Expats’ anger and dismay at dual pricing for rapid COVID test in Phuket

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, KarenBravo said:

Residents don't use taxis. They use their own vehicles.

Drinks are NOT 4 x more expensive than the rest of the country. That is just <deleted>.

No, the Thai locals don't dislike us. I have extensive dealings with them.

Maybe they just dislike you.

I heard the humpy bumpy was the "angry" type too   ????

The reason being the cost of  the test for Thai people is covered by the National Health Security Office (NHSO), Ministry of Health.

... I am farrang and pay to social sequrity every month!

Edited by BEngBKK

53 minutes ago, tyga said:

My mrs has been bugging me to go to Phuket for nostalgic reasons having grown up there and studied there. I held out for years (having vowed to myself a long time ago never to go back) but finally relented over Songkran figuring the locals might be a bit more mellow, similar to they were after the tsunami, and there was a window of opportunity to get the trip out the way once and for all. You can't make this up but the very first 'local' I came into contact with ordering me around and telling me where to park because it was in front of her stall but legal (I had just literally waited for a hiso thai family to vacate that space  and not a word said to them of course) I was told farang don't understand when I pointed this out to her and in no time at all I was an <deleted> farang just like her husband. I was told I was not welcome on Phuket (from the horse mouth) and did me a favour because the mrs witnessed the whole event and was more angry than I was. So I really really wish they had put this stupid charge in a week ago and while they are at it, put it up to 100,000 THb so no farang is even a little bit tempted to visit that <deleted>hole.  BTW, it used to be beautiful before they turned half of it into soi Nern Plubwan by the sea. What a disaster!

What part of Phuket was this?  I wouldn't be surprised if it was Patong.  That place will never change (for the better). 

Its not about the 500฿, , it’s the principle! 
Apparently paying taxes every year, which includes an extra (double pricing) foreigner fee for every thing I do, doesn’t qualify for much! 

Not to worry, it’ll all come back to slap you upside your  greedy Thai politician head.

1 minute ago, condobrit001 said:

Who are these "angered and dismayed" expats - is there a list, or is this another example of journalistic invention? The only likely ones upset would be the legions of bar stool jockeys who would spend more than this in half an hours boozing in any case!

I always get a chuckle when any news story says something like "people on Twitter" or "social media backlash"

• Haha 1

Thai are covered by the NHSO, foreigners( tourists) should be covered by TAT. Each group contributes to the government coffers . As for dual pricing, as with national parks etc, doubt if international arrival tourists are mostly even aware of it. 

Wonder if this bt 500 fee is open to exploitation as the " We travel together " scheme was ?

• Like 1

Thailand leaders want to get back to normal the pandemic has not only brought the old along but has officially made it the new norm. 

Nothing has changed they were doing it before and today doing it again they wanted to get back to norm well we got it!????

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mancub said:

Thai are covered by the NHSO, foreigners( tourists) should be covered by TAT. Each group contributes to the government coffers . As for dual pricing, as with national parks etc, doubt if international arrival tourists are mostly even aware of it. 

Wonder if this bt 500 fee is open to exploitation as the " We travel together " scheme was ?

Perhaps the 500 Baht covers a free second opinion?

1 hour ago, digibum said:

Or would you be against your private health insurance plan covering you for COVID because it wasn't stipulated in your plan?  Would you also phone them up and refuse free treatment because they have no right to alter your coverage? 

I don't have a private healthcare plan covering me for anything.

My family already had COVID right at the start (jan 2020), it wasn't any big deal.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, WineOh said:

Tourists don't have their own vehicles tho do they bruv!

And that is what the island is desperate to get back aren't they?

I hope not a single soul returns to spend their hard earned money in that god forsaken place. 

So far, no incorrect statements from me.

What about the BS comment on drink prices and "the locals hate us" whine?

5 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Foreigners with work permit are charged 500b, same as most places with dual pricing.

And I said previously, that Thailand would do well to find a system that allowed foreigners with work permits or long-stay visas (1 year) to have an ID card so they could avoid this fees. 

The rest of what you said was just a rehash of stuff people have been saying since TVF had its first post.  Somehow it hasn't harmed tourism for over 20 years TVF has been around, probably won't hurt it going forward. 

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My family already had COVID right at the start (jan 2020), it wasn't any big deal.

Well, we can all go back to normal then. 

It didn't harm me.  ????

28 minutes ago, high plane drifter said:

Thais will never make it easy for outsiders to live and spend foreign money in their country,

Yeah, it's almost like it's their country or something.  How presumptuous of them. 

BTW, they are simply charging people for a COVID test.  How is that making it harder to live in Thailand (given that this mostly impacts tourists) or spend money (they're actually making it very easy by making it a requirement)? 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Who wants to go to the area which generates the greatest amount of Tourism in Thailand ????

erm.....  did you think about your question ?

Now, that is an argument????. We go to some place because everybody else is going????