COVID vaccination at Private Hospitals

Sheryl

14 minutes ago, canopus1969 said:

and those over 60 years of age

Well that covers most foreigners - so where do we apply ?

I believe as of May 1st there is supposed to be a new downloadable app that takes care of all registration issues. In the meantime, maybe try the private hospitals' websites and check Sheryl's postings.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

No and no

No country tests for COVID before vaccinating. Impractical.

No reports of adverse effects from being vaccinated while already infected and it must have already happened millions of times. But this has not been specifically researched.

Many thanks for that. So just a bit concerned that eventually when vaccines become available to me rather then  get what I was paying for I would be carted off to some field some where perhaps. What a relief.

There was some news reporting this week that continued to suggest not much progress is being made on the whole notion of private hospitals in Thailand being allowed to source and acquire any vaccines on their own...

See the following:

https://www.thaienquirer.com/26891/exclusive-government-inaction-blocking-private-hospital-vaccine-purchase-despite-prayut-promise/

"Despite promises made by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha, government hurdles and red-tape have made it impossible for private hospitals to acquire vaccines on their own despite having the agency and connections to make it happen.

Thai Enquirer has learned, however, that in the two-weeks since Prime Minister Prayut made the statement there has been no change on the ground and private hospitals are still frustrated by the lack of government communication and agency on the matter.

“At the moment, it is impossible for the private sector to bring in vaccines due to the government’s inaction,” said Dr Suwadee Puntpanich, a director at Thonburi Bamrungmuang Hospital which is part of the Thonburi Healthcare Group.

Another hospital administrator at the Bangkok Dust Medical Centre said that Suwadee’s experience was shared by all other private hospital groups."

• Like 1

Separate from the private hospitals route, the PM has said that the government is trying to reach deals to import doses of both the Pfizer and Sputnik vaccines. And the Ministry of Public Health earlier this week said the government was looking to strike deals to import between 5-10 million doses each of the Pfizer, Johnson and Johnson and Sputnik vaccines.  But none of those would-be deals have been finalized as yet.

In all of that, I haven't heard much from the government about just how and where those imported doses would be used, assuming the government eventually succeeds with their efforts. But one indication came earlier this week when a government spokesman during a news briefing said they wanted to use the Pfizer vaccine doses for Thai teenagers ages 12-18.

None of the above sounds very promising in terms of the notion of most foreigners in Thailand, any time soon, likely being able to be vaccinated with anything other than the government's own locally produced AstraZeneca vaccine... But who knows, maybe a vaccine rabbit will be pulled out of a hat somewhere.

535585452_VaccineAcquisitionPlan04-28-21.jpg.ebb8313f2dce78f30a84ea33e8ef4819.jpg

On 4/27/2021 at 3:29 PM, Sheryl said:

No and no

No country tests for COVID before vaccinating. Impractical.

No reports of adverse effects from being vaccinated while already infected and it must have already happened millions of times. But this has not been specifically researched.

Hi Sheryl just a medical question, very slightly off topic.   Correct me if I am wrong but the currently developed covid vaccinations do not prevent you from catching covid rather ensure the symptoms are generally very minor, but if caught you can still pass it on, is that correct ? Also being Asymptomatic, whilst you carry the virus and able to pass it to others, you generally have very minor symptoms or none at all - is that correct ?

So assuming my assumptions are medically sound, if I were to be tested and found to be asymptomatic  (ignore the issues of quarantine etc), there would be little point in having the vaccination would there because in either case , vaccinated or not, I could not only pass it on still but also only suffer very minor symptoms ?

So stretching that to its logical conclusion would it not be the case that if say 70% of the population are tested and found to be asymptomatic then there would be no health advantage in those 70% having the vaccine. There would only be an advantage once a vaccine is developed that prevents you from contracting the virus.

Now I am not suggesting that should be the case, far from it as it plays in to the deniers hands, but just thinking about the logic based on my assumptions. So really I am hoping that you shoot my assumptions to pieces as if they are correct it makes much of what is considered best practice now rather profound.

Edited by Excel

35 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

All the vaccines reduce both the risk of getting COVID at all, as well as  the risk of it being severe if you do get it.  The reduction in risk of getting it at all varies by vaccine, is not 100% with any but appears to be over 90% with some.

