Morning Glory Seeds

Taking morning glory (phak boon) seeds back to US. They have always grown great there. Dogs love eating it raw, as well as for our own meals.

QUESTION: If I don't harvest, will it go to seed? Will those seeds propagate?

Not coming back to LOS so want to be able to perpetually grow without buying new seed.

I grow them in Australia in a old bathtub which is outside in full sun. They like soil that is pretty damp compared to most. That's why in Thailand you see it growing in waterways and in ditches on the side of the road.

I find if I don't harvest it for eating I get about 20% that re-sows itself. Much easier to buy new seeds on eBay. Search for morning glory seeds, Pak boong, phad boon, kangkung (Indonesian/Malay name). In Australia I plant early spring. 

It's super good for you! Thai's believe it makes the whites in your eyes more white!

Best of luck

Edited by DavidH555

Thanks, mate. Don't know if they have the seeds on Ebay in the States, but I'm going as far off grid as possible, therefore the curiosity if it goes to seed on its own. Don't want the internet anymore. Might ditch the mobile too. Just gardening and fishing.

20% sounds okay. Just have to keep the dogs away from it. They also like lying in it as it is cooling.

Pak bung does seed itself out but not outrageously.  I no longer sow it as the one plant I have seems to have decided to live forever and now covers about 8 M2 of garden, don't worry I planted turmeric in rows before it started to grow with the rains. We bought Pak bung in the market years ago and after eating the top bit we planted the roots, they grew. 

Anyway I have seen seeds for sale in BigC, maybe you aren't recognising the package?

8 hours ago, cooked said:

Pak bung does seed itself out but not outrageously.  I no longer sow it as the one plant I have seems to have decided to live forever and now covers about 8 M2 of garden, don't worry I planted turmeric in rows before it started to grow with the rains. We bought Pak bung in the market years ago and after eating the top bit we planted the roots, they grew. 

Anyway I have seen seeds for sale in BigC, maybe you aren't recognising the package?

I bought lots of seed packets at JJ. Just wondering if they self-propagate and apparently they do.