Expats’ anger and dismay at dual pricing for rapid COVID test in Phuket

Jonathan Fairfield

11 minutes ago, digibum said:

Nobody is talking about the real victims in all of this. 

The TVF farangs. 

For years they talked about how without tourists, Thailand would slip back into becoming a third-world country.  They threatened to quit coming.  They threatened to leave.  They have posted tens of thousands of posts about how shortsighted Thailand is and how much the lack of their sweet, sweet money would be ruinous to the kingdom. 

Now, with Thailand having had almost a year of 0 new arrivals and most of the Thai economy humming along, all of their forecasts have been ruined. 

Thai Economy humming along ???? are you sure?

How does 10% unemployment help an economy hum along ?

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30389095

Thats approximately 5.6 million people without work.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/711216/thailand-working-age-population/

The Tourism industry which accounts for approximately 20% of Thailands GDP has been devastated - how is that ‘humming along’ ????

For just two Leos a day, you can help these poor victims of COVID.  Won't you help? 

Those who recognise the dictates in charging foreingers 500 B to take a test when its free for Thai’s are pointing out in scores, its not the amount which everyone can readily afford... its the hypocrisy of the message being sent out by Thailand that ‘it needs Tourism to recover’ while at the same time throwing out a somewhat overwhelming large 'Flook-You' to all potential tourists.... 

It's contradictory to the common sense approach Thailand should be taking which is everything not to offend tourists.  This is the point people are making, not about the amount. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

As I remember and read on TVF, tourism in Thailand and Phuket has been declining over a long time

I think you might want to change your news source from old blokes making stuff up or what they heard on a bar stool.

Tourism had been increasing rapidly for years with nearly 40 million in 2019 before covid hit.

Of course if you believed the constant whiners on TVF you would have thought that it was declining. I will go with the official airport arrival numbers which are accepted internationally over what is happening in Leks beerbar.

Interestingly these incessant complainers that are attracted to posting on this forum just make up numbers and reasons why Tourism is "declining" but actually chose to live here.

I think they would be doing everyone a favor by leaving. The Thais wouldn't have to put up with their nonsense, happy expats like myself wouldn't be constantly embarrassed by them and they themselves could find happiness wherever they go.

There is no reason for them to be here. I doubt if a single person would actually cancel a trip to Phuket because of 500 baht. Plenty will claim to though.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

why would this site run this bs all over again.. oh yeah , the money. Maybe time to start going after the agents again, there's obviously some broke expats here that must be paying the 30k bribes than having the prerequisite 800k needed. Just from this reaction alone should be eye opening for the Thais that there are folks here that can't pay their way and perhaps should be relocated back 'ome

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Basically, much ado about nothing.

This happens everywhere. 

Do you see foreign students in the UK or US on forums moaning about it?

No, this is reserved for retired white expats with a entitlement issue. Most have absolutely no interest in assimilation or integration into Thai society, yet they want to be treated the same as a citizen. What an attitude! 

Citizens get preferential treatment in EVERY country. Hey, you can always change your citizenship!

I never complained about paying a ridiculous university fee for my daughter in the UK, and she is a British citizen! 

I never complained about paying 5,000 baht more than an Australian citizen when at Royal Melbourne golf club. 

I never complained at paying 2,000 baht more than a local at Disney World. 

Lots of never complaining..

can we run the commercial sex issue by you again?

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:
3 hours ago, WineOh said:

Who wants to go to Phuket anyway?

Seriously?

Who wants to go to the area which generates the greatest amount of Tourism in Thailand ????

erm.....  did you think about your question ?

It would be interesting to know how many would want to return to rip-off island, wouldn't it.

• Like 2

I’m not angry in the least, I’d have been more surprised if they hadn’t wanted us to pay. Phuket's tourism is dying, desperate to try to rebuild but shortsightedness prevails. They’re clearly not as desperate as the media suggests because if they were they’d be trying to incentivise resident expats instead of discouraging us. And no, it’s not about the 500 baht, and no I won’t go back to my country, and yes I’m a fully paid up member of the PC Brigade.

• Like 1

Who wants to go to the area which generates the greatest amount of Tourism in Thailand ????

It used to be going back 5 years yes but even before this pandemic it was falling off as no work to update anything has taken place .I speak from experience as I have a good friend who sells real estate their he says been on the slid for quite some time.

• Like 1

reminds me of a a lady being interviewed about a popular store in Dublin and was asked if she shopped there ... the reply ... “ no one goes there ... it’s always packed ! “

So the cost of the test is more important to the authorities than the locals earning money. Each tourist would presumably stay at a hotel, buy food and drinks and possibly a excursion, massage etc.

Another nail in the coffin for Phuket tourism.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

I am confused by your post. When I fill the fuel tank of my pickup, buy stuff from 7/11, BigC, Makro, the local beer shops etc, I pay the same price as the Thai people, and also that of ANY foreigner using the same places.

So why should I have to pay more for a covid test on some Thai island well known for its "let's rip off the foreigners" as they have no idea of what we are doing.

As I remember and read on TVF, tourism in Thailand and Phuket has been declining over a long time.

Many of these parasites have been cutting their own throats with corruption for years.

