COVID vaccination at Private Hospitals

Sheryl

3 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

Yes I don't understand why Thailand has not been faster at vaccinations.  

Because the big headed no nothing person(s) responsible didn't want to enter a bidding war with richer countries.

They waited in the misguided belief that the price would drop and basically missed the boat.

Now to save face they will purchase questionable Russian and Chinese vaccines probably at the same price they would have originally paid.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sheryl said:

A very bad decision was made at the outset on this and now the country is paying the price.

Every government has the right to make the mistakes they feel appropriate at the time. Unless you are in full possession of the facts unsubstantiated comment is not helpful.

Cambodia  started the rollout with a donation of 600K from China, at the time the majority view on here would have been that was a "very bad decision", until AZ went belly up.

Thailand is between a rock and a hard place, too big to be small, and too small to be big.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Every government has the right to make the mistakes they feel appropriate at the time. Unless you are in full possession of the facts unsubstantiated comment is not helpful.

Cambodia  started the rollout with a donation of 600K from China, at the time the majority view on here would have been that was a "very bad decision", until AZ went belly up.

Thailand is between a rock and a hard place, too big to be small, and too small to be big.

"Every government has the right to make the mistakes they feel appropriate at the time."  Too funny!  I would copyright that immediately if not sooner before somebody grabs it and makes a fortune printing it on t-shirts.  

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

It shocks me too, considering the outstanding way they addressed the pandemic up until this year, making Thailand one of the safest countries in the world.  

This rollout fiasco is UNFORGEABLE and could have been avoided! 

I agree but since no one responsible for this fiasco is likely to be replaced or held responsible all we can do is look forward. Since I am unwittingly stuck here for now my focus is on when and if quality vaccines arrive in Thailand. The US is reaching critical mass as far as vaccination so hopefully they can send some to Thailand. The problem will be the pride of Thai officials which stands before all reason. There needs to be a face saving way for them to accept these vaccines. I wish it weren't so but it is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

"Until AZ went belly up"? Not sure what that means.

3 hours ago, wasabi said:

I agree but since no one responsible for this fiasco is likely to be replaced or held responsible all we can do is look forward. Since I am unwittingly stuck here for now my focus is on when and if quality vaccines arrive in Thailand. The US is reaching critical mass as far as vaccination so hopefully they can send some to Thailand. The problem will be the pride of Thai officials which stands before all reason. There needs to be a face saving way for them to accept these vaccines. I wish it weren't so but it is.

I have a feeling things will begin to rapidly improve once the roll out actually begins by mid-year though many knowledgeable people are saying us expats may be waiting until end of year to actually become vaccinated.  That's a little depressing considering most of my friends back in the States have already received their first shots and most will be fully vaccinated by May.

I things will vastly improve onc private hospitals begin to procure and administers shots, and I feel confident that will happen by June so maybe we will be able to vaccinated a lot earlier than end of year.

Why politicians always seem to jam up the works with a bunch of counterproductive nonsense is universal around the world, and just part of their job description, I guess LOL!  One thing I've noticed though, about how Thai authorities have been handling all of this since it began over a year ago is that they may make a few false starts but ultimately do the right thing, so that's something to hope for.

Of course you also need to consider that being here in Thailand even without the vaccine is still much safer then you could be practically anywhere else in the world right now, even with all the hysteria caused by the recent wave of new infections here.

You have to admit that Thailand has done a pretty good job when you view COVID cases per million of population which really puts things into much better perspective.  I have to say I'm envious of Vietnam's numbers, where I was on the verge of moving right before the pandemic hit last year!

1853737225_snapshot_2021-04-26at2_50_15PM.jpg.45b0eb6dbef5d95f4a5ce8a8bfec9e14.jpg

Also, looking at these maps showing that Thailand is still one of the few places in the world that the US CDC considers as a Level 1 (safest) country is comforting:

1400075899_snapshot_2021-04-24at9_43_31PM.jpg.7ab769b4c42333525cbe504222fc35f6.jpg

128741182_snapshot_2021-04-24at10_12_32PM.jpg.dd898a79292a8fa6924de1f14fc1aa91.jpg

Edited by WaveHunter

19 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Indeed. Unfortunately once the decision is made to actually get serious about vaccination (and it seems like it finally has been), there is a very long time lag between that and getting the population immunized.

