60+ provinces in Thailand now issuing fines for not wearing face masks

Jonathan Fairfield

15 hours ago, KannikaP said:

As I have been led to believe, vaccination only minimises the effects of the virus on that person. They can still be contagous so should still wear a mask if talking directly to someone less than 2 metres from them.

Absolutely correct - and very relevant.  But try telling that to the 10,000 idiots marching through London today in protest about having to wear a mask.  It's that attitude that got the UK into 190th worst out of 195 countries in world ranking for covid infection.  At least Thai's just get on with it and do the obviously right thing.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

I cannot believe the stupidity that someone (aka the government) is going to make money from masks when they are so cheap and some Tessabanns give them away for free.

have you been in a coma for a week - maybe a 20k fine will really waken you up

6 hours ago, PeeJayEm said:

Absolutely correct - and very relevant.  But try telling that to the 10,000 idiots marching through London today in protest about having to wear a mask.  It's that attitude that got the UK into 190th worst out of 195 countries in world ranking for covid infection.  At least Thai's just get on with it and do the obviously right thing.

Thankfully the idiots ( and I can agree  on that) at least DO have the right to march, tell the poor  students  fighting the govt in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

Please  pass  that information on to the same  people who  spout about an alleged "God" I'd  rank them right up there with the flat earthers et al.

Anyone who wears a mask must be a flatearther

No.......What I mean is anyone who does not wear a mask must be a flatearther

No.....What I mean is what does the flat earth have to do with wearing a mask...

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Anyone who wears a mask must be a flatearther

No.......What I mean is anyone who does not wear a mask must be a flatearther

No.....What I mean is what does the flat earth have to do with wearing a mask...

I  think you have misunderstood what I said.

4 minutes ago, BestB said:

Why do I have to wear a mask when riding bike alone? 

Possibly for when you you are waiting at traffics lights or similar, and in close proximity to others. I imagine someone riding close behind you could also be exposed to the air you exhale.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, gunderhill said:

Thankfully the idiots ( and I can agree  on that) at least DO have the right to march, tell the poor  students  fighting the govt in Thailand.

Yes. The only people in Thailand with a spine to stand up to the fascist Thai generals running this failed fake kingdom 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Possibly for when you you are waiting at traffics lights or similar, and in close proximity to others. I imagine someone riding close behind you could also be exposed to the air you exhale.

Unless you plan to kiss or slap someone I can not see how you could be in close proximity , chairs in government offices are closer apart than a distance between 2 riders . As for someone behind. Do you think my breath travels in direct line disregarding wind from moving bike and natural wind?

• Haha 1

On 4/24/2021 at 9:31 AM, KannikaP said:

The original idea of masks was to stop your Covid laden spittle from reaching someone else, directly in front of you and less than 2 metres away. That was the idea of social distancing.

And now I could be fined up to Bht 20,000 for not wearing 'when leaving my home', someone there or not.

Does it mean I MUST wear one while driving my car or motorbike?

Is there a number where I can report any non-maskers, and get a % of the fine. LOL

Motorbike - Yes

Car - No

31 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Why, when driving motorbike with a helmet on, at 40 kph with no-one in front of me. Any logic in it?

Because sometimes you are forced to stop and it can be very crowded.

image.png.f8cd6d4179590cb3cb7843c5f374b359.png

3 hours ago, BestB said:

Why do I have to wear a mask when riding bike alone? 

You should be wearing a one-way 200 nano, respirator type mask mask to filter road motor vehicle exhaust and other pollution. You should be wearing the same type of mask when not cycling to effectively filter out liquid and solid pollution particles that may be.harboring/carrying viruses, bacteria and pollen, etc and anything else you probably don't want in your lungs. The paper/surgical masks will not/cannot do this type of filtering because they were not designed to do so.

These are sold by HomePro (119 Baht) or you can buy a six-pack from Sira safety for 420 Baht. They come with a spare carbon/200 nano-capable filter - 1/5 micron(they advertise). I don't leave home without one one on. In fact, I don't even leave my 'clean room' bedroom/den without wearing one since I air-purify only that room.

The details of this mask are HERE

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Fines were introduced  last year too...and no not when running though most  mask dodgers  can barely  limp let alone run!

Yes but not up in CM for fines for last year. I always ru8n no mask, but I can see this if CM adopts it to be a big pocket stuffer for the police, and possible for snitches to reap part of the reward...

