Thailand Lays Out Bold EV Plan, Wants All Electric Cars by 2035

webfact

2 minutes ago, connda said:

These "forward thinking" government official worldwide fail to grasp significant bumps in the road to a world with "all electric vehicles.

Firstly, how will they produce enough affordable electricity to power a world of electric vehicles without using fossil fuels (natural gas, coal, etc)?  Solar?  Wind?  Hydroelectric? Nuclear? The generation capacity of the world will be strained to the breaking point in an attempt to "fuel" all those vehicles via electricity, at least until "fusion power" comes of age and is used for commercial production of electricity, but that is two or three decades away.
Secondly, the price of all electric vehicles and well as the sky-rocketing price of electricity once this all EV plan is enforced (which if electric vehicles are the only vehicles on the road will create extremely high electric demand $$$$$), the average person (those in the world who make wages similar to the average Thai) won't be driving.  Driving becomes the purvey of the rich and wealthy.  And I expect that's the plan.  Take the capabilities to drive and make them unaffordable for the masses.  Read the Agenda 2030 (the push for Electric Vehicles is part and parcel of the plan) and the Global Cities Initiative and that's pretty much the majority of governments are planning for the plebs. Maybe Ox carts will make a come-back.

Of course there will be plenty of jet fuel.  The wealthy will still need to fuel their jets and helicopters to fly-over the riff-raff, scum, unwashed masses, plebs, and hoi-polloi.

Suddenly we are moving closer to a real world that is the stuff of "science fiction" such as Elysium and other dystopian futures.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, doctormann said:

Absolutely!   As an ex nuclear instrumentation design engineer I think that I can confirm that the 'mai bpen rai' Thai mind set would not sit easily with the rigorous safety standards required on a nuclear plant.

However, all these electric cars are not going to pluck their power out of thin air.  It's not just a question of providing enough charging points, it's more fundamental than that.  The power has to be generated somehow and I think that the current infrastructure is going to need a serious upgrade.  It hardly seems to cope now!

Electricity ,how are they going to provide Clean electricity ? Ain't going to happen it's Dirty ,some places Worse than Fossil Fuel.

Well, here in the village we already have the problem that when it's a hot day and everyone turns on their AC, then the BIG fuse before the transformer cuts out... so I guess that every house needs to install solarcells just to charge their EV!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand aims to only sell zero-emission vehicles in the country from 2035 as it works to transform itself from a Southeast Asian hub for the production of conventional autos to one making electric cars.

I hope all the Japanese car giants got the same memo.

7 hours ago, MadMac said:

Let's hope they don't get any crazy ideas that they would need nuclear power then.....imagine Somchai in a Russian plant and he cannot read the buttons ????

Or they build it up north reliant on the Mekong for water cooling.

2 hours ago, Kasset Tak said:

Well, here in the village we already have the problem that when it's a hot day and everyone turns on their AC, then the BIG fuse before the transformer cuts out... so I guess that every house needs to install solarcells just to charge their EV!

Exactly!!!  Great point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

They have rightly come out as against the push for electric in America..  It will take much longer to convert everything.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I can see it now. News from 2035:

Sorry I couldn't come to work yesterday boss.

We had a power cut and I couldn't charge the car.

The dog chewed the charging adaptor.

I left my charging lead in my desk drawer at work.

It rained last night...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:
9 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

No...I think Bloomberg just reported it as the opinion of this government advisor.

Thailand Lays Out Bold EV Plan, Wants All Electric Cars by 2035”

Yeah, but to be fair, can anyone keep up with who's an advisor, or who's a deputy PM?

There must be dozens of both. Then to work out if it's official policy before or after waffle came out of bureaucrat’s mouth could be just as challenging.

In the past - PM ordered it to rain by kissing a toad. What chance do the foreign media have sometimes?

• Haha 1

These adoptions are cyclical. Thailand needs early adopters to gain critical mass. To do that they need to allow the import of EVs without duty. I cry when I see the cost of imports vs the US market. But if you want to foster an early adopter market you need to bring good product to the market.

Most EVs charge at home. Those same early adopters are far more likely to rely on their own solar installations. 

If Thailand wants to make an impact they should focus on the EV motorbike. It will have a larger impact and greater export potential especially with competition from China next door.