A very bad decision was made at the outset on this and now the country is paying the price. Cambodia, meanwhile, has vaccinate pretty much the whole adult population of Phnom Penh (first dose at least) and about 20% of its total adult population.

yes, the logistics for mass vax are staggering. I'm glad Cambodia has started earlier but may be too little too late for a country whose medical infrastructure is not the most robust, especially since outbreaks are occurring as I write..

4 hours ago, samtam said:

"Until AZ went belly up"? Not sure what that means.

Thailand ordered 26 million doses from AZ when they made the agreement last October. Deliveries were supposed to start in February but so far I think they have only had just over 100 thousand of the 26  million. Following the EU problems India also cut back on exports and I believe what AZ Thailand has received came from South Korea. Local production of AZ has always been scheduled for June.

That is on top of the other major problem that AZ run into, all in all AZ became a bit of a fiasco outside the UK.

Thailand plans to receive the first batch of AstraZeneca vaccines within the next couple of weeks, but the mass immunisation campaign might be put on hold due to possible restrictions on exports from the European Union.

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/thailands-immunisation-plan-might-be-delayed-eu-threatens-ban-on-vaccine-exports

What has Thailand said?

"Though the quality of AstraZeneca is good, some countries have asked for a delay," Piyasakol Sakolsatayadorn, an adviser for the country's Covid-19 vaccine committee, told reporters at a news conference.

"We will delay [as well]."

However, Thai public health ministry officials clarified that the batch of AstraZeneca vaccines is different from those distributed in Europe, adding that blood clot problems had not been commonly detected amongst Asians.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-56369550

2 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

yes, the logistics for mass vax are staggering. I'm glad Cambodia has started earlier but may be too little too late for a country whose medical infrastructure is not the most robust, especially since outbreaks are occurring as I write..

The outbreak in Cambodia is at least as bad as in Thaiand when the different population size is factored in and mortality rate us higher (as one would expect given the very weak medical system).

Big problem for Cambodia in terms of vaccine is that they are using Sinovac except for people over 60. So no impact until 2 weeks after people have had 2nd dose and even then just 50% effectiveness - though should be greater with regard to preventing sever illness & death.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The outbreak in Cambodia is at least as bad as in Thaiand when the different population size is factored in and mortality rate us higher (as one would expect given the very weak medical system).

Big problem for Cambodia in terms of vaccine is that they are using Sinovac except for people over 60. So no impact until 2 weeks after people have had 2nd dose and even then just 50% effectiveness - though should be greater with regard to preventing sever illness & death.

Thailand /Cambodia/Vietnam Stats

Sorted by Cases per 1m Population

1761473486_snapshot_2021-04-26at6_21_59PM.jpg.28791d1e91f806668cfaca655a8ff401.jpg

Source

Edited by WaveHunter
https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1214789-covid-vaccination-at-private-hospitals/page/2/?tab=comments#

8 hours ago, sandyf said:

Frank Herbert nailed it in his book, The Dosadi Experiment.

Abridged version:

"The military mentality is a bandit and raider mentality. All military represents a form of organized banditry where conventional mores do not prevail, rationalizing rape, murder, looting and other forms of theft as part of warfare. Denied an outside target, this mentality always turns against its own civilian population, using identical rationalizations".

IMO Prayut etc. are making sure they are protected, the rest of the population will just have to take its chances.

Perhaps you missed the broadcast where Prayut was vaccinated against COVID on national television.

Certainly Herbert's observation is playing out in its entirety in Myanmar.

• Like 1

In recent days, a government spokesman said publicly that farangs should become eligible for the government's vaccine program sometime in June or thereafter. That would mean the Thai produced AstraZeneca vaccine. No details yet on the particulars of that in terms of priority groups, etc.

Separate from that, I was told privately by a government official that they're working on an English language mobile phone app aimed at foreigners, presumably as part of getting them registered into the government's vaccine program. App not available yet, but said to be coming soon.