What has caused the confusion is that there was no data on this for most of the vaccines from the clinical trials as due to time pressure, they focused on prevention of symptomatic infection.  Now that vaccines have been rolled out, there is ample real world data that vaccines significantly reduce  asymptomatic infections as well.

There is also now real world data indicating that even for the minority of vaccinated people who get infected, the risk of them infecting others is substantially less. In fact this is true after even the first of 2 dose regimens.

All of which is as expected based on more than a century of experience with vaccines. However, scientists  and public health authorities avoided  saying anything not yet backed by data or outside the scope of the data available, so initially said instead that it was "not known" or "not proven" if vaccination would prevent you from being able to infect others. People mistakenly took this to mean "proven not to" which was never the case.

It is recomme3nded that people who have had COVID still get vaccinated as the immunity obtained from natural infection may not last very long and vaccine-induced immune response will often be stronger and longer lasting. There have been cases of reinfections already within 6-12 months  of the initial infection. But should wait until over the infection before getting the vaccine.

Thanks for that which appears to suggest that even if asymptomatic it is still reccomended to have the vaccine

Whilst of course this virus has not been known for too long, do you know of any testing undertaken of people originally tested and found to be asymptomatic and then tested say one year later to determine whether they still were ? 

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Definitely still recommended to get vaccinated if one has had asymptomatic COVID infection in the past (but wait until the infection has resolved).

There have been studies of the time it takes both symptomatic and asymptomatic people to cease to shed the virus. Not much difference between the two groups but PCR is negative within 30 days in great majority if cases and the mean is under 14 days.

Thanks Sheryl, really interesting that as I didn't realise it was so quick relatively. Thanks again for really useful info

• Like 1

Received the following from Bangkok Hospital:

Dear Sir or Madam,

Warm greetings from Bangkok Hospital!

We are pleased to inform you that we are in the process of acquiring the Covid-19 vaccine. At the moment, please download our Bangkok Hospital Line Official (@Bangkokhospital), once the vaccination is available, we will announce the news on the Time Line. Please find the link to add  Bangkok Hospital Line Official by QR code;
https://page.line.me/bangkokhospital?openQrModal=true “

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TimBKK said:

Received the following from Bangkok Hospital:

Dear Sir or Madam,

Warm greetings from Bangkok Hospital!

We are pleased to inform you that we are in the process of acquiring the Covid-19 vaccine. At the moment, please download our Bangkok Hospital Line Official (@Bangkokhospital), once the vaccination is available, we will announce the news on the Time Line. Please find the link to add  Bangkok Hospital Line Official by QR code;
https://page.line.me/bangkokhospital?openQrModal=true “

I visited Bangkok Hospital in Pattaya this morning. No waiting list, no vaccine, no registration procedure. I was treated there a month or two ago. They know my medical history and obviously my age. They simply weren't prepared in any way.

4 hours ago, Andy from Kent said:

Sorry,  it appears they're now only collecting email addresses for future notification.

557513127_covidvaccine.png.f0ed6c12ce504109447edecc41823e3e.png

Yes, somebody else pointed that out. They obviously took down the original link. I visited 4 hospitals here in Pattaya this morning. Got on the list in just one. Had to insist at the door. They always assume you've come for a jab right away. A lot of calm talking required. Banglamung, Bangkok and International unable to help. But YMMV.

29 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Yes, somebody else pointed that out. They obviously took down the original link. I visited 4 hospitals here in Pattaya this morning. Got on the list in just one. Had to insist at the door. They always assume you've come for a jab right away. A lot of calm talking required. Banglamung, Bangkok and International unable to help. But YMMV.

So which one did you get on the list on?

16 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

So which one did you get on the list on?

Ah, the $64,000 question! It was at Pattaya Memorial. It's still a huge lottery I think. But I think if everybody badgers their local hospitals they might eventually get the message. Gotta try, right?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bradiston said:

I visited Bangkok Hospital in Pattaya this morning. No waiting list, no vaccine, no registration procedure. I was treated there a month or two ago. They know my medical history and obviously my age. They simply weren't prepared in any way.

The email I posted is from the main hospital in BKK.

On 4/27/2021 at 2:54 PM, bradiston said:

UPDATE!

I had previously posted an extract from an email from the below mentioned hospital. I complained it was confusing, and received this in clarification. Some hope on the horizon maybe! I have to say, their admin is impressive!

/Quote

Greetings from Bumrungrad International Hospital.

