NOS 10 Year Old Wave with only 2kms on the clock. How much.

VocalNeal

Just curious to know what you guys think.  Brand New (sic) old stock 110i Wave. Guy asking 55,000 which is about what it might have cost new 10 years ago. I think he is crazy but... 

Now if I could find a 10 year old price list...

• Haha 2

Even with 2 km on the clock it is 10 years, and it is not worth anything more than one with 30 000 km on it. 

I would never bought anything that have not been in use regulary and regulary serviced. My best guess you need to make a total service on it, and put it back together. New brakes, wires, tires, oils, etc etc, 

• Like 2

As the Wave is still in production, only slightly updated, it doen't really have any benefits from it's age.

A Sonic or other out of production bike could perhaps claim a premium price,  but at 55k for an old wave, just buy a new Wave.

59 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

I'll say again - why brake pads ?  - what goes wrong with them ?

I don't know if they can expire, but to have the most important part of a vehicle replaced with a new part would just leave me with a way better feeling, and for a merely 200-300THB ...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, canthai55 said:

20-25 would be OK - for what is essentially a brand new bike

Its not really a brand new bike---Technology has moved on in the last 10 years, Lighting LED especially , but even lots of small things like most Honda's today wont start  if your stand is down, and so many other things --which of course after a few beers I cant think of.....????‍♂️

You can get a brand new 2021 model for under 45k. Personally I wouldn't touch a 10-year old bike with a bargepole, knowing how Thais treat their motor vehicles I would be surprised if it's even had the chain adjusted. There's also the possibility that the mileage is not genuine.

Edited by BenDeCosta

53 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I don't know if they can expire, but to have the most important part of a vehicle replaced with a new part would just leave me with a way better feeling, and for a merely 200-300THB ...

They don't.  On vehicles in countries with wet & cold weather rust may form which gradually causes the friction material to delaminate (part company) from the metal part) if they're not used. A quick visual check will confirm this. I doubt there will be any problem with a bike that's lived in Thailand but any sign of rust on the metal part of the pads - fling 'em.

3 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

At 2000km it shouldn't need its chain adjusting.

The chain stretches the most in the first few thousand km, I bought a new Honda Wave last year and had to return at 1000km for the first chain adjustment.

Edited by BenDeCosta

12 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

They don't.  On vehicles in countries with wet & cold weather rust may form which gradually causes the friction material to delaminate (part company) from the metal part) if they're not used. A quick visual check will confirm this. I doubt there will be any problem with a bike that's lived in Thailand but any sign of rust on the metal part of the pads - fling 'em.

All rubber, hoses, seals, gaskets, gas tank, gasolin gels up, basically you need to check up the whole bike, but do not take my word for it, and a new battery. But if you just going fra your appartment and down the road to 7/11 and back, it might worth it. 

I wouldnt bought an old bike that had been sitting for 10 years. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I don't see why a brand new bike with 2 kms on the odo should have had the chain adjusted.

Because as I already mentioned, new motorcycle chains stretch the most in the first few thousand kilometres and if you buy a brand new Honda Wave from a Honda dealer, they'll tell you to come back after 1000km to have the chain adjusted. Oh I just saw that the OP said it only has 2km, is that correct? Apologies.

I assumed he meant 2000km. Brainfart.

Edited by BenDeCosta
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BenDeCosta said:

Because as I already mentioned, new motorcycle chains stretch the most in the first few thousand kilometres and if you buy a brand new Honda Wave from a Honda dealer, they'll tell you to come back after 1000km to have the chain adjusted.

This bike still has 998km to go before it reaches 1000km.

It wasn't ridden, so how could the chain be stretched?

Edited by jackdd

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

2 km < 1000 km

This bike wasn't ridden, so could the chain be stretched?

Haha no. As above I thought he meant 2000km, I apologise.

Even so, it's not worth more than a new bike with 0km on the clock.

Edited by BenDeCosta

58 minutes ago, BenDeCosta said:

Haha no. As above I thought he meant 2000km, I apologise.

Even so, it's not worth more than a new bike with 0km on the clock.

Is not even worth more than a bike done 30K on it. 

On 4/24/2021 at 2:15 PM, Tagged said:

All rubber, hoses, seals, gaskets, gas tank, gasolin gels up..............................................

Please note: my post only answered a question about brake pads!

On 4/24/2021 at 2:00 PM, BenDeCosta said:

The chain stretches the most in the first few thousand km, I bought a new Honda Wave last year and had to return at 1000km for the first chain adjustment.

Yes, and I said it shouldn't need adjusting at 2000km.  I believe the first check is done at 1000km (or was 10 years ago) at which time any adjustments would have been made.  Had a bike for 50 years and still have, I can't ever remember having to adjust a good quality chain every 1000km......600 miles - no way unless the owner is a wheelie merchant and I can't see a Wave being wheelied too often.

3 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Yes, and I said it shouldn't need adjusting at 2000km.  I believe the first check is done at 1000km (or was 10 years ago) at which time any adjustments would have been made.  Had a bike for 50 years and still have, I can't ever remember having to adjust a good quality chain every 1000km......600 miles - no way unless the owner is a wheelie merchant and I can't see a Wave being wheelied too often.

Good quality chain is an o-ring or x-ring chain...

which you don't find on Waves.

• 2 weeks later...

While the 2008-2009 Wave might be considered by some to be better built than the newest one, and the engine's already fuel  injected instead of carburated so quite modern

a good conditioned ones only go for around 19,000, so unless there's value in being a collectable new old stock which you are going to keep it in a museum for, I don't see paying over 20 grand over market value if you don't have any sentimental reason for it, and to get one for use daily, new ones are available for less than that

On 4/24/2021 at 9:55 AM, VocalNeal said:

Just curious to know what you guys think.  Brand New (sic) old stock 110i Wave. Guy asking 55,000 which is about what it might have cost new 10 years ago. I think he is crazy but... 

Now if I could find a 10 year old price list...

That would be about right 55k 10 years  ago ,young kid puts 1500 baht deposits down on a new Wave  say 1500 baht/ month over 3 years ......

You buy a new Wave you will be paying 30% interest ,buying it on the never, never .

I have looked before at second hand Waves sold privately not cheap ,owner wants back what he paid ,I could not understand why such high prices ,then the penny dropped ,you are paying for the interest charges.