Brake failure! Truck plows into 27 vehicles in Nakhon Ratchasima

webfact

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

In 45 years of driving, not only have I never had brake failure in any vehicle I have been driving , I have never heard of anyone in the west who has. Its a common excuse here, trotted out every time the driver has been drunk, drugged, on his phone or driving too fast. 

Yep , 1977, drove from Cornwall to Bristol with just a handbrake ! Wheel cylinder went, bank holiday and limped it back.(old mini).

The way they check brakes here is count the pedals ! Yep has 3, good to go. ???? (manual)

Actually had a guy once ask why there was only 2 ! (Automatic)

6 hours ago, worrab said:

Do they not have exhaust brakes over here? Are they not taught how to drive HGVs? Are they not taught to approach steep hills in the rain in lower gears especially if fully loaded? It seems to me that with all these kinds of accidents that lack of proper training springs to mind!

They are taught how to turn the key and start the truck... that's it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, worrab said:

Do they not have exhaust brakes over here? Are they not taught how to drive HGVs? Are they not taught to approach steep hills in the rain in lower gears especially if fully loaded? It seems to me that with all these kinds of accidents that lack of proper training springs to mind!

Did you get a driving course in LOS?

They learns nothing at all.

• Like 1

It's important to distinguish between brake failure and inability to stop moving in a timely fashion. 

The former is a failure of vehicle equipment. The latter is most often due to driver error though there are occasionally external factors outside the driver's control. 

Personally I'd bet money it's the drivers fault, as it most often is in this society. 

In any case no lesson will be learned and it will happen again soon. 

8 hours ago, worrab said:

AND in the event of an accident ... drug and alcohol tests car or truck inspections . maintenance  repairs .. 

this guy is blaming the company for poor brakes ..definitely inspect company

yes as others have said .. the first story is not the last story ....  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pilotman said:

In 45 years of driving, not only have I never had brake failure in any vehicle I have been driving , I have never heard of anyone in the west who has. Its a common excuse here, trotted out every time the driver has been drunk, drugged, on his phone or driving too fast. 

Haha, posts of this sort are very funny.... 

"In my  gazillion years of driving experience in every single country on earth I have never had a single accident, I am the best driver in the world and I should be awarded for it. Give me an F1 car and I would be 20 seconds ahead of Lewis Hamilton in any track you can mention... My worst experiences are in Thailand where nobody can drive and blah blah I really stand out cuz I am the best in the road by far I never make mistakes..." ????

Mate I highly doubt you have ever in your life driven anything bigger than a pick-up truck. When you drive a real truck (and not those wannabe pick-ups) and specially when you are fully loaded you will learn that if you drive too fast and use the break too much you will overheat them and eventually they will not be able to stop you. 

There is a chance the driver lacked proper training to drive that vehicle, and him losing the brakes was a result of his lack of training. BUT brakes failures are much more common than you have experienced in your 45 years of driving experience. 

I'll laugh for a while now...

17 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Happened to me once when I was working in a service station and had been driving a broken down customers car back to the garage for a once over. The service station is at the foot of a hill, right on a very treacherous bend where people lost it regularly.

Coming down the hill slowly as the car was unfamiliar, the guy way up front signalled right, i covered the brake to find the pedal on the floor. Pumped it, nothing. Yanked the handbrake - nothing. Had a split second to decide whether to accelerate and pass him before he turned (remember the bend up ahead) or hope he didn't hesitate on his turn. Changed down to second gear and missed his rear end by a baw hair. Rolled to a stop outside the garage and just sat for a few minutes. The boss was livid at the customer, told him where to go and pushed his car down a side road and left it there.

Very scary few seconds.

Edited by Saltire
  • Like 1

In the US you may be pulled over at any time by DOT ( department of transportation ) they check your truck or bus out completely all over for anything from brakes to oil leaks, tires and so on. If you get a ticket you have to have it repaired and the signed letter from the garage mechanic sent to the DOT in a certain number of days. If in a accident the driver has one day to report to a clinic for a drug test, if found in your system your heavy equipment licenses are taken away for good. 