6 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Yes but not up in CM for fines for last year. I always ru8n no mask, but I can see this if CM adopts it to be a big pocket stuffer for the police, and possible for snitches to reap part of the reward...

I go jogging and cycling every evening through the countryside. Rarely see anyone and only pass a few houses.  

Does this rule about masks mean I need to wear one when doing my exercises?  

30 minutes ago, MaxYakov said:

You should be wearing a one-way 200 nano, respirator type mask mask to filter road motor vehicle exhaust and other pollution. You should be wearing the same type of mask when not cycling to effectively filter out liquid and solid pollution particles that may be.harboring/carrying viruses, bacteria and pollen, etc and anything else you probably don't want in your lungs. The paper/surgical masks will not/cannot do this type of filtering because they were not designed to do so.

These are sold by HomePro (119 Baht) or you can buy a six-pack from Sira safety for 420 Baht. They come with a spare carbon/200 nano-capable filter - 1/5 micron(they advertise). I don't leave home without one one on. In fact, I don't even leave my 'clean room' bedroom/den without wearing one since I air-purify only that room.

Cost money, bad the the environment and waste. Pointless when running / cycling in the countryside away from pollution and people. 

Next we will all have to wear plastic disposal gloves when we go outside so we don't get virus on our hands.  Where to draw the line?

These masks have been a security blanked for many people who have developed an irrational phobia about germs.

They only need to be worn when in an enclosed public area like shopping malls and shops, or in crowded busy places, and of cours in hospitals. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

I go jogging and cycling every evening through the countryside. Rarely see anyone and only pass a few houses.  

Does this rule about masks mean I need to wear one when doing my exercises?  

I don't think foreigners are put up on a pedestal here and to grass someone up may just be like kicking a dog for fun here. Remember everyone has a phone and camera and loves to post to social media, and then from there it is easy to track the person down..  I'm up in CM and will need to survey the situation next week when I go running.

6 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:
38 minutes ago, MaxYakov said:

Expand  

Cost money, bad the the environment and waste. Pointless when running / cycling in the countryside away from pollution and people. 

Next we will all have to wear plastic disposal gloves when we go outside so we don't get virus on our hands.  Where to draw the line?

These masks have been a security blanked for many people who have developed an irrational phobia about germs.

They only need to be worn when in an enclosed public area like shopping malls and shops, or in crowded busy places, and of cours in hospitals. 

Yes, adequate lung/body protection does cost money. So do the effectively worthless paper, surgical/masks. I have found a way to stretch a single TG-50SV (including the spare filter) to two months of use.

I have every TG-50SV mask I ever purchased and used as well as the dirty filters and will retain them (dozens) until I can find a suitable recycler (or not).

As a matter of fact, I do wear white cotton, washable work gloves when cycling (19 Baht at FoodLand). I will continue to wear them if for no other reasons than to keep my hands clean and to make any turn hand-signals I may make (rarely) more visible to other people.

Security blanket? Do you have a problem with security from airborne pollution and pathogens? I haven't had even a cold since 2016 when I seriously started using these masks on a full-time basis. I'll take the security over pathogens, Thank You very much!

One has to use common sense when deciding to wear a mask or not. I live and cycle in dirty, noisy central Bangkok so it's a 'no-brainer' for me. Stay safe and secure!

The world is becoming like some extreme Muslim country now, those places that people used to criticize the way  women there were treated and the lack of rights for the citizens. 

We have to keep 2 meters apart from other people.

We are supposed to not talk to people on public transport and sit in silence, again away from each other.

We have to cover our faces all the time when out in public and out on the street.

Bars have been all closed down and so have entertainment places.

Alcohol is banned in restaurants, and sometime banned  even selling it in shops.

We can't leave our homes at certain times or else face fines and going to prison.

We can't post things contrary to what we are told by government on social media as it's 'fake news'...so no freedom of speech.

We even have to have our body temperature checked when entering places and mandatory  tracking apps on our phones to see our movements.

We can't even go in swimming pools or on beaches and we are banned from traveling abroad unless we pay be and have various documents and tests.

And, heaven forbid we actually get the virus, even if we are healthy and have no symptoms, we are basically arrested and locked up....and have to pay a fine (the cost of unnecessary treatment).

Edited by jak2002003
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1