When foreigners have a great time on holiday they tell all their friends. When they have a bad time they tell the world.

Have you tried to enter their the National parks pay more than the Thais

Not talking about the  general cost of living in Thailand which is the same to most if not all people 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, zzzzz said:

agree;

PLUS

why should the government pay for those not Thai?
this is wrong, should have left it at 300 which covers the cost of the test, no reason to make a profit  off of the test, which benefits everyone

wow, again no one forces u to use the overpriced taxi/tuk tuks
and drink prices are just about the same as anywhere in Thailand
most places offer 60 baht beer happy hour which runs all day

I love all the Phuket haters on here  ????

That the best you can do.  A bit weak kneed.  Can you send me $10,000?

The authorities seem to be using the excuse that the NHSO does not have enough funds to cover foreigners.

Has anyone done a budget to calculate the estimated cost? What is the likely ratio of Thai visitors to foreign visitors? Probably less than 100:1. So foreigners might contribute up to 1% of the NHSO budget for the rapid tests.

So the lack of funding doesn't bear up to any rational scrutiny. I wish the authorities would just give the real reason for their decision rather than just white-washing it.

• Like 2

What really angers me is that before it was 300 THB for all and then suddenly 500 THB for foreigners. This engrained thinking that foreigners are always rich and the milking cows will sooner or later bite them back. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, petermik said:

I visited Phuket for the first time 3 years ago....enough said,first and last time.....covid charge or not....????

Same,same for me but that was 25- 30 years ago..Never been back.

4 hours ago, petedk said:

Yes, I doubt many people are travelling to Phuket nowadays anyway and how many of those would actually be foreigners?

How do you class who is a foreigner. Anyone who isn't of Thai national is a foreigner.

I agree with you and would have happily paid the 300 Baht.

On the other hand I pay social security. Shouldn't that cover the cost?

The other big NO NO was the fact that the price increased from 300 Baht to 500 Baht when it was foreigners only that had to pay. That is pure GREED and nothing else.

Bye bye

Perhaps if countries like the USA and UK, the only two I looked at, stopped charging Thais ridiculous fees for studying there, Thailand might not charge foreigners for some things. 

My daughter pays 13,000 pounds a year, whiles residents pay nothing. 

In the US, foreign students pay about $15,000 a year more than locals. 

Foreign students in Thailand pay the same as locals.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Camillof said:

No, this doesn't happen everywhere. Unless you are missing the point, as it appears also from the rest of your comment, and as is often the case with those who side up with the Thai authorities in this kind of matters.

PLease quote where I am missing the point.

I'm in the Thai social security system and did not pay. My son's who are Thai one paid as he is not in the system and the other one was covered but decided for a private hospital.

And yes, I give up un Phuket 25 years ago it was nice early 80-ties.

• Like 1

I agree with you and would have happily paid the 300 Baht.

On the other hand I pay social security. Shouldn't that cover the cost?

The other big NO NO was the fact that the price increased from 300 Baht to 500 Baht when it was foreigners only that had to pay. That is pure GREED and nothing else.

Have faced the duel pricing on occasion. Even with my poor Thai language skills I can say, “sorry but I have lived in Thailand for 10 years and can only pay the same price as other residents” (Kon Thai).

25 minutes ago, CLW said:

What really angers me is that before it was 300 THB for all and then suddenly 500 THB for foreigners. This engrained thinking that foreigners are always rich and the milking cows will sooner or later bite them back. 

Maybe they think foreigners are rich when a Thai retiree to the USA has to invest $500,000 in order to get a visa. US retirees to Thailand are asked to invest NOTHING and pay about $50 for a year's visa. There should be some kind of reciprocation. 

Edited by Neeranam
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chiang Mai Bill said:

I see no problem in giving the vaccine and tests free to one's own people -- and 'foreigners' having to pay!

And B500 isn't much -- not many beers!  Stop moaning!

It's more about being fair towards people who live here and see their future here. So they hope to be treated equally. 

I understand to charge tourists as they never paid taxes or any other things here. But people who work here and can prove to have worked here for many years, should at least get the same treatment. 

If it's about money, it'd be hypocrite as the average foreigner makes more with literally the same job as a Thai, eg. teachers. But for most people this is just about fairness. 

rapid antigen test (RAT), or rapid test, is a rapid diagnostic test suitable for point-of-care testing that directly detects the presence or absence of an antigen. It is commonly used for the detection of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. Rapid tests are a type of lateral flow tests that detect protein, distinguishing it from other medical tests that detect antibodies (antibody tests) or nucleic acid (nucleic acid tests), of either laboratory or point-of-care types. Rapid tests generally give a result in 5 to 30 minutes, require minimal training or infrastructure, and have significant cost advantages

-

afterwards checked how many vaccines had been handed out apparently 666,000 first dose population 90 million ? 0.8% nation  Those fully vaccinated 94,385 0.1% people with the later being the rich ! These statistics not good enough especially when cases are on the rise in Thailand and that’s enough to deter people from wanting to travel to Thailand ... other governments around the world have worked tirelessly with their national to make sure they are protected,yet again Thailand failing its people and those who live their and who pay taxes !