Nordvpn & PIA

stament

I'm looking for a good VPN that will allow me to do my banking transactions and also watch BBC iPlayer.

Has any members got any experience using NordVpn and Private Internet Access VPN that they can share please.

Many thanks

I use ipvanish.

I don't watch iplayer, so can't say for sure that it works, but for everything else, I don't have a problem.

I also have a free vpn on another device called orbot.

Its by the same developers as tor browser, and it suggests servers for different applications, including watching BBC I player.

Im very impressed with it and would recommend anyone to Google it and see what they think.

Its available for download on apkpure.

4 hours ago, MyThaiYou said:

Why do people mention using a VPN for their UK online banking?  I've been doing my UK online banking - half a dozen different UK banks and building societies - without a VPN for past 20 years living in Thailand.  Am I missing something...?  

Good point. I can access my UK Nationwide account with no problems. They even have my mobile number and address in my profile, which is handy because they now send new VISA cards to me here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, up-country_sinclair said:

Is there a way to get around this and have my bank think I'm in the US?

I really don't know. If the banks have all the IP addresses of the VPN providers then they can decide whether to let you connect. I'll ask at my Computer Group meeting and see what others say. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

I had nothing but problems with NordVPN for the last 8 month.

Every morning when starting my PC I have to start task manager and close Nordvpn and then I can start Nordvpn and get it working.

I have removed the program and re-installed, been in contact with Nordvpn several times but nothing helps.

I am using Win10 and my Nordvpn is also the 3 years deal.

No more Nordvpn for me.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Every morning when starting my PC I have to start task manager and close Nordvpn and then I can start Nordvpn and get it working.

I have removed the program and re-installed, been in contact with Nordvpn several times but nothing helps.

No more Nordvpn for me.

I suspect the issue is with your PC rather than NordVPN. NordVPN runs like clockwork on my PC, phone, laptop, tablet & android TV box.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I suspect the issue is with your PC rather than NordVPN. NordVPN runs like clockwork on my PC, phone, laptop, tablet & android TV box.

I think you are right, it's only on my PC its giving problems.

1 hour ago, guzzi850m2 said:

No more Nordvpn for me.

I've had a lot of problems with NordVPN too, and that's why I will not renew my 3-year deal. 100% problems if I have any other VPN software installed. If I only have NordVPN installed, I have intermittent problems.

For whatever reason my US banks don't like me using VPN (NordVPN here but shouldn't matter) and won't allow me to access their sites.  On one hand VPN is more secure but on the other hand hackers from outside the US could use it to disguise their location.  In the US the banks don't seem to be too concerned about consumer security in general as none of the major banks that I've seen allow the use hardware keys.  Maybe without keys liability in the event of a hack and fund loss is more nebulous and with keys the liability would likely fall on the bank?  Just guessing at their reasoning...

1 hour ago, Stocky said:

But as mentioned above a VPN connection adds an additional level of security, especially if you're travelling and connecting via hotel/public Wi-Fi.

I never use hotel/public WiFi for banking. Scares me silly. I also don't use "apps" on my phone for such, although it's getting harder and harder to not use them.

Standing in line at a checkout with cash in hand waiting to pay while some trendy young kid tries to use his new phone to pay... geez! Perhaps they should have "cash" only lines like they used to, to stop people paying by cheque.

/Rant over.

I swiched from PureVPN (Long, frustrating story) to SURFSHARK 8 months ago and have never had a single issue with Netflix, Amazon Prime or my 2 US Banks.  It connects instantly, no endless searching like PURE and has a lot of server options worldwide.  Pretty good sign-up deals and very low annual fees.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/28/2021 at 8:17 AM, fdsa said:

Standing in line at a checkout with open bank app waiting to make instant and hygienic payment via QR code while some old farter tries to count his dirty COVID-spreading papers and coins to pay... geez! Perhaps they should have "cash" only lines like they used to, to stop people being the masters of their wealth.

Sounds like the beginning of a song....

Standing in line to see the show tonight......

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

Best voice, after Elvis.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that, however I did enjoy their "new wave" synthesiser music and I did know all of the words of this song off by heart, and I sang it along with the landlord's daughter at a famous pub in my hometown in Sussex, and got rapturous applause – – mind you we'd all had a few (drinks, that is!)!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/26/2021 at 1:25 PM, Stocky said:

I've been using NordVPN the last three years, I've recently renewed for another three. It works fine for BBC iPlayer and internet banking with Nationwide. 

However, you do not NEED a VPN to do Nationwide.

I have Express, $99 for 15 months, and it is 100% good. You can set up shortcuts on it's desktop say BBC, ITV, Ch4, Ch5 and , for me, ustvgo.tv, for which I switch to USA.

My two lads in Dubai also use this account.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2021 at 8:13 PM, JetsetBkk said:

Good point. I can access my UK Nationwide account with no problems. They even have my mobile number and address in my profile, which is handy because they now send new VISA cards to me here.

Nationwide send visa cards to Thailand? Are you sure