Bangkok vs. Mexico City

moontang

Beside the here already mentioned, Mexico offers easy access to neighbouring countries Panama, Kolombia, Belize with open borders and access to USA by land (!vaccine pass will come!), Mexicans are not as much hysteric as the Asians and they do not follow always the set rules...too much red tape and control for foreigners in Thailand. 
You could also say that Asia is perceived as more charming than Latin America. Mexican restaurants are expensive in comparison to those in Asia. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

My feeling exactly.  There are much better places in Mexico for retirement.  I'd never trade Bangkok for Mexico City.  Never.

My friend lives in Guanajuato and loves it.  Other friends live in Chapala and love it.  Same with Puerto Vallarta.  I had some friends live in Zia/Ixtapa for a long time and they loved it.

Just had 2 friends leave Costa Rica after 20 years.  Tired of the hassles and paperwork for everything. 

You may confuse our readers. Costa Rica is in Central America. I thought border runs were still pretty easy down there - aside from covid.

• Like 1

Just now, whaleboneman said:

You may confuse our readers. Costa Rica is in Central America. I thought border runs were still pretty easy down there - aside from covid.

LOL.  Yes, CR is south of Mexico in Central America.  Border runs are easy.  It's dealing with all the bureaucracy that's the problem.  Getting your car registered.  Setting up a bank account.  Etc. And over time, the border runs get old.  A royal pain.

This is what my friends told me.  I've only spent 4 weeks touring the country as a tourist. 

14 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Border runs are easy

Really? Mexico is HUGE, unlike Thailand.

I rode the bus 24 hours from Phoenix, Arizona to Guadalajara.  And Guad is in Northern Mexico, not the South.

Compared to Guatemala (think Panajachel, my Gringo friends) which is TINY.  And COOL.  Mexico is another BLAZING HOT country in most locations that Gringos congregate.

You've never heard of Maruata or Huatla de Jimenez.  Not enough Gringos there.

You want to live in Gringolandia, not Mexico.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Really? Mexico is HUGE, unlike Thailand.

I rode the bus 24 hours from Phoenix, Arizona to Guadalajara.  And Guad is in Northern Mexico, not the South.

Compared to Guatemala (think Panajachel, my Gringo friends) which is TINY.  And COOL.  Mexico is another BLAZING HOT country in most locations that Gringos congregate.

You've never heard of Maruata or Huatla de Jimenez.  Not enough Gringos there.

You want to live in Gringolandia, not Mexico.

Yes, Mexico is really big.  I've spent a long time cruising around Mexico in an RV.  Loved it.  But I think the other member was talking about border runs in CR.  Though I've not been in either Mexico nor CR for a long time.

Like here in Thailand, I do want to be around others who speak English and share a bit of my culture.  And have the ability to have some Western influences.

Love Mexico, but not sure I could be in a very small town with no foreigners. 

• Like 2

Mexico city is a bad idea. A really bad idea. And so is the rest of Mexico. It is rife with crime and murder. The criminal gangs and drug gangs are in full control. YOU have ZERO control for your own safety. Police, even if they are not on the take they cannot help you. Don't let anyone give you the idea that Mexico is a practical option. There is a retirement abroad newsletter that tries to push Mexico all the time. Good luck and stay safe!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

A couple of "high crime" sterotypes aside, a couple of good representations above.

I left Thailand last year in February and moved full-time to Merida, Yucatan, Mexico.  VERY low crime.  Often the #1 on lists of safest cities in N.America and in the top 10 of safest cities in the world.  Police here are well-paid and not corrupt like in some other places we all know.

Love the central plaza in Merida.  Beautiful town.  And from what I've heard, very safe. 

So far, how are you liking the transition?  We're considering something similar.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

Yes, the central plaza is historic and beautiful.  Nice park with big trees to sit under.  Throughout Merida are the typical Mexican parks anchored with the local Catholic church,.

I had done a trial run, my "Merida Experiment," in 2014 to see if I would like living here.  I rented a house from a friend for nine months.  I was very happy & comfortable here.  The only reason I returned to Thailand was inertia:  I had a condo and all my belongings there.  The "new & improved" financial requirements in 2019 for a Thai retirement extension were the straw that broke my back.  That said, I plan to keep my Jomtien condo and spend a couple months there each year.  Until I tire of that, too.  LOL

In my post above, I forgot to touch on home ownership.  Foreigners can own a house, condo, and land outright.  The exception is:  foreigners are not permitted to own property within 100 kilometers of foreign borders or within 50 kilometers of the sea. The entire city of Mérida falls into that exclusion zone.

The workaround is a (totally legal) system of placing a property in a trust, or fideicomiso.  A fidei is not to be confused with the "company ownership" sham in Thailand.  With a fidei, you have full rights of sole ownership and can legally sell to either another foreigner or a Mexican.

Also, with a Resident visa, I understand that under the Mexican Constitution you have all the same legal rights as a Mexican citizen except the right to vote.  I don't know if that is absolutely true to the smallest detail, but from what I've heard, in general it seems to be true.

Excellent information!  Thanks!!!  We love Thailand, but been here a long time and are ready for a change.  We've spent a lot of time in Mexico, RV'ing mainly on the West coast and Baja.  We got down to Puerto Vallarta, but turned around as it's a loooong drive back in an RV.

