Expats’ anger and dismay at dual pricing for rapid COVID test in Phuket

Jonathan Fairfield

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

not even all of their front line staff have been fully vaccinated but all the parasitic un-elected senators have been, along with the government.

un-elected senators and the people of Phuket because Phuket thinks it is special and wants over-allocated vaccine so it can vaccinate everyone on the island so they can get tourism back. 

Phuket rolled the dice and tied the vast majority of its economy to tourism and did very well, with an average income considerably more than the rest of Thailand, but now wants bailed out at the expense of the rest of the nation. 

• Like 1

Most of you have missed the point.   Get back to basics.  It's the leadership of Thailand from the top down who condone the unfair too tier pricing from medical, to beach chairs to just about all points of tourism including national parks and other public Thai activities.  Long term xpats as well as tourists bring money into Thailand.  We all pay taxes here and for most of us long stay foreigners, through our contributions we support many many Thai nationals from siblings to young children to grandpa and grandma up in the provential city's and compounds.  Sure things are still cheaper here than in most of our home country's.  That's NOT the point.  Now more covid pacific.   Thailand and any other country.  If you want to get this under control you focus on everyone.... Get it, everyone.

• Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, digibum said:

How many people do you think would have gone to Phuket for a free covid test?  Seriously? 

Half the people on here would be posting that Phuket is paying for the covid tests because they're so desperate and then listing all of the reasons they'll never go to Phuket. 

Thailand is def a damned if they do, damned if they don't place.  So many farangs that think the country should be sprinkling rose petals at their feet only for them to complain about all of the damn rose petals making the sidewalks too slick. 

It called promotion. Certainly  offering free testing would not have reduced numbers and would I think, have been a good gimmick. Great publicity. A talking point. A smart act of self interested generosity that would have paid dividends...And as for the views of 'half the people on this forum'..I simply could not care less. Perhaps you do.

Edited by The Hammer2021
  • Thanks 1

There no such thing as a free lunch.

Thais pay for it trough taxes collected in their country. And foreigners who do not pay taxes, pay for it from their pocket. But if you are a foreigner and pay taxes in Thailand you should not have to pay for it.

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, silverman4969 said:

Most of you have missed the point.   Get back to basics.  It's the leadership of Thailand from the top down who condone the unfair too tier pricing from medical, to beach chairs to just about all points of tourism including national parks and other public Thai activities.  Long term xpats as well as tourists bring money into Thailand.  We all pay taxes here and for most of us long stay foreigners, through our contributions we support many many Thai nationals from siblings to young children to grandpa and grandma up in the provential city's and compounds.  Sure things are still cheaper here than in most of our home country's.  That's NOT the point.  Now more covid pacific.   Thailand and any other country.  If you want to get this under control you focus on everyone.... Get it, everyone.

Yes two tier pricing is not really an issue but pandemic control is and TTP is simply not appropriate.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, digibum said:

un-elected senators and the people of Phuket because Phuket thinks it is special and wants over-allocated vaccine so it can vaccinate everyone on the island so they can get tourism back. 

Phuket rolled the dice and tied the vast majority of its economy to tourism and did very well, with an average income considerably more than the rest of Thailand, but now wants bailed out at the expense of the rest of the nation. 

In countries  that can afford it bail outs, loans, subsidies, rescue packages were  organised ultimately to be paid for by all..Phuket and all regions should be getting more help.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, WineOh said:

Yes. 

And i'm baffled at anyone who wants to visit an island where the taxi mafia rips you off or wants to harm you, the drinks are 4 x as expensive as the rest of the country and the locals hate you.

what is the point in going there.

But stats don't lie. Phuket "generates the most tourism." Don't you want to be a tourist in the place where there are the most tourists?? Isn't that more fun? When I drive, I like to be on the busiest road. And at the supermarket, I always join the longest queue. Who wants to be an unfashionable loser in a quiet, uncool queue?? Bor-ing.

Ah, dual pricing.  40 some years ago I was at Sanam Luang weekend market in BKK, just browsing.  Watched a woman buy some oranges and listened to the price.  Then the seller in broken English offered some to me for maybe 50% higher.  I replied in Thai and asked why the person before got them for xx Baht a kilo.  Blew her mind.  I loved doing that.  I learned to be cheap and bargain like crazy.  A buddy of mine used to do the same getting a taxi in BKK.  He could save 5 Baht over the going rate for Thais because he was charming and spoke broken Thai, or maybe it was just a slow time of day.  Drivers must not have been busy or wanted to observe this curious human specimen. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, irishman25 said:

why the up-ore? the expats always pay More for everything nothing changes  

Differential prices, based on many types of criterion, is common around the world. And as I said, no foreigner is forced to visit or reside in Thailand. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

It's your loss...the beaches and water are clean (maybe like 40 years ago) and you almost have the whole island to yourself. And that $15 testing fee...you'd make that back 5-10 times over on your first nite's hotel stay as the prices are so cheap. I've been here for two months and am having a great time...but I understand, you have your principles to stand on and you've drawn the line here and put your foot down. ????????????????

