Do I need an appointment to get the 60-Day Covid extension at Chaengwatthana?

Hello. I was able to cancel my near expiring smart-visa and was instructed to get the 60 day covid-extension at Chaengwatthana. This is my first time going there, as I live in Nonthaburi and previously have only used the Nonthaburi immigration.   They said only Chaengwatthana is granting those extensions so I should go there. My question is, do I need an appointment (I saw mention of a website where you have to queue up and make an appointment first) or can I walk in and get the extension? What documents will I need for the extension?  I'm a bit worried they would tell me to go to Nonthaburi immigration, but again I was instructed by the Smart Visa Unit to go to Chaengwatthana. 

Edited by OmegaWolf33

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you have a address for Nonthaburi you will have to apply for the extension there.

Do they ask for the address report form for the covid extension? the Smart Visa Unit knew I lived in Nonthaburi but insisted I need to go to Chaengwatthana, They mentioned something like that they aren't requiring many documents this time for covid extensions? 

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, OmegaWolf33 said:

Do they ask for the address report form for the covid extension? the Smart Visa Unit knew I lived in Nonthaburi but insisted I need to go to Chaengwatthana, They mentioned something like that they aren't requiring many documents this time for covid extensions? 

Their comments to the effect that Covid extensions are easy to get right now is correct. However, their advice that you must go to Chaengwatthana is almost certainly wrong. As @ubonjoe told you, for all extensions, those residing in Nonthaburi must use Nonthaburi immigration. My assumption is that this is yet another illustration of a general rule: never trust what any Thai government office tells you about anything other than the services they directly provide themselves.

However, out of an abundance of caution, try to call Nonthaburi immigration to confirm that there is not some obscure rule that states you must use Chaengwatthana because this is some weird edge case.

14 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Chaengwatthana because this is some weird edge case.

BritTim, apart from valid points you made, can you clarify.......I was under the impression that the 60 day 'covid extensions' are still obtained at MTT for folk that usually deal with CW.

I realize that the OP deals with Nonthaburi and will/should obtain extension there.

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

BritTim, apart from valid points you made, can you clarify.......I was under the impression that the 60 day 'covid extensions' are still obtained at MTT for folk that usually deal with CW.

I realize that the OP deals with Nonthaburi and will/should obtain extension there.

I ignored the regular use of MTT for the Covid extension, as I am 100% sure that would be wrong in his case. Either (95% probability) he should just use Nonthaburi immigration; or this is a weird edge case that can only be addressed by CW.

9 hours ago, OmegaWolf33 said:

You will need to show a receipt for a submittal of TM30 report and possible proof of your residence.

The Smart Visa is different from other types of visas/extensions. For a normal extension you will have the use the standard rule and apply at Nonthaburi.

I am not sure if you had Bangkok address they would do it at Chaeng Wattana. Only those that entered on tourist visa have to do them there. All others are done a Muang Thong Thani.

On 4/26/2021 at 2:42 PM, allencraig said:

...But if you DO go to Chaengwattana, you should definitely make an online appointment beforehand. It's easy: http://203.151.166.132/immigrant_queue/booking/

Can the booking system be used for the "Covid" extensions, for those people who need to do this at Chaeng Wattana ?

On 4/24/2021 at 9:40 PM, OmegaWolf33 said:

The 60 day extension isnt available at cw, you need to go to central investigation bureau, muanf thong thani. 

Counter k.

Thst said they are nasty about people without bangkok addresses checking in. They won't let it happen.

If you go, book a night at a local hotel, and use thst as your address  or they very likely wont process you. 

Also, get an appointment.

10 hours ago, n00dle said:

The 60 day extension isnt available at cw, you need to go to central investigation bureau, muanf thong thani. 

If a person entered on a tourist visa the extensions are done at Chaeng Wattana now. All others are done a MTT.

If a person entered on a tourist visa the extensions are done at Chaeng Wattana now. All others are done a MTT.

Is his for voa or just tourist visa? When did this change? I picked my visa up at mtt 10  days ago? Im on voa.

I can confirm that they have moved counter k again, this time from the 4th to the third floor, but when did they announce that location for extensions have changed?

Edited by n00dle

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Territory 1 Announcement of relocation of service counters for extension stay (TR-60, STV Visa) | Annouement of Couter Service (TR-60, STV Visa)

Thanks, I edited my post as yoou were replying.

The stv and tr 60, are either of those the covid extension? I entered on a voa on march they day they closed the lao border.

Too much jargon before my second cup of espresso.

15 minutes ago, n00dle said:

The stv and tr 60, are either of those the covid extension? I entered on a voa on march they day they closed the lao border.

If you entered with a tourist visa issued by a embassy or consulate the 60 day covid extension would be applied for at Chaeng Wattana desk J.

All others are applied for at desk K at MTT.

I think you probably entered visa exempt that allowed a 30 day permit to stay not a VOA that only allows a 15 day entry.

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If you entered with a tourist visa issued by a embassy or consulate the 60 day covid extension would be applied for at Chaeng Wattana desk J.

I think you probably entered visa exempt that allowed a 30 day permit to stay not a VOA that only allows a 15 day entry.

Yes, correct, jargon again. Thanks for clearing that up.

At any rate counter k has moved down one floor for any that are trapped in the loop.

Thanks, so for my first upcoming covid extension, having entered with a TR-60, I should show up with all paperwork in desk J at MTT, building B. Correct? 

Is crazy how they keep changing all this stuff so often.

Edited by cpillow

8 minutes ago, cpillow said:

Thanks, so for my first upcoming covid extension, having entered with a TR-60, I should show up with all paperwork in desk J at MTT, building B. Correct? 

