Do you think that it's possible as a foreigner to fully assimilate into Thai culture?

WineOh

Assimilation Into Thai Culture  

242 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Of course you don't understand. You're a nationalist. You consider your culture to be superior. That's why you could never, or would never assimillate. 

when did I ever say that? I am far from a Nationalist, neither am I Thai, or have the ambition to be considered so. I would never, as you put it, assimilate because I have nothing in common with Thai history, culture, attitudes, education, religion, language or world view.  That list is long enough to prove that assimilation is impossible for me and most other westerners. 

• Like 2

Thailand is a prejudiced society, more so than western society.

Look at how the ethnic Indians are treated. Many are 3+ generation, but they are still treated as 2nd class. How about they way they call people who are not from 100% Thai  parent -   ลูกครึ่ง -luk khreung. The description itself is vile.  One may integrate to the point of being tolerated but that all stops the day the person is no longer of use, then the person becomes "farang" again.   Ask a person from Africa if he/he could ever be accepted  by Thai society. However, that same person if immigrating to western country could eventually be accepted as part of the western society.

Thailand is anti foreigner. Look at how the Hill tribe people have been treated despite the families  being born in Thailand. Look at how Thailand treats refugees. This is the  indicator of whether or not foreigners can be accepted as part of the society.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Would have been better if you had joined that thread I started in 2005 in the language section. Learn one word a day! 

Believe it or not, I remember that thread and thought about it at the time!

I think I actually did it for a couple of days!

• Haha 1

fully assimulating would be an impossible task............you'd need things in common.If through work for example you mixed with thais who had lived and worked in the west,spoke your language you'd have much in common,but if you lived in a totally thai city or village it would be difficult to find things in common.

2 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Thank you for that. And when does your version of Webster's splitting hairs over semantics dictionary come out? And how did you know which the questioner actually meant? Resistance is futile. You will all be assimillated. 

It is sad that the people who cry foul in their own country that people don't adept to local society, refuse to do so here.

Pretty pathetic actually

On 4/30/2021 at 5:20 PM, FritsSikkink said:

It is sad that the people who cry foul in their own country that people don't adept to local society, refuse to do so here.

Pretty pathetic actually

That's way more about immigrants that want to live separately from the indigenous population and make the country like the hell hole place they left behind, not farangs that marry locals and live among them. 

• Like 1

On 4/30/2021 at 4:00 PM, EVENKEEL said:

I've assimilated quite nicely, thank you. 

See the source image

Lucky guy. Back home no girl of that age would give him the time of day, but he gets to have fun fun fun with TWO. Not only that, but they are not obese, and look quite attractive.

A LOT of western guys would give a great deal to be in his sandals.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2021 at 11:30 AM, Patong2021 said:

Thailand is a prejudiced society, more so than western society.

Look at how the ethnic Indians are treated. Many are 3+ generation, but they are still treated as 2nd class. How about they way they call people who are not from 100% Thai  parent -   ลูกครึ่ง -luk khreung. The description itself is vile.  One may integrate to the point of being tolerated but that all stops the day the person is no longer of use, then the person becomes "farang" again.   Ask a person from Africa if he/he could ever be accepted  by Thai society. However, that same person if immigrating to western country could eventually be accepted as part of the western society.

Thailand is anti foreigner. Look at how the Hill tribe people have been treated despite the families  being born in Thailand. Look at how Thailand treats refugees. This is the  indicator of whether or not foreigners can be accepted as part of the society.

A little harsh perhaps but mainly true. I would put it down to misplaced Thai arrogance ( an historical trait) and a general ambiance to anyone who is not ethnically Thai.  I would also add that Issan people are often looked down upon by all other Thai's as simple thick farmers. They never stop to think where their rice  and vegetables come from. 

After 18 years. Assimilation is kinda impossible. Just have to try the best you can to fit in. Assimilation works both ways. You can not assimilate without assimilating.  To learn & be taught in kind. Is a very hard concept for any culture. Hence why the Borg failed. I am Borg ????

On 4/23/2021 at 10:06 AM, Pilotman said:

No, further more, I'm not at all sure why anyone would want to fully integrate/assimilate and in effect, reject their own heritage. They are not, or should not be, mutually exclusive. That is why I cannot understand those who go for Thai citizenship. 

I've seen this attitude before from a friend in Bangkok. He's been here something like 30 years working for a multinational, I've been here something like 20. Even after 30 years he only applied for his first one year extension recently and only because of Covid. Yet, he poo poos my citizenship application and, like you, states that he doesn't understand why some one would want that. So I'll explain it, from my perspective. . .

My wife and kids are all British/Thai dual nationals. When we lived in the UK, it was just a natural progression for them to become British at the time, even though ultimately we are unlikely to ever return there. From my point of view, that was an act of securing my family unit. Nothing is more important than securing the family and keeping it together right? (rhet)
Here in Thailand, I analysed all the pros and cons. Bottom line is there are no cons. . . So I don't understand that if someone qualifies for Thai citizenship, why someone WOULDN'T go for it. On the one hand it secures your future legal status. On the other, it's an act of convenience, with one single act you swipe away all the preposterous immigration nonsense, and never have to go there and deal with them again. So you tell me actually, why not? I'm still British, although I have no conecpt of British pop-culture any more, it's been too long. I don't even watch the BBC much any more, except for HIGNFY, this is my weekly treat with a frosty beer. I don't feel I'm abandoning my heritage (for what that's worth).