I'm presuming, but don't know I've seen it confirmed anywhere exactly, that the Pfizer vaccine doses the government is trying to negotiate for, if that is finalized, are likely to end up in the private hospital distribution channel, apart from who knows where else.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

14 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Frank Herbert nailed it in his book, The Dosadi Experiment.

Abridged version:

"The military mentality is a bandit and raider mentality. All military represents a form of organized banditry where conventional mores do not prevail, rationalizing rape, murder, looting and other forms of theft as part of warfare. Denied an outside target, this mentality always turns against its own civilian population, using identical rationalizations".

IMO Prayut etc. are making sure they are protected, the rest of the population will just have to take its chances.

Perhaps you missed the broadcast where Prayut was vaccinated against COVID on national television.

Certainly Herbert's observation is playing out in its entirety in Myanmar.

I came to live in Thailand not long after the 2006 coup fully aware of the volatility in Thai politics.

Anyone who didn't do the homework has only themselves to blame and has no grounds for complaint.

It is ironic that people want freedom of choice and then object to the choices made, at the end of the day all of us temporary residents have a choice.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2021 at 3:51 PM, from the home of CC said:

yes, my wife's family back in the village have their names in though just a paper exercise so far. I believe that big increases in death rates maybe the only impetus in getting their act together..

May be the case where you are. Around here the village head is giving a link to the more vulnerable that is to a registration page on the local government website, or they are told they can phone local government.

Point to note, this registration asks for blood group, not sure if same on other apps being mentioned. Not something I have used in a long time and took a bit of digging.

14 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'm presuming, but don't know I've seen it confirmed anywhere exactly, that the Pfizer vaccine doses the government is trying to negotiate for, if that is finalized, are likely to end up in the private hospital distribution channel, apart from who knows where else.

The distribution problems with Pfizer will make availability quite limited. I doubt any of the government hospitals will get funding for the storage facilities required so unless they already have the low temp capacity it will be a no go.

Private hospitals are better placed to make that investment.

17 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Slightly off topic, but only a little.  Many people, probably many of us whom have not been tested could well be Asymptomatic.  When the vaccines become available do you know if you will be tested for covid prior to having the vaccination ? This leads to my main question :- Are then any downsides to having the vaccination, whilst unknowingly having covid as you are asymptomatic ?

18 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

In recent days, a government spokesman said publicly that farangs should become eligible for the government's vaccine program sometime in June or thereafter. That would mean the Thai produced AstraZeneca vaccine. No details yet on the particulars of that in terms of priority groups, etc.

Separate from that, I was told privately by a government official that they're working on an English language mobile phone app aimed at foreigners, presumably as part of getting them registered into the government's vaccine program. App not available yet, but said to be coming soon.

The big question in my mind regarding WHEN Farangs will receive vaccinations is what exactly is meant by the term "become eligible"?

"Becoming eligible" and actually receiving the vaccine are really two different things entirely.  A number of knowledgeable people are claiming it might not be until the end of the year or even later that ALL people desiring to be vaccinated will be.

I believe this is probably true...unless private hospitals are allowed to procure and dispense the vaccines to those willing and able to pay.

Edited by WaveHunter

UPDATE!

I had previously posted an extract from an email from the below mentioned hospital. I complained it was confusing, and received this in clarification. Some hope on the horizon maybe! I have to say, their admin is impressive!

/Quote

Greetings from Bumrungrad International Hospital.

Referring to your message, we apologize if you feel that way. Please note that in order to give each and everyone an equal chance of getting vaccinated, foreign and locals alike, Bumrungrad has made sure that the vaccine roll out will be a smooth process for everyone therefore; we will be informing you once vaccines have been procured by the hospital. In the meantime, please visit the links (media platforms) we have provided you on the earlier email for vaccine update.

As of now, the government, through the assistance of the Ministry of Public Health, has begun administering COVID-19 vaccinations to those first in line, which include medical professionals and frontline healthcare personnel (both in the private and public sectors), those with chronic medical conditions, and those over 60 years of age. The government plans to gradually provide COVID-19 vaccinations to the general public according to the number of vaccines that are supplied. 

Bumrungrad has received immense interest regarding the COVID-19 vaccine. Out of concern for you and your family during this pandemic, please know that we have already completed the process of ordering Thai FDA approved COVID-19 vaccines, having followed government regulations and procedures. Additionally, we have been coordinating with other private hospitals in obtaining more vaccines. 