9 hours ago, Litlos said:

Elsewhere in the world the big companies are investing in green hydrogen production. A 8GW renewables power station used to produce hydrogen from water is on the books for Western Australia, Saudi looking at 5billion dollar 4GW renewables hydrogen plant. Chevron and Toyota form an alliance for hydrogen cars in US. BP looking at North Sea hydrogen using renewables. So Thailand is jumping on the EV bandwagon.

I suspect Hydrogen will in turn kill off pure electric cars, but both are too expensive now. Hydrogen is typically used to power an electric motor via a fuel cell. But these electric cars have no soul, no character. I want an internal combustion engine powered by Hydrogen.... best of both worlds.

Meanwhile, what are we supposed to do with our existing petrol and diesel engined cars, (some of which are classic collectors items), scrap em?

Furthermore, since all we Farang are allowed to own is a Condo, how are we expected to charge our car from the upper floor of a Condo?

Edited by DaRoadrunner
  • Like 1

Aaaaah...   more eco-friendly Lithium batteries,  watch them burn up in all those thousands of cars involved in accidents!  We can't put them in our checked-in baggage on planes but they'll be okay(?) in a car driven at 120kph by Somchai after he's had half a bottle of Sang Thip and just lost his money playing cards!!!!

I would have thought not the safest option on dangerous Thai roads to get cleaner air.  Perhaps adapting the latest vehicle emission standards used for all new (internal combustion engine) cars manufactured in Europe at the moment would be a good start (for cars).

The Bangkok Public Transport buses seem to be the main offenders. As they're confined to the city and close outskirts, they would never be far from a battery charging station.

Sometimes setting "targets" can be a little too ambitious, and in this case, another "thought bubble." 

Did any of you see the Tesla that was on fire and they had to keep putting out the fire as the battery was burning

and would not stop keeping the fire from restarting.  Yup, electric cars are the new safe way to go. 

Geezer

14 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

If only there were a clean, free, ubiquitous source of energy.....

There Is ,It's called Hydrogen Gas. 

Cheap to make for IC Engines . 

The car manufactures/Fuel companies don't Want that .

First They wanted you to use hydrogen and turn it in Electricity and make EV's

Now they want More ,so they are making  Very Expensive EV's and you got to buy Dirty Electricity, 

and buy replacement Golden batteries.

22 hours ago, Sakeopete said:

Has anyone considered the consequences when the world goes to EV's and fuel demand is low. If I'm not mistake refining a barrel of oil yields about 70 - 80% fuel. Before the invention of the automobiles gasoline was poured into rivers as waste in the USA. If we take away the need for gasoline and diesel how will we dispose of them? Can't dump them into the rivers anymore. If oil companies can't sell 70-80% of the refined product they will go out of business along with oil producers. We still need oil to make just about everything. Can we use plant based oils like palm to replace the petrochemical products from crude oil? Hemp to replace polyester fibers? Maybe but look what happened to virgin forests of Indonesia and Malaysia when the palm oil boom started. Millions of acres burned along with the endangered animals that lived in them. Orangutans fleeing the forest were killed by villagers as they seeked refuge from the flames. Remember the smoke from Indonesia from burning those forest that produced more CO2 in a day than America produces in a year. The EU finally ban palm oil as bio fuel because of it. So if oil refiners stop refining crude oil where will the alternative come from? Corn can make plastics I use them almost daily 3D printing but again when corn was used to make alcohol for gasohol production thousands of Mexicans went hungry and forests were converted to farmland. The Amazon is already in trouble it will likely be wiped out to grow Green Alternatives. Wait and see how much CO2 is release from the worlds forests being burnt to grow alternatives for petrochemicals.

This whole green movement to EV and alternative energy reminds me of when I was a boy and environmentalists convinced the world that paper shopping bags were hazardous and glass milk bottles used too much energy/chemicals to clean. The miracle fix was plastics look how well that turned out now we have the Great Pacific Garbage Patch and micro plastics everywhere.

Greenies should consider the consequences' carefully of what destroying oil businesses will do to the environment. Human greed and need for luxuries like I-phones or computers to post nonsense will not go away. Something will have to replace the oil and it will likely do more harm than the CO2 from burning fuel.

