Thailand has utterly failed in vaccine rollout, says leading doctor

Jonathan Fairfield

53 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

It's hard to roll out vaccines when the Biden administration is hording vaccines and restricting the export of precursor chemicals and compounds to vaccine makers in India and around the world...and when Canadian PM Trudeau (the dancing Hindu PM) orders 300M vaccine doses for his country of 40M.

As pandemic surges anew, global envy and anger over U.S. vaccine abundance

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/04/24/coronavirus-vaccine-us-anger-inequality/

I hear ya.  But the US funded the development of some of these, and paid big time to be first up.  Other countries could have done the same, but didn't.

I just read they is an over supply and the US will start shipping jabs globally.  With a bunch coming in June/July.  Maybe we'll get some here?  I sure hope so.

18 hours ago, ukrules said:

In the end I guess it doesn't matter. Most people will be vaccinated by next year some time and this will all be over.

The government have clearly done the sums and although they haven't come out and said it they appear to be accepting of the consequences of doing very little to contain the virus at a national level.

I can only surmise that all is going to plan and any losses are deemed acceptable, collateral damage if you will.

"And this will all be over"?   I read those words 52 weekds ago 

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

When you leave your country of origin your government doesn't follow you around the world like a nanny to pander to your every desire.

Jeez.... that is hyperbolic stupid, full stop. My "every desire"? Like just a "whim" not wanting to die in a pandemic? Perhaps if my government didn't follow me around the world extracting taxes from me, which are used to pay for the vaccine, among other things, then you might have a small point.

The stated goal of US State Department is the security and safety of US citizens abroad. Go to their site if you don't believe me.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, EricTh said:

"EMA finds possible link"

It has been shown that the incidence of blood clots a far lower from specific vaccinated individuals, than in the general population. One could assume from this statistic that the vaccinated individuals may have got blood clots irrespective of the vaccine applied. It has also been shown that women taking birth control pills are at an even higher risk of blood clots than the general population.

Australian article states:-

“However, further follow-up of some remaining details, including information about the patient’s medical histories, and some imaging and blood test results, is still being completed."

So, nothing definitive as yet....

All this scaremongering was initially promoted by the EU, to discredit Astra Zeneca, over their dispute with them.

What puzzles me though, is that the EU continue to insist on fulfilment of their deliveries before removing the block on exports to the UK. Note, that's only the UK and Australia, 2 countries out of 120 non EU countries, I wonder why.....

Edited by Tofer

20 hours ago, Kiujunn said:

You can fly to a safe country,  preferably one that does vaccinate,

if you have the right passport and money. 

Staying here will be an exciting experience

Yes, except of course you have to quarantine upon arrival, (21 days in Hong Kong for example), plus days between first and second jab, and then you have to quarantine upon return to Thailand, (14, 10 or 7 days...it's a moveable feast). So of course it's feasible, but the time required is problematic.

19 hours ago, Tofer said:

Really! The last I heard was that that the WHO and the EMA had endorsed the use of Astra Zeneca vaccines.

As I understand it, blood clots are a general medical occurrence, and vaccines cannot be directly associated with the incidences.

I wouldn't believe a word that comes out of the EU, in respect to anything related to this vaccine, considering their dispute with that company and their vindictive attitude towards the UK. It's odd though, how they champion the Pfizer vaccine that also has incidents of blood clots, don't you think?

And J&J has blood clot issues too.

6 minutes ago, samtam said:

Yes, except of course you have to quarantine upon arrival, (21 days in Hong Kong for example), plus days between first and second jab, and then you have to quarantine upon return to Thailand, (14, 10 or 7 days...it's a moveable feast). So of course it's feasible, but the time required is problematic.

And J&J has blood clot issues too.

Every vaccine will be potentially associated with blood clot issues, since it is a general medical condition in the general populace.

Until extensive medical case studies are conducted, blood clots cannot be directly associated with the vaccines, only suspected.

Birth control pills have been around for decades, and presumably the direct correlation of blood clots with those drugs has been proved with such medical case studies.

Edited by Tofer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tofer said:

Every vaccine will be potentially associated with blood clot issues, since it is a general medical condition in the general populace.

Until extensive medical case studies are conducted, blood clots cannot be directly associated with the vaccines, only suspected.

Birth control pills have been around for decades, and presumably the direct correlation of blood clots with those drugs has been proved with such medical case studies.

Yes, I'm not disputing that blood clot issues are there, I was suggesting that it's not only the AZ brand, (which the EU has focused on). It's an issue with 3 brands, and one that is so small, the risk is worthwhile. With the EU it's purely political. Well, actually all the rollouts are political, which is unfortunate, and why Thailand is not best placed in its response record.

A post containing content that was copy and pasted from the Financial Times has been removed:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

An off topic post has been removed. 

Currently, the US is at just over 50% of people with at least one jab, for those over 18 years old, and at over 80% for those over 65. Thailand is at just over 1%. What can one even say? Being beaten by both the PI and Cambodia, at anything at all is humiliating. But being beaten by them with regard to a vaccination drive is astonishing, and indicative of a massive failure on every level. The administration dropped the ball, and betrayed it's people for the hundredth time. 

Prayuth, if he is thinking straight, should be saying:

I know, I know, I know. I should have reacted when the outbreak happened back in December, and done the right thing by shutting down that area in Samut. 
I know. I should have taken the vaccine thing more seriously.

I know, I should have had a more qualified health minister.

I know, my pathological fear of the optics of a lockdown are causing many more cases than need be.

And I know, I should have been more diligent with the borders, I should have cracked down on corrupt immigration officials, and kept my promise to fight corruption, and I should have and could have done better.