It's not about the price... and it's not my loss, plenty of other welcoming provinces to visit.

Keep scam city for themselves.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

I'm sure they already have.........

I'm sure you're correct, they forgot me in a nano second, but the other three families that were also traveling down there and were going to holiday together also canceled.

That was 22 people in total for 8 days.

But hey they don't need us you're quite correct.

The Thai government just does a poor job at spinning things. They could have easily said that the Thai National health insurance will cover it. If you are not covered, you need to pay yourself. Instead they always make it sound like Thais vs foreigners.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, hioctane said:

The Thai government just does a poor job at spinning things. They could have easily said that the Thai National health insurance will cover it. If you are not covered, you need to pay yourself. Instead they always make it sound like Thais vs foreigners.

I think a lot is lost in translation by the media.

8 hours ago, digibum said:

How many people do you think would have gone to Phuket for a free covid test?  Seriously? 

Half the people on here would be posting that Phuket is paying for the covid tests because they're so desperate and then listing all of the reasons they'll never go to Phuket. 

Thailand is def a damned if they do, damned if they don't place.  So many farangs that think the country should be sprinkling rose petals at their feet only for them to complain about all of the damn rose petals making the sidewalks too slick. 

And another one who thinks it is only about the money.  Many migrants with no money will have to pay as well just to travel for work.  It is the principle of the entire issue.  Yes what's good for the goose is good for the gander.  Treating g everyone equal during a pandemic trying to reach a location is proper. But then you think those of us railing about the inequity thinks it is about having to spend 500 thb. Nothing further from the truth. Take of your rose colored glasses and she it from a migrant workers perspective.  Sorry you don't think it is also about them when folks post.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluejets said:

I've heard "cheap charlies" will do anything to save money.

At a time like this, pay up and shut up, everyone is sick of your whinging.

Ah, another bitter person who dislikes when true issues are brought up that embarrases him.  Again it is the principle of tge issue, it has nothing to do with the money.  Do you think only foreigners that travel can only be expats. Think again and think of the migrants that would have to pay this fee as well upon entering for work or to visit family. Many of them are poorer than the Thais.

11 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I'd say the 50-75 percent off hotel rates and the clean empty beaches are incentive enough for most people but I can see how paying B500 for a virus test while saving B5000 baht on a hotel room would rub some people the wrong way.

Imagine a shop of which you are a good customer has a sale ,but decides to charge you as an ethnic minority an entrance fee in a discriminatory practice. Feel rubbed up the wrong way now....?

12 hours ago, digibum said:

Quarantine upon entering the country is required by the authorities yet you have to pay for that.  Before you enter Thailand you have to get a COVID test and you have to pay for that. 

Or are you suggesting that anything the government requires should be paid for by the government?  Should they reimburse you for the cost of obtaining a visa too?  Maybe reimburse your BTS fare?  LOL. 

Don't get me wrong.  Not arguing for any sort of dual pricing.  It's just that your argument doesn't make any sense.  If the government requires you to do something, you're saying that they should pay for it? 

Was there a time in the past when you felt expats in Thailand had rights?  When was that? 

Sorry, but I can't help but laugh when people act like before THIS incident, the Thai government was some utopian democracy where every resident was treated with dignity and respect. 

It just sounds so melodramatic to complain about not having ANY rights, but not then leaving to a place where you feel you have rights.  Seriously, if expats actually had NO rights, I would leave.  Who would stay in a country where they have no rights? 

I mean, this is different than wanting things to be different.  I can hope and advocate for and express my opinion that immigration should do away with 90-day reporting.  But I still feel I have rights.  I simply disagree with those in power and they disagree with me.  Hopefully, over time, they can be convinced. 

But if you have no rights, there's no hope. 

Entering a country is a little different from going to a different county within a country...or do you disagree with that. And yes, it was made quite clear to me 26 years ago that as an expat when I was in a group meeting at Nongkhai immigration. It was they who wanted to start meetings to hear expat's concerns and it all finished on the second meeting where they lectured us on what rights we did and didn't have.

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Ah, another bitter person who dislikes when true issues are brought up that embarrases him.  Again it is the principle of tge issue, it has nothing to do with the money.  Do you think only foreigners that travel can only be expats. Think again and think of the migrants that would have to pay this fee as well upon entering for work or to visit family. Many of them are poorer than the Thais.

Thanks for my morning laugh, farang moaners on this thread protesting on behalf of migrant workers...........rrrrrrrrrrrrright ????????????????????????????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nchuckle said:

Imagine a shop of which you are a good customer has a sale ,but decides to charge you as an ethnic minority an entrance fee in a discriminatory practice. Feel rubbed up the wrong way now....?

If everything in the shop is 25-50% off, I'd have no problem with it.