Please Do Not be like this Guy

sqwakvfr

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

After finishing my pancake and eggs, I paid my bill and left an extra tip to show my appreciation. 

Good for you but you've now set yourself a precedent there!   How much 'appreciation' did you leave her?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

i usually give THINGS to old or young people.   Almost always clothes.  Cold weather gear, shoes, old electronic stuff......it's random with me.  probably given away 50,000 baht worth of stuff (used prices).  

massage, tip.   food, depends.   usually not.

i'm not sure this warrants a thread.....seems whatever.  

NOW.... If the threw his food on the ground, did a runner, and then got naked and tried to swim .....  then that is a post.

falangs not wearing masks in 711 is worse than this

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What's so "aggressive" about it?

I just re-read the OP, and It turns out I read it incorrectly.  I thought he had ripped the note into two pieces and left it as a tip. This is why I wanted to know his side of the story. Upon re-reading, it only says that the note had been torn.

So, to "that guy" in Chiang Mai, please accept my apologies for accusing you of being aggressive.  You might also think about being kinder to people in the service industry.  

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Have you been in the USA? Most service establishments pay minimum wage or less. Tipping 10 -20% is expected practice. It's a significant part of income. Even hotel room cleaners expect something.

True, it's not mandatory. But as a waiter there once said to me, if you don't leave a tip, don't come back. Because it's very likely if they remember, nasty things will happen.

So what you're saying is tipping is only mandatory if you plan to visit the establishment again.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

I could tell by the look on her face that she was disappointed.

Just possibly it was the fact that the king's face is on the currency. At least inthe past, Thais have taken the handling of money very seriously because of that. 

• Thanks 1

I have always been one to tip moderately, e.g. 20 baht, although I have tipped 100 baht when the service is exceptional, no wife didn't tell me to put my tongue back in because of the waitress serving us.

The above said, if my wife says she is paying, I do try to discourage her, because here comes the loose coins and most times they barley reach the 20 baht mark.

Just the fact that the guy left a 20 baht tip IMO is better than most not tipping, I am sure the old guy didn't expect the waitress to take offence, if I ever saw a waitress roll her eyes form receiving a tip, I would make sure she would get one next time.

5 minutes ago, wprime said:

So what you're saying is tipping is only mandatory if you plan to visit the establishment again.

I keep it simple, I don't tip if I am dissatisfied with the service, and I never go back either.

I'd suggest anyone staying in a US town would run out of places to go if they never tipped.

As far as Thailand is concerned, I tip because I know what staff earn here, and their earnings are miniscule.

• Like 1

No big deal at all. Money is money. The day of torn bills being off limits here is in a sense gone. She should be happy to have anything. So give her some old USA dollars or a torn USA dollar or two as a tip and have her try to go exchange it for THB. Then she will have a hard time than just using a torn Thai bill that is accepted..

• Confused 1