Do you want me to resign now? I know what is what you are thinking. I probably should. It sure would be the right thing to do.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

I hear ya.  But the US funded the development of some of these, and paid big time to be first up.  Other countries could have done the same, but didn't.

I just read they is an over supply and the US will start shipping jabs globally.  With a bunch coming in June/July.  Maybe we'll get some here?  I sure hope so.

"Pfizer and BioNTech expect to expand COVID-19 vaccine manufacturing capacity to up to 2.5 billion doses by the end of 2021, thanks to the optimization of production processes and the recent initiation of production in Marburg, Germany."

They have orders for about 1.5 billion doses at present.

https://www.biopharma-reporter.com/Article/2021/03/31/Pfizer-and-BioNTech-ramp-up-COVID-19-vaccine-production-to-2.5-billion-doses

Moderna has increased production that will amount to an additional 80 million vials a year.  The CDC says there are 10 doses in a multi-dose vial.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2021 at 12:30 PM, holy cow cm said:

I think there is more to waiting for this company to produce the vaccine than just bragging. Just wait for the headlines once it starts. 

Saviour of the nation....... brownie points gained protests quelled.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/24/2021 at 9:06 AM, ukrules said:

Most people will be vaccinated by next year some time and this will all be over.

Most certainly not.....IF the vaccines cover 70% of the population by then, it will be a miracle. They firstly need TWO jabs......then to suggest it will be "all over" is just completely ignoring the facts. Covid is not going away at all, it may be more under control, but Covid is here for the foreseeable future. And an almost inevitable consequence of this is that EVERYONE is going to need booster jabs at least on a yearly basis. I can't see Thailand being particularly efficient at any of this.

The current situation re vaccinations is pretty dismal ....

"Thailand had until last month experienced only minor outbreaks and has been slow to procure and administer COVID-19 vaccines, with only 1.6 million doses used so far.

Health Minister Anutin Charnvirankul said on Friday he expects 10 million to 20 million doses of the Pfizer (PFE.N) vaccine to be available in the second half of the year." - Reuters

that means probably less than 1/3 will be vaccinated by October.

so anyone thinking "it will all be over" has their head either in the clouds or in the sand.

Edited by kwilco

On 4/24/2021 at 12:06 PM, petermik said:

been a "fiasco" since they took control....

Not entirely correct, they fixed the over-pricing of lottery tickets (when no body is looking) so they have been very pro-active. 

• Haha 1

there would be only not more than 3mln of AZ in June. Hence not much chance for 10mln for every month thereafter 

so no choice left.

"Temples across the country are ordered to chant a prayer every evening until the pandemic subsides, a spokesman of the national Buddhist authority said Tuesday.

According to the order issued last week by the National Office of Buddhism, the auspicious daily prayer is meant to provide morale to citizens and bring luck to the country. Sipbuan Kaewngarm, the office’s spokesman, said monks at temples nationwide should chant the Rattanasoot Prayer starting Wednesday “until the situation subsides.”

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2021/05/11/govt-asks-temples-to-chant-daily-prayers-to-ward-off-covid-19

Hopefully we'll get some Pfizer here.  Would pay premium markup per dose to avoid that return quarantine with a 'fly to vaccine' plan.   Still holding out hope for family winter holiday this year.... especially now that that Pfizer has that US FDA (emergency use) approval for 12-15 year olds.        

19 minutes ago, internationalism said:

there would be only not more than 3mln of AZ in June. Hence not much chance for 10mln for every month thereafter 

so no choice left.

"Temples across the country are ordered to chant a prayer every evening until the pandemic subsides, a spokesman of the national Buddhist authority said Tuesday.

According to the order issued last week by the National Office of Buddhism, the auspicious daily prayer is meant to provide morale to citizens and bring luck to the country. Sipbuan Kaewngarm, the office’s spokesman, said monks at temples nationwide should chant the Rattanasoot Prayer starting Wednesday “until the situation subsides.”

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2021/05/11/govt-asks-temples-to-chant-daily-prayers-to-ward-off-covid-19

where did you get the 3 million of AZ a month from in June and 10 after? originally it was meant to be 18 million. Could the monks maybe chant for a change of, and better government, that would bring good luck to the country

from always suppose to be 6mln in june and 10mln after.

today slashed to no more than 3mln. No notice about the next months, but also likely, just too far to estimate.

there also suppose to be 26mln.

later added 35mln.

but figures are flying around. For thai officials they are meaningless, they remember only their swiss bank account number 

On 4/24/2021 at 3:56 PM, ftpjtm said:

China is manufacturing 2 vaccines, Sinovac which Thailand has received, has the lower efficacy of the 2 at a little over 50%.

Sinopharm is better at about 75%

CP Group invested in the company making Sinovac, which is possibly one reason it was chosen over Sinopharm. 

But the most important thing is that they both provide very strong protection against severe symptoms developing and death.

• 10 months later...
2 minutes ago, connda said:

I set this in my calendar to come back to this last year.
Somewhere in this thread the following is stated.

@ukrules said a year ago:
In the end I guess it doesn't matter. Most people will be vaccinated by next year some time and this will all be over.

I said a year ago:
This will never "be over."  I'll bookmark this a come back to it in a year.  

And here we are a year later still with nationwide masking, bars and night-time entertainment venues closed, and still a PITA to enter Thailand.
I guess what?  Next year this time is still will not be over.

Bets? 

Here's the link:

14 minutes ago, connda said:

@ukrules said a year ago:

Next year some time goes right up until December does it not? ????

Edited by ukrules