I found it to be a bit more expensive than here in Thailand.  We love the food, but I really love Thai/Asian food.

What about medical?  How are the hospitals there? 

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

It's dealing with all the bureaucracy that's the problem.  Getting your car registered.  Setting up a bank account.  Etc. And over time, the border runs get old.  A royal pain.

Then someone coming from Thailand shouldn't be disoriented here.

It sounds very familiar 

On a more serious note my daughter is living since few years 

in San Cristobal de las casas, obtaining a visa and to renew it have never been a problem and she has been able to work here without any problem at all, imo it's a big difference with what i have experienced here in Thailand

And it seems the safety is not a concern, at least in this city

(Except the usual basics precautions)

Edited by kingofthemountain

1 hour ago, kingofthemountain said:

Then someone coming from Thailand shouldn't be disoriented here.

It sounds very familiar 

On a more serious note my daughter is living since few years 

in San Cristobal de las casas, obtaining a visa and to renew it have never been a problem and she has been able to work here without any problem at all, imo it's a big difference with what i have experienced here in Thailand

And it seems the safety is not a concern, at least in this city

(Except the usual basics precautions)

I've not really had problems here with bureaucracy here.  Having a Thai wife makes a huge difference.  To live in Mexico, you absolutely have to speak Spanish.  You can get away without speaking Thai here.

My comments were in reference to Costa Rica.  Don't know about Mexico.  Sorry for going off topic!!!

7 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

My feeling exactly.  There are much better places in Mexico for retirement.  I'd never trade Bangkok for Mexico City.  Never.

My friend lives in Guanajuato and loves it.  Other friends live in Chapala and love it.  Same with Puerto Vallarta.  I had some friends live in Zia/Ixtapa for a long time and they loved it.

Just had 2 friends leave Costa Rica after 20 years.  Tired of the hassles and paperwork for everything. 

Mexico City is more suited to  younger working expats including digital nomads because it's so exciting and great nightlife. 

• Like 1

As others have said Mexico is open but they've paid a big price. 

Unlike Thailand Mexico offers quite easy and fast paths towards permanent residency or citizenship.

I would have moved to Mexico instead of Thailand when I moved to Thailand if I had been eligible back then.

There are relatively safe areas there even in Mexico City.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

As others have said Mexico is open but they've paid a big price. 

Unlike Thailand Mexico offers quite easy and fast paths towards permanent residency or citizenship.

I would have moved to Mexico instead of Thailand when I moved to Thailand if I had been eligible back then.

There are relatively safe areas there even in Mexico City.

I'm a sucker for old colonial architecture.  I'm sure I'd love visiting Mexico City.  But I'm not a big city person.  Been there, done that.  I like smaller cities now. LOL

2 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

I'm a sucker for old colonial architecture.  I'm sure I'd love visiting Mexico City.  But I'm not a big city person.  Been there, done that.  I like smaller cities now. LOL

Yeah. Queretaro is getting a lot more attention these days.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gejohesch said:

I generally agree with all that. I only spent 6 weeks around Mexico 2 years ago (Guanajuato, San Miguel de Allende, Quereretaro, Morelia, Puebla, San Cristobal de las Casas, Oaxaca etc). Just loved it. Great friendly people, very spontaneous, easy to communicate with, a lot easier than with Thais (I speak both Thai and Spanish well enough to converse). Obviously, Mexicans are on the whole much closer culturally to gringos. I lived 4 years in BKK (worked there) and can say that Mexico City beats BKK with the beauty of the city (a pleasure to walk around, as opposed to infernal BKK), with its climate, with the culture (there are heaps of things to see, great museums, amazing architecture both ancient and modern). Cost of living seemed to be rather close to BKK. I don't know about medical costs, having just been a tourist.

All in all, I was so impressed with Mexico, not just the city but the country. I'd love to go back. Btw, I travelled with my Thai wife, she loved it as much as I did. If I was not "anchored" in Thailand, I would seriously consider retiring somewhere in Mexico.

I'd go along with most of that.

Once you get past the cartel stereotypes a lot of Mexico is fantastic. 

Mexico City, apart from the cultural aspects, museums, art galleries, plus it's generally beautiful which BKK  can't even come close to competing with, I actually couldn't live there for the same reasons I couldn't live in BKK.

Huge city teeming with people, just isn't my thing.

But the culture is obviously closer and it's easier to adapt. Now I'm hispanic so speak Spanish, but again even if you don't, Spanish is a much easier language to learn than a tonal language, especially as an older individual.

My ancestral home is Guadalajara, and I still have family members who live there. That size city is a good compromise for me, lots of culture, great food, quick flight back to the US, and not the teeming mass of humanity that is a Mexico City or BKK

• Like 2

On 4/26/2021 at 8:02 PM, bunnydrops said:

Mexico City

nicer weather, not so humid

Less pollution, Improved greatly over the years

VIOLENT, Mexico in general

A bit more expensive to live.

For Americans, an easy trip home.

Girls, less passive, Fun but hell when mad

Language easier to learn

You are clearly not married to a Thai.

Get them mad and the screaming can rival any Mexican telenovela!

• Haha 2