Is it because you feel you become 'subjugate' to 'someone'? because you can be sure that even as a non-Thai, you already are. Most Thais I know ask me why it took so long to start the process. Indeed, why?

On 4/23/2021 at 1:17 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

In over 20 years of living in Thailand I experienced two farang guys who assimilated.

One of them lived here permanently. He went regular out with other Thai guys to drink and visit Thai brothels. As far as I know he didn't mix much with farangs, only for work.

And the other guy is here part time and part time in Europe. When he is in Thailand then he lives in a Thai area far away from any typical farang area. Sometimes he visits Phuket and as far as I know he goes there only to Phuket town. Not many farangs behave like that.

Personally I am often enough in fresh markets in Bangkok were I very seldom see any other farang. I feel comfortable there and I don't really notice anymore that I am the only farang around. But am I integrated and one of them? No!

I also think it's great for most of us that we are not integrated. Because that means we are not part of the Thai hierarchy. We can do lots of things Thais can't do or wouldn't do. We get away with all those "crazy farang" behavior. I like that. It makes life easy and uncomplicated.

I don't know how similar or dissimilar I am to other white trash in Thailand. I have a handful of farang friends, I could count them on a single hand, that I only see in person maybe once every 2 or 3 years. One of them is posting in this topic ('ello mate!). I have a couple of Thai mates that I know I could rely on in a pinch, I work with one of them. I drink with him but he knows his limit whereas I don't. I speak Thai but I don't use it much, my family speak fluent Ingrish, so meh. . . I live pretty much as I would had I continued living in the UK. I prefer to avoid a$#holes, the majority of whiteys here look like people I'd prefer to avoid.

I also used to have a Japanese mate I lost touch with, also a poster here, that lived in Thailand on annual extensions for decades, even though he's a Thai citizen. Go figure. This is just beyond my comprehension, why someone would make life so difficult for themselves. I think for most that answer 'no', even though they lived here for decades, are probably already fully integrated, but they don't want to be, and try to find excuses, such as "it's not possible" in order to try and paper over their own baseless preconceptions. Get your head around that I guess.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Like 1

On 4/25/2021 at 5:29 PM, spidermike007 said:

Even if we are married into a Thai family, we will always be considered a farang. I asked my wife the other day why she uses that word. She said it is because I am white, because I come from a great country, and she is proud of that. 

My staff call me Khun Led lolly Yellow Lolly. My wife calls me Led Lolly Yellow Lolly. If any contractors come here are refer to me as 'The Farang' even though they know my name and they've been told they can use it, they never work here again.

Even our local Kerry Express drivers call me Khun Led Lolly Yellow Lolly. I have a name and I find it disrespectful if it is not used accordingly. Don't get me wrong, I don't think there is any ill intent or racism in their use of the term, but you have a name, right?

No! If by foreigners the OP means farangs then whilst we might learn Thai language, learn Thai customs, embrace culture and religious beliefs we will always think for ourselves and question things. The last two are something very few Thais could ever do as they have been conditioned otherwise. 

23 minutes ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

My staff call me Khun Led lolly Yellow Lolly. My wife calls me Led Lolly Yellow Lolly. If any contractors come here are refer to me as 'The Farang' even though they know my name and they've been told they can use it, they never work here again.

Even our local Kerry Express drivers call me Khun Led Lolly Yellow Lolly. I have a name and I find it disrespectful if it is not used accordingly. Don't get me wrong, I don't think there is any ill intent or racism in their use of the term, but you have a name, right?

Yep. And though it does not bother me, I do think it means "the outsider", or the "white guy". Like you said, not necessarily with any disrespect intended. 

36 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

No! If by foreigners the OP means farangs then whilst we might learn Thai language, learn Thai customs, embrace culture and religious beliefs we will always think for ourselves and question things. The last two are something very few Thais could ever do as they have been conditioned otherwise. 

I used to think like you, but I had to adjust my general opinion the more young Thais I got to know. Further, last year we saw stuff going on in Bangkok that was unimaginable until it actually happened, even encouraged by their parents, in spite of their so called conditioning. There comes a point at which one must admit to oneself that one's ideas about the way Thais think is just wrong. Over the years, boy did I get it wrong, a LOT.

Thais tend to think all farangs love jesus and go to church. You're no better if you think Thais wonder around in Thai fisherman pants when they go to the office. I once saw amiddle aged farang walk into the Emprorium on Sukhumvit in fisherman pants on the bottom and a smart western style shirt on top. This is harmless and funny. The security guards could barely control themselves. Some people try too hard, some people don't try hard enough. Sometimes Thais will hate you for not trying at all, probably with good reason.

People like me, and others in this topic, are changing Thailand. Our children think differently, question things.  The world moves on, Thailand included.

IMO the simple answer is "No!".

Just to ask the question confirms  my opinion because it reveals the basis of it.

Any society that has within it a racial minority will always, even at a acknowledged level of community acceptance, instinctively identify a distinction which never accept 'assimilation.

That occurs on many levels even down to  when the distinctions are based on aspects which defy distinct racial origins which even regionally within a nation create issues.

So in the question of a caucasian expecting assimilation in Thailand I would say again No.

Over time perhaps various degrees of integration on localized community level can be achieved but in the wider community will remain identified  even amicably as "foreign" which negates the concept of assimilation.

Ask a Thai guy "Ginger or Mary Ann?"

He won't have a clue, though every American of our age will know exactly what you mean.  It works the other way, too. 

If you didn't grow up and go to school in a culture, you'll never really assimilate.  You can get along just fine.  I got along fine in Thailand.  But I'll never fully assimilate.