17 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

You're drunk again !    That wasn't posted by me and the man who did post it said ''UK......AND Europe'' !!

You are so funny ???? I do not drink at all... and if the UK is a part of Europe ( which is a fact) is useless to say in the UK AND Europe. Isn't it ?

On 4/27/2021 at 11:17 AM, worrab said:

I have driven HGV'S &  PSV'S  too,  & in over 40 years of driving i have never had brake failure, lucky me, say some...but it happens  on a regular basis in Thailand........its an excuse  that the police believe, no one here know any thing about  rules of the highway code, they make thier own rules , thats why it will never change here

On 4/27/2021 at 9:46 AM, Ventenio said:

This is one of the RARE instances where I'm not going to immediately blame the driver.  The rain was crazy, it's hard to really "test" your brakes beforehand, and when your brakes go..........well, it's too late.  

I could ask for service records, etc......but let's not get crazy now.  

i'm sure we'll blame him later, maybe going too fast for conditions, etc....but I've had brakes go before in a western country......not an accident, but scary.  

Commercial vehicles are equipped with spring brakes. You need sufficient air pressure to release them. The air pressure falls the brakes are automatically applied. As far as checking them goes, climb under and check the travel, if there is more than one and a half inches of travel, correct the slack adjuster until the travel is within limits. So easy, but nobody wants to do it in the rain and it should be done at the beginning of every trip.

1 minute ago, ramrod711 said:

Commercial vehicles are equipped with spring brakes. You need sufficient air pressure to release them. The air pressure falls the brakes are automatically applied. As far as checking them goes, climb under and check the travel, if there is more than one and a half inches of travel, correct the slack adjuster until the travel is within limits. So easy, but nobody wants to do it in the rain and it should be done at the beginning of every trip.

Also another facet....  Heavy lorry + Idiot behind the wheel...  Going down a long hill, riding the brakes to control the speed (instead of using a low gear), allowing himself to build up too much speed... Apples more brake, brakes get hot...   continues on to next corner, riding the brakes, brakes continue getting too hot, applies more brake, brakes over heat and no longer function....     Brake Failure !!!!.....  at least at the times the driver didn’t fall asleep, was speeding, texting etc... 

On 4/27/2021 at 9:46 AM, Ventenio said:

This is one of the RARE instances where I'm not going to immediately blame the driver.  The rain was crazy, it's hard to really "test" your brakes beforehand, and when your brakes go..........well, it's too late.  

I could ask for service records, etc......but let's not get crazy now.  

i'm sure we'll blame him later, maybe going too fast for conditions, etc....but I've had brakes go before in a western country......not an accident, but scary.  

Rubbish, this is not a steep hill. A loaded truck in low gear would not even need brakes for this hill. Plenty of visibility too so if cars were stopped up ahead he would've seen it a km in advance.

Like every other truck on this hill, he was probably trying to use the slope to build up speed while looking only 10m in front of him and so only began to brake 10m before impact.

slope.thumb.png.c1fc298aefaf1161e9772c823899d406.png

Edited by wprime

5 minutes ago, wprime said:

Rubbish, this is not a steep hill. A loaded truck in low gear would not even need brakes for this hill. Plenty of visibility too so if cars were stopped up ahead he would've seen it a km in advance.

Like every other truck on this hill, he was probably trying to use the slope to build up speed while looking only 10m in front of him and so only began to brake 10m before impact.

[IMG]https://we.id.au/share/slope.png[/IMG]

Valid point....     its brake failure or brain failure then... 

The armchair detective in me suggests: Speeding and not paying attention !!..

When these excuses are made, the BiB don’t ever bother test the brakes and call BS !!! 

Edited by richard_smith237

On 4/27/2021 at 2:17 PM, worrab said:

First they have to get their license before they get into all that technical stuff