Yamaha Aerox

Inderpland

I don't own one (too small for me), but I've never heard anything bad about them, should be a good choice. But you have to try if it works with the length of your legs, the space is limited and you might hit your knees.

Having owned both bikes myself, I would highly recommend the yamaha over the Honda. Its much better around corners and less clumsy.

But Honda have now got thier act together, and brought out a model that looks similar to the aerox.

It looks really nice... 155cc.

Cant remember the name, but if you were happy with the Honda, why not look at that too?

I've had my ABS version now for 2 years and I love it. It's nippy enough for town work but it's really at home when I get out on the country lanes. It's so much fun that I often expend my journeys by going off-route when I pop to the shops. It took Madam Moon a while to work out why I took so long to go to 7/11. ????

It's definitely worth going for the ABS version. I had to do an emergency stop a few weeks back when an old dear hung a u-turn right in front of me. The brakes were superb and there is no doubt they prevented an accident.

There have been some comments about lack of leg space. I'm 175cm with an inside leg of 82cm but I do not have this problem. The pillion seat is a bit high and Madam Moon does have to be a bit athletic to get up there, but we mange.

I've done a few long runs on it of up to 130kms and it's well up to it and has plenty of storage for your gear.

The fuel tank's a bit small but that's just about my only criticism.

Yep, I'm very pleased with my choice.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I've had my ABS version now for 2 years and I love it. It's nippy enough for town work but it's really at home when I get out on the country lanes. It's so much fun that I often expend my journeys by going off-route when I pop to the shops. It took Madam Moon a while to work out why I took so long to go to 7/11. ????

It's definitely worth going for the ABS version. I had to do an emergency stop a few weeks back when an old dear hung a u-turn right in front of me. The brakes were superb and there is no doubt they prevented an accident.

There have been some comments about lack of leg space. I'm 175cm with an inside leg of 82cm but I do not have this problem. The pillion seat is a bit high and Madam Moon does have to be a bit athletic to get up there, but we mange.

I've done a few long runs on it of up to 130kms and it's well up to it and has plenty of storage for your gear.

The fuel tank's a bit small but that's just about my only criticism.

Yep, I'm very pleased with my choice.

Thanks for that, I'm 180 cm and will never use it for more than drives within Pattaya so leg space should not be an issue. Also, I did a short test run on an Aerox a year or so ago and didn't notice anything about this.

The fuel tank is listed as 5.5 liters so should be plenty big enough for my short trip needs. The salesman did say I could fill E20, G91 and G95 but I guess I should stick with G95?

Good point about the ABS. That coupled with the keyless ignition makes me go for the top model for sure.

Edited by Inderpland
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Why not the M Slaz?

It is also a 150 Cc.

20210423_161512.jpg

No way I'm going back to manual gears after 11 years of lazy full auto bliss. And, as Expatoilworker pointed out, no storage space makes it a no-no for me.

Edited by Inderpland
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, northsouthdevide said:

Having owned both bikes myself, I would highly recommend the yamaha over the Honda. Its much better around corners and less clumsy.

But Honda have now got thier act together, and brought out a model that looks similar to the aerox.

It looks really nice... 155cc.

Cant remember the name, but if you were happy with the Honda, why not look at that too?

Haven't seen anything at Honda resembling the Aerox. They're all either smaller or bigger that the PCX and Aerox.

10 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

He was probably referring to the Honda ADV 150 ?

OK, that one is even slightly more expensive (102k on Lazada) than the PCX and 25k more than the top model Aerox. Nice bike but if the Mrs is at all able to climb ontop of the high pillion seat of the Aerox that's what we're going for.

If not then we'll have to see. Two things are for sure; I'm staying with full auto gearing and will never go back to tyres with inner tubes. 

Edited by Inderpland

Aerox is a good bike, my friend just passed 70,000km on his 2017, only problem was the LCD screen died after 27,000km but Yamaha replaced it at no cost...(3 Yrs, 30k km warranty) ! He has only praise for the bike and Yamaha, they hardly charge any labour cost when he goes for service/repair...

The old model had 4.7 liter gas tank, new model a bit bigger... (this is only a bit of issue on very long trips)...

As mentioned watch your knee when you first buy it, you can hit the sharp edge panel, but after a while you get use to it, I think the new model does not have that sharp edge panel any more. Also check pillion can get on and is comfy at the back, otherwise it's one of the best scooters in the range...., for a bit more money can go for NMax, that's also top of the range...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Inderpland said:

OK, that one is even slightly more expensive (102k on Lazada) than the PCX and 25k more than the top model Aerox. Nice bike but if the Mrs is at all able to climb ontop of the high pillion seat of the Aerox that's what we're going for.

If not then we'll have to see. Two things are for sure; I'm staying with full auto gearing and will never go back to tyres with inner tubes. 

That's a good point about the tubeless tyres. We have a Click which Madam Moon prefers to ride.  (thankfully ????) The tyres on that need to be topped up every week. The Earox only needs my attention about once a month and then it's only a lb or two.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

That's a good point about the tubeless tyres. We have a Click which Madam Moon prefers to ride.  (thankfully ????) The tyres on that need to be topped up every week. The Earox only needs my attention about once a month and then it's only a lb or two.

