"Worrying" situation on Koh Chang - business leader expects island to be shut for up to three weeks

webfact

9pm.jpg

Picture: Manager

The worst fears of many have come to Koh Chang, the holiday island in Trat on the eastern seaboard.

The Songkran holidays meant that tourists - Thai mostly - brought Covid-19.

Four hotel staff have tested positive. But they are just the official figures.

Manager quoting their sources said that the number is in double figures and the situation on the island is "worrying".

9pm1.jpg9pm1.jpg

Picture: Manager

District chief Chatchai Thonglee has ordered an island-wide "big cleaning" operation.

He stressed that the island remains open as he fears closure would result in a bad economic impact.

For now there is a mask wearing and PR drive encouraging those at risk to quarantine. 

But the sources said that it was inevitable that the island would be shut down for two to three weeks.

Indeed local tourism business leader Saksit Mungkarn was fearing that would be the case.

He accepted that was what would likely happen despite the blow of missing out on a four day holiday in early May. 

Many people in Thailand said it was madness to advocate holiday travel at the Thai new year holidays in mid April. 

The government did just that now places like Koh Chang are set to pay the penalty.

Koh Samet has already been shut to tourism for two weeks from today after cases there too. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-04-27

• Like 1

Boo Hoo. How sad that a small part of Thailand missed out on domestic tourists during Songkran,

Does District chief Chatchai Thonglee not understand that ALL of Thailand is suffering, not just his tiny little empire?

Why should his island get a higher priority than anywhere else?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Manager quoting their sources said that the number is in double figures and the situation on the island is "worrying"

Never mind I'm sure you all enjoyed the Songkran spending spree... hope you saved something for a rainy day.... it's about to p*ss down.

• Thanks 1

Richard Barrow now reporting a change of mind:

UPDATE: At a meeting this afternoon, it was decided not to close Koh Chang island to tourists. The reasoning is that this time they are more experienced and have faith that strict measures will help contain the virus. So far, eight people on the island have tested positive

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Richard Barrow now reporting a change of mind:

UPDATE: At a meeting this afternoon, it was decided not to close Koh Chang island to tourists. The reasoning is that this time they are more experienced and have faith that strict measures will help contain the virus. So far, eight people on the island have tested positive

Since they are not mass testing, I'd say that number is far higher.  It's a small island and not that much is open.  A bit scary.

But what worries me more is the mandatory covid test.  A false positive puts you in the lovely field hospital.  At your cost.  Not sure I'd want to risk that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

both UK and Ireland, my home country , decided Christmas was precious and we had to have a couple of days off from our vigilance . The results were very saddening . It’s not just Thailand that make these blind irrational decisions to drop restrictions to avoid unpopularity at festive times of the year. 

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 6:31 AM, Jeffr2 said:

Since they are not mass testing, I'd say that number is far higher.  It's a small island and not that much is open.  A bit scary.

But what worries me more is the mandatory covid test.  A false positive puts you in the lovely field hospital.  At your cost.  Not sure I'd want to risk that.

A small island? It's the second biggest after Phuket. 

I would agree there is much more than being let known. The migrant workers living conditions means the camps are a hot bed.

Edited by Sametboy2019
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Sametboy2019 said:

A small island? It's the second biggest after Phuket. 

I would agree there is much more than being let known. The migrant workers living conditions means the camps are a hot bed.

It is still only 217 sq/km with a Population: 8,538 (2019).

I live in Kamphaeng Phet province, amphur Klong Lan which has an area of 1,140.2 km2  and a Population: 63,106 (2005).

Even the sub district where I live has a larger population Khlong Lan Phatthana    คลองลานพัฒนา    21 villages and a population of  23,699.

So, yes it is still only a small place yet they are still complaining and wanting more.