We will inform you when we have received the vaccines and are ready to provide the vaccination service.

Thank you for your trust in Bumrungrad International Hospital.  

We are constantly striving to provide excellent service, to support our aim and continuous improvement, please let us know your satisfaction at http://email_bumrungrad.questionform.com/public/external 

Best Regards

/End quote

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, tgw said:

I found this thread because I wanted to ask where I can get Moderna or Pfizer... 555

Right now, nowhere.

but possibly at a private hospital in future.

Even the hospitals themselves don't know at this point which brands they will be able to get or when they will arrive.

30 minutes ago, bradiston said:

UPDATE!

I had previously posted an extract from an email from the below mentioned hospital. I complained it was confusing, and received this in clarification. Some hope on the horizon maybe! I have to say, their admin is impressive!

/Quote

Referring to your message, we apologize if you feel that way. Please note that in order to give each and everyone an equal chance of getting vaccinated, foreign and locals alike, Bumrungrad has made sure that the vaccine roll out will be a smooth process for everyone therefore; we will be informing you once vaccines have been procured by the hospital. In the meantime, please visit the links (media platforms) we have provided you on the earlier email for vaccine update.

As of now, the government, through the assistance of the Ministry of Public Health, has begun administering COVID-19 vaccinations to those first in line, which include medical professionals and frontline healthcare personnel (both in the private and public sectors), those with chronic medical conditions, and those over 60 years of age. The government plans to gradually provide COVID-19 vaccinations to the general public according to the number of vaccines that are supplied. 

Bumrungrad has received immense interest regarding the COVID-19 vaccine. Out of concern for you and your family during this pandemic, please know that we have already completed the process of ordering Thai FDA approved COVID-19 vaccines, having followed government regulations and procedures. Additionally, we have been coordinating with other private hospitals in obtaining more vaccines. 

We will inform you when we have received the vaccines and are ready to provide the vaccination service.

We are constantly striving to provide excellent service, to support our aim and continuous improvement, please let us know your satisfaction at http://email_bumrungrad.questionform.com/public/external 

Best Regards

/End quote

"In the meantime, please visit the links (media platforms) we have provided you on the earlier email for vaccine update."

what links were these?

I received a very similar email form them (minus the "sorry you feel this way"). I had replied to an earlier email by them and specifically asked them what the links / process were for BMA vaccine, they did not answer this.

Did your earlier email from them contain a link? Mine did not, only a statement that "Please be advised that the current COVID-19 vaccination booking with the Office of Health BMA requires a Thai ID number.". To which I replied that I HAVE an I+D number, how do I book with BMA? and instead of an answer got an email similar to yours.

3 hours ago, Excel said:

Slightly off topic, but only a little.  Many people, probably many of us whom have not been tested could well be Asymptomatic.  When the vaccines become available do you know if you will be tested for covid prior to having the vaccination ? This leads to my main question :- Are then any downsides to having the vaccination, whilst unknowingly having covid as you are asymptomatic ?

No and no

No country tests for COVID before vaccinating. Impractical.

No reports of adverse effects from being vaccinated while already infected and it must have already happened millions of times. But this has not been specifically researched.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

"In the meantime, please visit the links (media platforms) we have provided you on the earlier email for vaccine update."

what links were these?

I received a very similar email form them (minus the "sorry you feel this way"). I had replied to an earlier email by them and specifically asked them what the links / process were for BMA vaccine, they did not answer this.

Did your earlier email from them contain a link? Mine did not, only a statement that "Please be advised that the current COVID-19 vaccination booking with the Office of Health BMA requires a Thai ID number.". To which I replied that I HAVE an I+D number, how do I book with BMA? and instead of an answer got an email similar to yours.

There were no links to vaccine related issues, just to services offered by BRG, so you're not missing anything. Like everybody, I have to apply a noise filter to all this stuff. Very little signal, a lot of noise. 

51 minutes ago, bradiston said:

UPDATE!

/Quote

Best Regards

/End quote

and those over 60 years of age

Well that covers most foreigners - so where do we apply ?