Agreed, the whole 'paper or plastic' thing was a scam created by the plastics industry. Worked very well for them. The fossil fuel conglomerates subvertly embedded themselves into the anti-nuclear debate and now we can't have nuclear anymore because storing waste is somehow far worse than just dumping mega tonnes of carbon into the sky every day.

~100 years ago people were arguing about the welfare of all the horses being sent to the glue factories after cars took over. Personally I care a lot more about horses than big oil conglomerates, which I think will be just fine, they're already transforming themselves into "energy" companies. One thing is for certain, they will continue to find ways to destroy the environment, but they'll just relabel themselves as "green" energy and for a while longer they'll get away with it. And, frankly, in the long run it doesn't matter, civilization on the this planet has maybe another 10~20 good years then it's every man for himself. It really doesn't matter anymore if we continue using fossil fuels or not. We missed that stop 40 years ago.

The main issue with electric car adoptation is infrastructure, and not how the energy is sourced. I live in the north, and I have never seen a single electric charger station except at Central Festival which seems to be more of a novelty because no one is ever parked there. Whilst driving to the south of Thailand last month I saw heaps of charging stations all around BKK and the surrounding provinces. Good start. I will buy an electric car when I'm able to drive it from Chiang Mai to Phuket, not before, AND, when I'm able to charge it in my condo parking lot. Only once this infrastructure is in place, we'll see a rapid increase in wind and solar and other greener forms of energy, FWIW...

Edited by clokwise

On 4/23/2021 at 10:34 AM, ParkerN said:

Nice deflection though, that should distract away from the virus... no?

Yeah, Bloomberg did a piece and interviewed a couple of government advisers, and this was all to defect from the virus!!  Wow, glad you are here to enlighten us as to what is going on.

16 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Furthermore, since all we Farang are allowed to own is a Condo, how are we expected to charge our car from the upper floor of a Condo?

So let's say this does happen and 14 years from (2035) all the cars in Thailand are electric and there is obviously the infrastructure to support that.  Except - of course - they won't have installed charging stations in condo car parks and you'll need to run an extension cord up the stairs to your room.  Yeah, of course.

• Haha 1

On 4/23/2021 at 4:26 AM, Excel said:

Good idea but basically it won't happen by 2035.  Whilst many orld car manufacturers ar developing electric vehicles  with many on sale now, Thailand will lag far behind not only in its EV manufacturing  facilities but also in R & D.  ( Well you  only have to look at the Fortuna to now that is a fact) . Below is the design that they have currently focused on  and it looks ever more likely they will be adopted as the national standard.

dodgem.jpg

Looks good. Is that the age of driver they're expecting?

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Toyota is well ahead of the field with hybrids, with the first mass produced vehicles in 1997.

Vehicle manufacture is Thailands largest employer and Thailand is 11th largest vehicle manufacturer in the world, almost double that of the UK.

A lot to lose.

On 4/23/2021 at 4:22 AM, doctormann said:
On 4/23/2021 at 4:05 AM, MadMac said:

Let's hope they don't get any crazy ideas that they would need nuclear power then.....imagine Somchai in a Russian plant and he cannot read the buttons ????

Absolutely!   As an ex nuclear instrumentation design engineer I think that I can confirm that the 'mai bpen rai' Thai mind set would not sit easily with the rigorous safety standards required on a nuclear plant.

However, all these electric cars are not going to pluck their power out of thin air.  It's not just a question of providing enough charging points, it's more fundamental than that.  The power has to be generated somehow and I think that the current infrastructure is going to need a serious upgrade.  It hardly seems to cope now!

Thailand actually has a small research reactor in Bangkok which has been running since the early 1960s.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2021 at 6:29 AM, Kasset Tak said:

Our house about 1 km from downtown Loei suffered from low voltage.  Forget aircon when it was hot.  My wife got a petition going and they upgraded the service in the neighborhood after a couple or 3 years.  Took about the same amount of time to get our dirt soi concreted. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

So let's say this does happen and 14 years from (2035) all the cars in Thailand are electric and there is obviously the infrastructure to support that.  Except - of course - they won't have installed charging stations in condo car parks and you'll need to run an extension cord up the stairs to your room.  Yeah, of course.

Because no other nation has figured out how condo owners can charge their EVs.