The problem with tubeless tires here in Thailand is not the system in itself, but that there are no good quality inner tubes for small bikes available.

I use IRC inner tubes in my big bike, needs topping up every two months or so. I run IRC inner tubes in my Honda Wave, needs topping up every week or so.

I'm quite certain they could also manufacture inner tubes for small bikes which last two months, they would probably be a bit heavier, but I would take this loss in performance for not having to top them up every week.

I think besides of Honda Wave (and the equivalents from the other brands), all new small bikes today come with tubeless tires though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

The problem with tubeless tires here in Thailand is not the system in itself, but that there are no good quality inner tubes for small bikes available.

I use IRC inner tubes in my big bike, needs topping up every two months or so. I run IRC inner tubes in my Honda Wave, needs topping up every week or so.

I'm quite certain they could also manufacture inner tubes for small bikes which last two months, they would probably be a bit heavier, but I would take this loss in performance for not having to top them up every week.

I think besides of Honda Wave (and the equivalents from the other brands), all new small bikes today come with tubeless tires though.

Oh, I didn't know that. That might change my thinking regarding which bike to go for if the Aeorx turns out to be an insurmountable problem for the Mrs.????

But I really do like the stability the width of the tyres on bikes like Aerox and PCX offer. Driving something like a Mio on Thai roads is very uncomfortable.

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

Err pardon? Tubeless tyres don't have inner tubes. That's why they're called tubeless.

However as you say, inner tubes here are <deleted>. They're as porous as a colander. The Click (with inner tubes)  looses around 5ib per week. The Earox only looses about 1lb a month.

The Click already has mag wheels so I'm hopeful that I can get tubeless replacements for it on the next change.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Care to expand why. What justifies the extra 25k over an Aerox?

You'd have to ride one Fordie tbh .....

The Aerox is a fine scooter, but The ADV drives more like an auto motorbike, which puts it in a different league - f/r diskbrakes really do make it stop on a sixpence, longer travel front forks with gas shocks, help to iron out the bumps and Honda reliability ....

• 2 weeks later...

I had an aerox and sold it I didn't have confidence in the suspension or the thin forks on the front.  Additionally the engine although is a great performer runs very rough with high vibrations.  Some have reported an oiling problem particularly in the early models.  Otherwise it's a bike that is more design than engineering as the fat tires give a false impression of stability they are simply too big for the bike with its small engine and poor suspension.  You could upgrade the suspension and front forks if you wish.  Personally I think the nmax is a better bike althoug it too runs roughly.

I have a 2020 R model Aerox....only about 4500 km’s on it now but it’s an exceptionally good machine!

I've been a Honda guy since the very first CR and Gold Wing in the early 70’s and other than a five year affair with HD never ridden anything else!

I rented a PCX for two months first and liked it fine but even Buddy’s Rentals (Honda Guys) were saying if they were buying it would be the Aerox sooo....bought it and loved it!

Does everything right and great on fuel ️....good job because that is a small tank!

One other little thing there’s no bare handlebar to attach anything to...small complaint but it’s real!

maybe should have gone for ABS model but truthfully I loved the orange and grey paint ????

upgrade on the front forks and some better tires this year sometime but not riding anywhere much at the moment anyway!

Keep in mind when you’re buying...someday you’ll want to sell it and Honda or Yamaha are money in your bank in a few days....the other off brands depreciate and can be tough to get your money back.

• 1 month later...

My bet:

1: Aerox

2: Click

3: PCX

I have never tried any of them in 50% incline.. but i would say Yamaha Aerox. Even though its heavier than the 150 click, it has more power. I have not checked any data on them, this comes from riding all 3 bikes.

I used to like the PCX, but after i got used to the Aerox it feels like riding an old understeered bus.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Which bike will best climb a steep 50% incline?

Honda PCX?

Honda Click 150?

Yahama Aerox?

No bike could climb 50%. The world's steepest road is only 35%.

Love my Aerox too. You can get a small hook to fit onto the front which is usefull for carrying stuff.

13 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Love my Aerox too. You can get a small hook to fit onto the front which is usefull for carrying stuff.

The gradient is 50% or about 27 degrees.  Pretty steep, but doable.

The Honda Click 125 can climb it with a single rider, but stall with a passenger. 

Screenshot_20210407-062913_Clinometer.jpg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I have one the bike is great but I would get it with a key not remote keyless.

I have had some issues with the remote had to take it to the shop a couple of times.

Yes. The R-Model is the one to go for. It also has better rear suspension than the more expensive ABS version for some reason. However the front is too soft on all of them IMO.

4 hours ago, Henryford said:

As it isn't a step through doesn't that make carrying stuff more difficult at the front?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

As it isn't a step through doesn't that make carrying stuff more difficult at the front?

Yes. I installed a hook. And although good for small bags, large bags hanging to the side means one of your feet is dangling until you get home.

But I wouldn't go back to a step through because the Aerox is just so stable, big bike feel. I just plan my big bag shopping to my last stop before home. It's doable. And if I didn't have my GF's helmet under the seat, most big bags fit easily there.