Blood pressure gone from 125 to 185 after 2 weeks

cyril sneer

apologies as I don't know the second (/x) number but the figure had me in a panic yesterday

2 weeks ago my blood pressure was 125, since then I have quit alcohol, smoking, carbs and sugar

had a check yesterday and it had gone up to 185, though i've had an unusually stressful week

could the machine have given a wrong reading, or should I see a doctor?

• Confused 1

If you are taking it yourself on a home monitor, you should do it three times and take the average. The second figure (diastolic) is more important to be under 80 than the top one is under 130. Take it each morning & evening to see a trend, keep readings in an app on your phone. It's no good taking it sporadically, it's the trend which is important.

I gave up all booze on 1st January and my BP went noticeably down to about 120/70. Had a beer last weekend (for Man City to win semi final) and it went DOWN to 106/66. 

• Like 1

There's no need at all to panic over just one reading. You quit alcohol, smoking, carbs and sugar all in one go so you must expect your body and mind to go through some serious adjustment and this could well induce stress, which will raise blood pressure of course.

I'd suggest that you do some gentle exercise such as walking, learn some relaxation technics such as mediation and monitor your blood pressure over the course of the next few weeks. Allow your body and mind to settle to its 'new normal'. It can work wonders.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You do not say where you had this BP test - if in a hospital setting it could just be temporary and fine at home.  If you are taking yourself I would expect more than one reading but perhaps I am wrong.  FYI my home BP ranges from 100-120 normally but waiting for an MRI or other procedure it can get to 180 in hospital setting.  Stress can make a big change - and the stress does not have to be major.   I would advise a home monitor and frequent readings for awhile and then a doctor visit if most are high.

both readings were from a hospital and clinic

1 hour ago, cyril sneer said:

both readings were from a hospital and clinic

In my experience Thailand does seem to focus on the first number and ignore the second.

UK advice  to me in the past has been that are more worried by the Diastolic (2nd) being low,  than the Systolic (1st) being high.

How valid that still is today I cannot guarantee, it was at least 15 years ago, things change.

I fully agree with @KannikaP that you should take 3 readings each time and use the average to determine the trend, but don't be too quick in taking the readings allow at least 5 minutes between them to allow your arm to return to normal (blood vessels to fully dilate again) and always use the same arm as each arm can provide different readings. Mine are well different, don't know why but they are.

If your really concerned seek medical advise from a hospital.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pop down to Fascino and buy a proper blood pressure monitor. The upper arm based versions are more reliable in my opinion.

I have a model named 'Hof BP ROBOT-2' 'Healthy Life by Pharmahof' (Model HK-807) - when I first got it I compared the results with the older model I was replacing and it is accurate. I only replaced the old one because it's about 12 years old.

If it really is 180 / x when you're properly resting then you need medication and quickly.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Most good pharmacies have BP machines I have an OMRON SEM-1 model bought in one locally, don't think it was over 1,000 Baht, but might have been.

If you buy from a shop you get it there and then, and they'll show you how to use it, though it's normally simple, also too many of my friends have bought online and not received what they have paid for.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Would highly recommend an Omron 7120 home meter as only costs about 1,300 baht on Lazada and very accurate and reliable (do not believe it worthwhile paying for 500 baht units as Omron is much better made and in my experience much more reliable and will last forever).  Having at home and taking at home is the best way to check - if you just use doctor readings and have white coat syndrome you will be put on medication that is not needed.  Record over time and provide to doctor if they indicate need for treatment.

more reliable and will last forever

My Omron HEM-7120 suddenly stopped working after 6 years a couple of months ago,  bought a Omron HEM-7130...  use the same plugged in 24/7

the 7120 is Basic the 7130 is the Deluxe, so will see if it last longer

Machines in hospitals and clinics are notoriously innaccurate. Please the stress of being there can cause temporary rise in BP.

Get a home BP machine (Omron is good. Get kind that wraps around upper arm not the wrist ones).

Take it yourself at home at rest same timeceach day. That will give you an idea of your true BP.

Bear in mind BP is constantly changing and not expected to be the same all the time. 

• Like 1