Ad blocker for Android system

Susco

Anyone can recommend an ad blocker for Android, which does not require root or doesn't make use of VPN?

Please note, I'm not looking for a browser extension, but an ad blocker that blocks ads pushed by apps installed on the phone.

As of lately when I open my file manager, or some other system apps, there is a large ad. I hate ads

5 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Surely you can adjust those in the "notif8cations" setting of your device. Just turn off notifications from those apps that are bugging you, job done unless I am not understanding correctly.

It are not notifications, and I don't know which apps are sending them.

When I open my file manager, there will be a half screen ad, suggesting installing an app or visit a website. The ad changes every time I open the file manager, so it isn't an app that promotes itself.

Ok, oone of two things, either an app you have installed is running them, (mostly likely) so the only way to stop it is remove that app. Alternatively you have inadvertantly installed malware on your system and that needs removing.

I suggest you run a malware app first, see if that resolves it, if not you are going to have to check your apps for the culprit.

27 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I suggest you run a malware app first, see if that resolves it, if not you are going to have to check your apps for the culprit.

Ran a malwarebytes scan, and it found 1 infection in an app that is on my phone for ages.

Removed the infection, ads are still there.

Now finding the app is easier said than done, because it suggest me installing apps that are not related to any app installed on my phone.

Earlier it suggested installing an adobe app, however I have nothing adobe installed on my phone.

Right now it suggested installing a game app.

I have tried a few adblocker yesterday, but since my phone isn't rooted, they all use a VPN connection.

With a rooted phone I would just paste a hosts file and be done with it.

It works well with those ad blockers, but I don't like the VPN thing, as I think it will slow down the phone and drains battery.

1 hour ago, Susco said:

I have tried a few adblocker yesterday, but since my phone isn't rooted, they all use a VPN connection.

Afaik these are the only two options to block ads in third party apps directly on your smartphone.

To block ads when using your Wifi you could alternatively do this: https://pi-hole.net/ (this will obviously not work when using your phone's 4G connection)

Edited by jackdd