Samui ranked as one of world’s 15 best islands for retirees

snoop1130

9 minutes ago, SoilSpoil said:

Hard to find a secluded beach on Samui. The island is overbuilt, and completely in decay. We spent 8 days on Samui last week, and can not imagine to retire there.

Love to visit for a week, not interested in living there. I'm not slamming the place, I really like it, but spending the rest of my life there, not so much.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ramrod711 said:

Love to visit for a week, not interested in living there. I'm not slamming the place, I really like it, but spending the rest of my life there, not so much.

I love going to Samui as well. We always go to the same resort, read loads of books and relax. For retirement, I think Phukt or Krabi have better facilities and better beaches. The osland as a whole, is in dire straits though.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

I love going to Samui as well. We always go to the same resort, read loads of books and relax. For retirement, I think Phukt or Krabi have better facilities and better beaches. The osland as a whole, is in dire straits though.

Going to a resort and reading loads of books can be done anywhere..Ko Samui was great before the resorts and hotels were built dominating the coastline and beaches..but to be a retirement location it needs  hospitals.  There are retirement communities here in Pattaya with good accommodation,  pools, medical support etc that look attractive.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

International Living, a North American-based magazine for retirees, listed Ko Samui at number 10 among its 15 hand-picked islands, scattered around the globe that make for an affordable retirement. These islands are where retirees can find privacy, peace, a simpler way of life, and strong communities.

Good for a visit but retire???? Nah.

• Thanks 1

Travel publications never get it right in my opinion - it is not cost effective to be honest.  It is always the greener pasture.   Read with a huge grain of salt.

A review of the reviewer:

International Living Magazine Review: More Hype Than Substance?

https://infolific.com/money-management/retirement/international-living-review/

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Maha Sarakham said:

Any particular reason why?  Just curious really.

It's nice to go visit and see what it's all about once in a while, watching pi**ed-up foreigners with the prostitutes... but every day... no thanks.

Personal choice so don't take offence, if that's what floats your boat 24/7 365 then go for it.

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I'm not getting the logic of "great place to visit but not to live".

Isnt that the reason most people choose to live somewhere, they enjoyed visiting.

For me, if a place ticks all the boxes for visiting, it ticks all the boxes for living there

Does this mean everyone has chosen to live somewhere they didn't enjoy when they first visited ?

No it just means they like to visit it as a special treat, but living there every day can become boring.

1 hour ago, Maha Sarakham said:

Also curious as to your thoughts behind this.

I might feel differently if I had ever taken my vehicle but I never have. Transportation around the Island spotty and expensive. Not a lot of entertainment venues. As I said, I like to visit, have done quite a few times, only once since they built the mall though. I live in Chiang Mai, Bangkok Air used to have a direct flight that was perfect, always stayed in Chaweng.