You go to desk J at Chaeng Wattana. It is building B at the government complex.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/24/2021 at 10:14 PM, BritTim said:

Their comments to the effect that Covid extensions are easy to get right now is correct. However, their advice that you must go to Chaengwatthana is almost certainly wrong. As @ubonjoe told you, for all extensions, those residing in Nonthaburi must use Nonthaburi immigration. My assumption is that this is yet another illustration of a general rule: never trust what any Thai government office tells you about anything other than the services they directly provide themselves.

However, out of an abundance of caution, try to call Nonthaburi immigration to confirm that there is not some obscure rule that states you must use Chaengwatthana because this is some weird edge case.

I thought I should update you guys on what happened. 

Even though both the Smart-Visa unit case handler and an actual  immigration officer at the front desk of information for the Chimchurii Square OSS building BOTH told us to go to Chaengwatthana despite us making it crystal clear that  we live in Nothanburi (my Thai GF speaking thai to the officer) they told us to go to Chaengwatthana as “that’s the only place they do covid extensions now”. 

How we on Thaivisa can know more about the extension processes than someone who’s actual job it is to know this stuff is both baffling and infuriating.

Luckily wasting time at Chaengwattana didn’t take that long (other than two long taxi rides each way) since there was a different booth to handle business type visas. What made me mad was the female officer and her little buddy there being shockingly rude to my GF, waving her finger around with an attitude and having a total power trip telling us to get lost and go to Nothanburi in Thai.  

At Nothanburi, they were the least busy I've ever seen them and I noted markedly higher spirits, good vibes and comradery among the immigration officers. Still an idiotic processes ensued similar to what I experienced at the beginning of the pandemic. After 2 hours they took my 1900 baht and  stamped me for “Under consideration by the Nothanburi Immigration” with an appointment to come back two weeks later on the day my smart-visa would expire (with zero assurance of an extension). 

Regarding the extension, they counted from the day I went to immigration instead of the day my smart-visa would expires (more than 2 weeks into the future). Essentially, I was penalized for going in earlier, they literally subtracted 15+ days off the 60 day extension I paid for.  How does that encourage people to come in earlier rather than waiting until the last minute of their visa? It does just the opposite in fact.

So in summary, I paid money to get zero assurance of an extension, with an appointment to return on the day of expiration for another bloated time-wasting process. This is two-fold oof since it forces crowding at the immigration office by making people queue twice for one extension while giving them no time to plan their life. How smart is that?

Anyway I got my 1900 baht “extension.” Lucky the process wasn’t worse I suppose.  But because of my experience I'd have to recommend going in the last few days of your visa instead of earlier or you'll lose a lot of the "60-days" they promise. Crowding is entirely their own fault due to their bloated thoughtless 2-day extension process.

Edited by OmegaWolf33

On 5/16/2021 at 11:31 AM, OmegaWolf33 said:

I thought I should update you guys on what happened. 

Even though both the Smart-Visa unit case handler and an actual  immigration officer at the front desk of information for the Chimchurii Square OSS building BOTH told us to go to Chaengwatthana despite us making it crystal clear that  we live in Nothanburi (my Thai GF speaking thai to the officer) they told us to go to Chaengwatthana as “that’s the only place they do covid extensions now”. 

How we on Thaivisa can know more about the extension processes than someone who’s actual job it is to know this stuff is both baffling and infuriating.

Luckily wasting time at Chaengwattana didn’t take that long (other than two long taxi rides each way) since there was a different booth to handle business type visas. What made me mad was the female officer and her little buddy there being shockingly rude to my GF, waving her finger around with an attitude and having a total power trip telling us to get lost and go to Nothanburi in Thai.  

At Nothanburi, they were the least busy I've ever seen them and I noted markedly higher spirits, good vibes and comradery among the immigration officers. Still an idiotic processes ensued similar to what I experienced at the beginning of the pandemic. After 2 hours they took my 1900 baht and  stamped me for “Under consideration by the Nothanburi Immigration” with an appointment to come back two weeks later on the day my smart-visa would expire (with zero assurance of an extension). 

Regarding the extension, they counted from the day I went to immigration instead of the day my smart-visa would expires (more than 2 weeks into the future). Essentially, I was penalized for going in earlier, they literally subtracted 15+ days off the 60 day extension I paid for.  How does that encourage people to come in earlier rather than waiting until the last minute of their visa? It does just the opposite in fact.

So in summary, I paid money to get zero assurance of an extension, with an appointment to return on the day of expiration for another bloated time-wasting process. This is two-fold oof since it forces crowding at the immigration office by making people queue twice for one extension while giving them no time to plan their life. How smart is that?

Anyway I got my 1900 baht “extension.” Lucky the process wasn’t worse I suppose.  But because of my experience I'd have to recommend going in the last few days of your visa instead of earlier or you'll lose a lot of the "60-days" they promise. Crowding is entirely their own fault due to their bloated thoughtless 2-day extension process.

Hi,they actually have given themselves more work aswell ! pretty silly process,glad you got there in the end,pity about the -15 days tho crazy !..,im just about to do the same,my visa runs out 2nd june so im glad i read this as probably to early to apply now,did you take any other docs with you or just passport ?

Sorry to take this thread off-topic a little, but does anyone know if May 29th is still the 'deadline' to get the 60 day extension? (this is according to Thaiger video released in April, I can't find any other clear info)

16 minutes ago, TenDreams said:

Sorry to take this thread off-topic a little, but does anyone know if May 29th is still the 'deadline' to get the 60 day extension? (this is according to Thaiger video released in April, I can't find any other clear info)

It is still the 29th at this time. I am sure the order for them will be extended but we will not know about it until 2 or 3 days before the 29th.