Referring to your message, we apologize if you feel that way. Please note that in order to give each and everyone an equal chance of getting vaccinated, foreign and locals alike, Bumrungrad has made sure that the vaccine roll out will be a smooth process for everyone therefore; we will be informing you once vaccines have been procured by the hospital. In the meantime, please visit the links (media platforms) we have provided you on the earlier email for vaccine update.

As of now, the government, through the assistance of the Ministry of Public Health, has begun administering COVID-19 vaccinations to those first in line, which include medical professionals and frontline healthcare personnel (both in the private and public sectors), those with chronic medical conditions, and those over 60 years of age. The government plans to gradually provide COVID-19 vaccinations to the general public according to the number of vaccines that are supplied. 

Bumrungrad has received immense interest regarding the COVID-19 vaccine. Out of concern for you and your family during this pandemic, please know that we have already completed the process of ordering Thai FDA approved COVID-19 vaccines, having followed government regulations and procedures. Additionally, we have been coordinating with other private hospitals in obtaining more vaccines. 

We will inform you when we have received the vaccines and are ready to provide the vaccination service.

Thank you for your trust in Bumrungrad International Hospital.  

We are constantly striving to provide excellent service, to support our aim and continuous improvement, please let us know your satisfaction at http://email_bumrungrad.questionform.com/public/external 

Best Regards

/End quote

So just a matter of waiting a while.  Good news.

• Like 1

this message from Bumrungrad today:

The COVID-19 vaccine has been in high-demand during the past few months, and Bumrungrad has received numerous inquiries regarding the vaccine

Currently, we are working with the MOPH and the Private Hospital Association in Thailand in acquiring the COVID-19 vaccine. Although, we are unable to confirm when we will be receiving our supply of the vaccine, we would like to support both Thais and non-Thais who would like to receive the vaccine by gathering names and contact information, including the names of any family members and friends. With names and contact information in hand, we will be able to contact those interested as soon as the vaccine is available.

It is also our intent to support the Thai government in providing COVID-19 vaccines to the public.

If you are planning to get vaccinated for COVID-19, we would love for you to reserve the COVID-19 vaccine through us by providing the information below, so that we can provide you with our quality service when the vaccine is available. 

Name Prefix (Mr./Ms./ Miss/ Mrs.)

Name & Last name (According to passport)

Date of Birth (D/M/Y)

HN (Hospital Number)

Passport Number

Thai Social Security number or Tax Number

Do you have any underlying disease?  

Current home address

Email

Contact Number

26 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

this message from Bumrungrad today:

The COVID-19 vaccine has been in high-demand during the past few months, and Bumrungrad has received numerous inquiries regarding the vaccine

Currently, we are working with the MOPH and the Private Hospital Association in Thailand in acquiring the COVID-19 vaccine. Although, we are unable to confirm when we will be receiving our supply of the vaccine, we would like to support both Thais and non-Thais who would like to receive the vaccine by gathering names and contact information, including the names of any family members and friends. With names and contact information in hand, we will be able to contact those interested as soon as the vaccine is available.

It is also our intent to support the Thai government in providing COVID-19 vaccines to the public.

If you are planning to get vaccinated for COVID-19, we would love for you to reserve the COVID-19 vaccine through us by providing the information below, so that we can provide you with our quality service when the vaccine is available. 

Name Prefix (Mr./Ms./ Miss/ Mrs.)

Name & Last name (According to passport)

Date of Birth (D/M/Y)

HN (Hospital Number)

Passport Number

Thai Social Security number or Tax Number

Do you have any underlying disease?  

Current home address

Email

Contact Number

Can't find any link to this on their website. I signed up via email for a jab if/when it becomes available weeks ago, but haven't received this update.

• Thanks 1

On 5/8/2021 at 12:14 PM, bradiston said:

Can't find any link to this on their website. I signed up via email for a jab if/when it becomes available weeks ago, but haven't received this update.

It is not on their website.

I had emailed them again after a news article yesterday stated they would register foreigners who were (1) existing patients and (2) has Thai ID card.  This was the response I got.

• Thanks 1

On 5/8/2021 at 12:16 PM, Sheryl said:

It is nto on their website.

I had emailed them again after a news article yesterday stated they would register foreigners who were (1) =existing patients and (2) has Thai ID card.  This was the response I got.

It's interesting that Bumrungrad asks for Thai social security number or tax number.Most expats have neither.Still perhaps no need to read too much into this.