COE and Covid Insurance from Australia

I wanted to kick off the process today to arrive end of June. Despite current outbreak. Now realise that my understanding of the process might not be completely current. I am married to a Thai and originally had a NON-O based on marriage which has been extended two or three times based on that and then extended the last few years based on retirement. I have a re-entry permit and my stamp will be until 18 January 2022.

I thought the requirement to purchase the Covid insurance prior to applying for COE had been relaxed, it appears not. If I have a ticket departing Thailand say end of October, would I need to purchase the insurance til 18 Jan. I see that it is 14,400 for 12 months, is there no option for a period between 6 and 12 months? Age was not mentioned. Is that the cheapest Thai cover I could get? Also of concern on that TGIA website is a popup which mentions the 400k/40k as a requirement for retirement extensions, the COE application does not seem to mention it. Is that aimed at me or not?

Thanks for your time.

You will need the covid 19 insurance coverage to the day your current extension of stay in January of next year.

You will also need the 40/400k baht medical insurance coverage due to be be on a extension of stay based upon retirement. I might not be needed is you chose this option of the COE website. image.png.861226585a41241feb36a06be983ce36.png

You will need to ask the embassy or the consulate in Sydney about it.

More info can be found on the consulate website. https://sydney.thaiembassy.org/en/index

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, how difficult was it to obtain permission from Oz gov to exit Australia?

It is the easiest part of the application. Make sure you give a good reason why you wish to travel ie to be with spouse....Do not say Tourism. Also make sure you tick the box that you intend to stay outside Ozz for 3 months or more.. You will get a reply within 24hrs.... Copy the approval and show at the airport.

homeaffairs.gov.au

• Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Thaifish said:

It is the easiest part of the application

Thanks. That was also my impression however I read very recently on tv where a fella had a horrible time obtaining permission even though he was married to Thai etc. 

When was your experience. 

4 hours ago, greg71 said:

You can now fly to Nz and then fly to Thailand thus avoiding the need for permission to leave from the government - a bit of a pain but that is now doable at least 

You cannot do this unless your trying to get out of Oz long term.

Edited by DrJack54

8 hours ago, greg71 said:

You can now fly to Nz and then fly to Thailand thus avoiding the need for permission to leave from the government - a bit of a pain but that is now doable at least 

Evidently someone just used this loophole to fly Oz/NZ/Turkey.

The Oz Health Minister counted this loophole last week under the Biosecurity Act with a penalty of $66, 660 fine or 5 years gaol.

Edited by LosLobo
  • Like 1

No exemption required, I’ll be relying on this 

Ordinarily resident overseas

You are considered ordinarily resident in a country other than Australia if international movement records show that you’ve spent more time outside Australia than inside for the last 12 to 24 months. You do not need to carry a paper record of your movements with you. If required, Australian Border Force officers at airports can check your movement records in their systems.

If you do not think you need a travel exemption, you can present this evidence when you check-in at the airport. However, if you have any doubt about whether your circumstances fall within the definition of ordinarily resident, we recommend you lodge a request for assessment at least two weeks prior to your intended departure.

8 minutes ago, Bluetongue said:

You are considered ordinarily resident in a country other than Australia if international movement records show that you’ve spent more time outside Australia than inside for the last 12 to 24 months. You do not need to carry a paper record of your movements with you. If required, Australian Border Force officers at airports can check your movement records in their systems.

If you do not think you need a travel exemption, you can present this evidence when you check-in at the airport. However, if you have any doubt about whether your circumstances fall within the definition of ordinarily resident, we recommend you lodge a request for assessment at least two weeks prior to your intended departure.

Wasn't aware of that. 

I would be inclined to use the advice in last sentence re lodge a request for assessment.....

Good luck.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Wasn't aware of that. 

I would be inclined to use the advice in last sentence re lodge a request for assessment.....

Good luck.

Yes I should have mentioned I will be doing that. At day of departure I'll be about 15/24 outside Australia.

5 hours ago, Bluetongue said:

I'm sure you have looked into it completely.

I was just now reading article (think it was 9news) where an Australian used the loophole flying to NZ and onto Russia. The interesting thing was that it stated that he had been living there (Russia) since 2016. 

Wonder why he didn't adopt your plan.

21 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm sure you have looked into it completely.

I was just now reading article (think it was 9news) where an Australian used the loophole flying to NZ and onto Russia. The interesting thing was that it stated that he had been living there (Russia) since 2016. 

Wonder why he didn't adopt your plan.

yes, they conveniently neglected to ask him that question eh? or report the details if in fact he did give them the whole story. surely he applied for an exemption and was rejected else why go to all that bother?

• 2 weeks later...

OK I tried to contact Thai Consulate Sydney. The SMS channel which they promoted, receives an automated response and nothing else, the phone has two selections, one rings out, the other hangs up. So it may be you cant contact them.

Anyway I bit the bullet and bought 12 months Covid 19 insurance only, and submitted the COE application on the 3rd. Today at work I received an e-mail rejection stating that I must include "the valid Thai visa".  I had attached the re-entry permit which was the only document referred to.

Luckily I had the old passport with me, so I have now amended the COE application to include the original visa from 10 years ago, also the current extension. Report back soon.

OK so the Thai Consulate Sydney answers the phone late in the day, told me the mistake I made (omitted the reentry permit), and now I have the provisional COE. The 400k/40k insurance was not mentioned.

For those interested I have tried to contact Border Force to confirm my automatic extension (as per discussion above). I feel like I am in a triangle of Monty Python, Catch 22 and Yes Minister. So impossible as it seems to contact them, I have written to the Minister and am waiting for her answer. I have looked at flights and ASQ. The cost of Singapore Air from Brisbane with a flexible return date is 1800A$ plus, a rise from when I last looked, I'll have to wear that. I think I'll do ASQ in Pattaya as it'll be easier for the family to come and get me