Dirty farang? Sadly it's true.

Speedhump

Walking from 2nd road to TukCom in Pattaya the other day, I noticed maybe 90% of the food vendors near or on sidewalk did not have masks on. They would be prime candidates for catching and spreading the virus, you'd think. Most of the pedestrians did wear masks. I went up to a cop and asked him to go check out the maskless vendors and perhaps even tell them to put on masks. I didn't want to observe what he did, if anything. Just went on my way. Enough depressing responses without adding to the burden in my mind.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Addressed separately - Do you think ‘many’ Thai’s hate farang?

IMO - many Thai’s are as equally indifferent to foreigners as they are out other Thai’s outside of their circle of influence. 

There maybe some ‘racist’ Thai’s who hate foreigners, but IMO, these are very few and far between. 

Not wearing a mask properly may contribute towards the dislike of those who dislike foreigners (farang) but for those who are indifferent they may have an equal opinion to those of us foreigners who see others breaking a rule... not hate, but a curiosity of why they won’t follow simple guidelines. 

Thanks for the reply. It's not my experience that  many Thais hate me. Far from it. I was just quoting the line that is written so often here and reinforced by other comments. And of course many isn't all or even most. So I don't get concerned by the idea. But if it were Thais in the UK determined to break the rules due to sheer bloodymindedness I know how I would feel. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, internationalism said:

a few days ago lady walking against me lowered her mask to cough at me.

she was young and looked healthy and tidy. Just stupid and rude

That's awful. Looking healthy doesn't mean that much when you consider most Covid cases are asymptomatic or mild. 

1 minute ago, edwardandtubs said:

The OP is clearly a self-hating farang with, as has been pointed out, observer bias. You have absolutely no business going up to people "calling them out" on mask wearing. By speaking to them you're spreading your germs far more than they are just keeping themselves to themselves. 

Remember, covid-19 spreads through close contact with an infected individual for 15 minutes or more. There's no evidence anyone has caught it in Thailand just by walking past somebody in an outdoor setting.

You're exagerrating!

Of course prolonged contact is high risk but that doesn't mean shorter contact is low risk.

Also yes of course being outdoors is lower risk but that doesn't follow that it's impossible to become infected outdoors with other risk factors (close contact, prolonged, no masks, poorly fitted masks, etc.). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, expatjustice said:

What if it's 15 minutes and 1 second (901 seconds total)? Is there a grace period? Or is it exactly 15 minutes (900 minutes)?? ????

His statement was just wrong. He acts like he has the definitive answer and he doesn't. It's all a matter of level of RISKS. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Your points are valid - but is there any confirmation bias ???....  have you very counted how many Thai’s are not wearing helmets compared to Westerners when the ride by?

You may think this is not related, but it may highlight how you are looking to ‘single out’ foreigners.

For example: In the outdoor market near me, ALL the people I see not wearing masks are Thai. But that doesn’t tell the whole story because there are no foreigners there (its a very local wet market). 

Question: Were those incorrectly wearing a mask indoors or outdoors ??? if Indoors, there’s no excuse. 

Usually, the parking lot etc I will take off my mask, but always have it coverage my mouth and nose when in an indoor area (when not eating or drinking).

Market Village is a covered mall. I observed for several hours and my long-term findings were as I said. No bias possible in the evidence of eyes? 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

His statement was just wrong. He acts like he has the definitive answer and he doesn't. It's all a matter of level of RISKS. 

I know, I was just sort of "trolling" him back...

The 15 minutes thingy makes no sense. It mostly depend on whether you inhale an infected person's respiratory droplets. It may happen within 5 seconds, 5 minutes, 15 minutes, 5 hours or maybe never happens.... 

Point is, don't think you are safe is your exposure is less than 15 minutes. Science doesnt work that way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, expatjustice said:

What if it's 15 minutes and 1 second (901 seconds total)? Is there a grace period? Or is it exactly 15 minutes (900 minutes)?? ????

I'm just following what Chris Whitty the UK's chief medical officer said. I think you'll find the same advice from other sources like the WHO. Of course it's general guidelines not an exact period of time. The key point is though it's highly unlikely you're going to catch covid-19 just because someone you pass in the street has his mask below his nose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edwardandtubs said:

I'm just following what Chris Whitty the UK's chief medical officer said. I think you'll find the same advice from other sources like the WHO. Of course it's general guidelines not an exact period of time. The key point is though it's highly unlikely you're going to catch covid-19 just because someone you pass in the street has his mask below his nose.

Correct, but indoors it is a completely different thing though!

Indoors the risk skyrockets. 

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

but is there any confirmation bias ???

absoblerdylootly by the sound of  it as I was there also today and noted  many Thais at half  mast, but  didn't  feel the need to confront anyone, best thing about Market is now they don't have the stupid entry exit  cards due to covid  way easier.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, gunderhill said:

Oh really  well I too was  at Market  village  this  morning (FRIDAY 10-30 am) and by far the majority of people there are Thai and I to saw  many with mouths  covered and not  noses, ALL were Thais....  some even with the mask  off and they weren't eating.

I of course didn't go up to any of them and  say anything as I'm not that crass.

Later I went down to Bluport but  not  many in there.

'Oh really' . ????

Strange because my wife was walking with me and she also saw the same as I did. A pity you and I didn't walk together. I deliberately observed everyone that I saw, I doubt you had decided to make a survey, I guess you're just relying on your memory while making this comment now? 

I've certainly upset some shirty farangs here. ????????????

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

You need to get over yourself "pal". You think you're the commander in chief of farangs in Thailand? You have absolutely no right to be disturbing other people and spreading your germs.

I just came back from a Bangkok market where lots of Thais were not wearing masks. Let the relevant authorities worry about it rather than marching around like some ridiculous little Napoleon.

I have the right to stop idiots spreading a bad reputation of farang. Oh yes I do. And talking while wearing a mask spreads the virus worse than what? As I said, get over yourself. Loving the gammony criticisms here..... 

• Confused 8
  • Sad 1